CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Dunn River Falls and a Camera (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/343333-dunn-river-falls-camera.html)

singjenn December 11th, 2007 02:29 AM

Dunn River Falls and a Camera

Hey everyone. I am looking at taking this excursion in February. I am a photographer and can't pass up a great photo op and I thought this would be a perfect place. Is it safe to take a camera to the falls? Is there anywhere to leave it safely if I want to swim? Will hiding under my towel be enough? Is the area small so i can keep an eye on it? Do you get wet climbing up the falls because I would love to take pictures climbing up. Thanks!

Donna December 11th, 2007 05:40 AM

Your guide up the falls would be happy to handle your camera for you and also take pics of you on the falls. Yes, cameras would get wet during the climb. I didn't recall any type of lockers to lock things while there, you can leave items on the locked bus, but you'd still want your camera.

singjenn December 11th, 2007 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna
Your guide up the falls would be happy to handle your camera for you and also take pics of you on the falls. Yes, cameras would get wet during the climb. I didn't recall any type of lockers to lock things while there, you can leave items on the locked bus, but you'd still want your camera.

Thanks but unfortunately they is no way I would let someone use my camera for us, although it's nice they offer. Plus, it's a rpo camera and not many people are able to use it. Maybe I will get a cheap water camera just for that? Thanks for the info!

Donna December 11th, 2007 05:16 PM

Good idea, you really don't want to risk an expensive camera, when a disposable water camera will do the trick.

singjenn December 11th, 2007 08:49 PM

Quote:

Good idea, you really don't want to risk an expensive camera, when a disposable water camera will do the trick.

Thanks, that sounds great. I think if we decide to go with the excursion I will do that. Is there anywhere nice to swim at the falls? I don't want to just climb up them. I'd like to stay and swim.

Donna December 11th, 2007 08:57 PM

There is a small beach at the start (bottom) of the falls.

singjenn December 11th, 2007 10:53 PM

Quote:

There is a small beach at the start (bottom) of the falls.

Is it nice?? Clean water? How much does it cost to go up the falls?? And is it worth it? Are there restrooms there?

LisaK December 12th, 2007 11:57 AM

another photo option at Dunns River Falls is to use the walkway that goes alongside the falls, there is a bridge about 1/2 way up the falls that gives a great view of the goings on. If you want to climb the falls then purchasing a disposable underwater camera is the way to go.

singjenn December 12th, 2007 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaK
another photo option at Dunns River Falls is to use the walkway that goes alongside the falls, there is a bridge about 1/2 way up the falls that gives a great view of the goings on. If you want to climb the falls then purchasing a disposable underwater camera is the way to go.

I have another question :D After you walk up the falls can you come and go as you please...do they make you leave right away? I owuld love to go down teh stairs to get some photos. I dont want to be rushed after I climb.

Do they make you leave all your stuff on the bus/van on on the beach while you climb?

Donna December 12th, 2007 06:30 PM

If you want your stuff to be left in a secure place, leave it on the bus. There is no place to keep it while you do tha falls and you can't carry it with you. There are areas where the water is waist deep, even difficult to hold your own camera. If you are going with a tour and on a bus, its pretty much finished when you reach the top. Beware, there are some local vendors when you finish and they can be extremely pushy, so just say no politely, that may work??

singjenn December 12th, 2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

If you want your stuff to be left in a secure place, leave it on the bus. There is no place to keep it while you do tha falls and you can't carry it with you. There are areas where the water is waist deep, even difficult to hold your own camera. If you are going with a tour and on a bus, its pretty much finished when you reach the top. Beware, there are some local vendors when you finish and they can be extremely pushy, so just say no politely, that may work??

Thanks for your answer. Is there an actual fee to climb the falls or is the fee you pay on Carnival just the transport fee? thanks!

ScurvyDog December 17th, 2007 07:55 PM

The fee you pay on Carnival covers transport and climbing the falls. There are several different tours available that include the falls. Last year we did a snorkle and falls trip with transport by bus. This year we took the "Cool Runnings" catamaran falls and beach tour that turned out really well. Rode the Cat to the falls, did the climb, and then walk back down beside the falls ( excellent photo op ) to the water. Back on the cat (open bar & loud music) to the beach for 2 hours and then back to the ship. The trip is pretty structured so not a lot of time to wander off on your own.