Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Beginner

Default Looking for fun things to do in Grand Cayman!!

Looking for any input for things to do in Grand Cayman. Sailing in Feb 08
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

For sure, look into snorkeling with the Sting Rays at Sting Ray City. Its really something to do at least once in your lifetime.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 4th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Yes, Stingray City is not to be missed, I loved it. I also think Boatswain's (Bosun) Beach (the old Cayman Turtle farm), and Hell are not to be missed. Most lines will have a tour that takes you to all three, but you have to be careful that one stop doesn't take up all the time (as Stingray City can if you get a boat that rowing back to shore would be faster...).

Shopping in George Town is easy, it is right across form wherer the tenders let you off. Tottuga rum stores are all over the place if you plan on buying some rum or rum cakes (a must!).

Whena re you going and what ship?

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Georgetown has gotten so crowded it is ridiculous and there are few bargains. I would opt for a tour. If you have never been swimming with the sting rays make that number 1.

Other than that, Hell is interesting for about a 1/2 hour tops. The turtle farm is a snore.
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Passenger

Has anyone rented a moped to get around on the island? If so, what are the best places to visit and how much do the mopeds cost. I'd like to do some snorkeling and visit a nice beach (or two).

Thanks
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Feb. 2007 we visited the Tortuga Rum factory and the turtle farm. Great experience. First time we've ever been that close to or held sea turtles. They were in the process of expanding the park. Looks like they've completed the 2 lagoons, the aviary, a swimming area. I'd like to go back to see the many changes they've made.

http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/index.html

Swam with the stingrays on a previous stop on Grand Cayman and it was WONDERFUL!!! Took a boat out to a sandbar and they swam all around you. One was such a bugger for food that it wasn't shy about swimming up the front of me as I stood in neck-deep water (I'm short ). Just remember to feed them with an open palm....I let one of my finger tips get in the way and got a slight "nip". No damage done, though. :-)
Old January 20th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Passenger

I wouldn't miss Sting ray city, as for anything else, there are NO bargains in Grand Cayman. I would do sting ray city in the AM and then spend the rest of the day at Seven Mile Beach, if you enter through the Hyatt, it is really nice there, you can rent a jet ski or just walk along the beach. I went to Grand Cayman for a week and there isn't that much to do. The botanical Gardens are nice, they have extinct lizards (blue lizard) that were cool. Another nice place is Rumpoint Beach, Your boat may offer an excursion to sting ray city and then rum point. Good luck- Hope this helps- Dont waste your time at the turtle farm or hell!!!!
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lks1165
Dont waste your time at the turtle farm or hell!!!!
Yes, we could have done without the stop at HELL, but many of the tours make a stop there. Definitely a tourist stop probably to bring business to the store and the chance to send a postcard home postmarked HELL. Not our cup of tea, but, may be something others would care to send back home. But we did find it interesting that on the back wall of the store was a water level mark that showed how much the island was flooded by Hurricane Ivan. Everyone was back on the bus in a matter of 10-15 minutes, so the bus driver didn't prolong the agony and took us to our next stop.

But, anyone who has an interest in sea turtles - especially those with children or are big kids themselves, might enjoy the turtle farm. They've since done some expansion, while might further appeal to folks

To each their own.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
Beginner

Default Just went for Honeymoon

We booked a tour through our cruise line and it took us to the Turtle Farm, Hell, and also Sting Ray city. Turtle Farm was AWESOME, you get to hold them and have your picture taken holding them. It was so cool and would do it again in a heart beat. Hell was cool, the gift shops there were a bit expensive but had some really neat things. Plus we sent a post card back hone to the united states that was cool. Sting Ray city, didn't realize you actually got in the OCEAN with the wild sting rays. I thought it would be a habitat for Sting Rays but it was the actually ocean, so I did not get in. They water looked liked it came up to mid chest. Alothouh I did not get in the water with them it was an amazing experience and great picture taking setting. All in all that tour was money well spent. Would defiently do all of it again.
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Passenger

Default Grand Cayman

We took the tour that included the turtle farm, Hell and Sting Ray City. The turtle farm was interesting (if you are really into animals), Hell was vastly overstated :evil: (not much to see and nothing to do) but Sting Ray City made it the best shore excursion we have had from any of our cruises. A great experience and you don't have to even be able to swim! 8)
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Tiffany - personally i wouldn't even think about renting a moped in Grand Caymen, the streets are very crowded with vehicles and people. If you want to get to a beach just grab a cab at the pier.
The sting rays are not to be missed, book an independant tour we have had very good luck with Captain Marvin
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Redheadsmama

Is there any (safe) shopping right off the ship?

We do not have a lot of extra money for excursions but
would love to get off the ship and look around.

P.S. Do they stamp your passports at each Port?

Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Passenger

Just don't do the Ebanks Watersports waverunner snorkeling tour unless you enjoy getting drenched and hanging on for dear life for 20 min. each way in the open ocean. Stingray City is a must. Margaritaville is new here with a waterslide inside.
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Admiral

Opps. Too late.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 4th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Passenger

Default Grand Cayman

Think you must mean sailing Feb.09 (post says 08).
If you enjoy being on a crowded beach with hardly any facilities, hop on the local bus to Governors Beach. $5.00 round trip. Taxi $10-20.
If you enjoy snorkelling, get off ship, walk left and within 5 minutes you'll come to a little beach where there is a fish stand on left. Beach is pebbly but not far to ocean. You can see ship from there and also snorkel.
Dont forget to sample the rum cakes at the rum factory close by.
Old April 6th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

bed7ford - just curious - what is your cruising history.