Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Familiar Face

Default St. Thomas Beaches

We will be taking an Eastern Caribbean cruise with Princess and one of the stops will be St. Thomas. We have never been to this port and it looks like we will be docking right at the pier (not tendering in).
In St. Thomas, we would love to just go to the beach...does anyone know if a beach would be within walking distance or even a short taxi ride from the pier? The beaches look absolutely lovely and we would like to visit them!
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'd suggest Meagans Bay, although you'd need to take a cab there, its still a rather short drive and it will still leave you time to shop either downtown or by the pier at Havensight Mall. There isn't much there to see if you decide to snorkel, but its a beautiful beach and certainly worth a taxi ride.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our last trip to St. Thomas took us to Coki Beach.

Short taxi ride away. Taxi's wait outside the beach area for easy return trip.

Approximately $9 pps each way. $10 for a beach chair and beverage. $10 for an umbrella.

Great view. Great snorkeling. Beautiful water and beach.

Get there early, not as crowded. We stayed from about 9a until 11:45a (great color) and returned to the port area for lunch and shopping. Was perfect. By noon beach was beginning to fill up.

Enjoy and have fun.

Safe sailing.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

It is great in St. Thomas because there are open air taxis readily available at the dock but they don't make you feel unsafe. You can get a great deal on a ride because they can fit about 20 people or so. We ended up at emerald beach which was a quick taxi ride. No matter where you end up St. Thomas is the best place to spend a day at the beach. You can't go wrong they are all so beautiful. Don't miss the shopping either it is great there too.
Mariner of the seas 2008
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Beginner

Default St. Thomas Beaches

Magen's Bay is by far one of the most beautiful beaches in the Caribbean. It's not far from port $10 cab ride(?). It's great for swimming, gradual incline for children and not ral crowded. However, if you want to snorkel, I would reccomend Coki Beach. I don't think it's as pretty, it's smaller but the snorkeling is great, especially to the left as you face the water.

Have fun!
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Beginner

This may be a silly question, but are there bars/alcohol at Meagans Bay? If so, is it expensive?
Old January 30th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Admiral

another great beach choice would be Sapphire Beach.
Old March 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
First Mate

If you want to go to Megan's, just catch a taxi when you get off the ship. It is a beautiful beach, and you can get anything you need there. (food/drink) There are lots of taxis waiting to take you back to the ship.

I have only seen pictures of the other mentioned beaches on St. Thomas, and they are gorgeous. We usually go over to St. John where the snorkeling and beaches are amazing.

Have a great cruise. You will love it!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Admiral

I would like to live in St. Thomas when I completely retire.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:33 AM
First Mate

I would agree with Sheffie - If you have time take the ferry to St. John and take in Cinnamon Bay or one of the other pristine beaches there. It takes a little more time to get there but the island is gorgeous.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Passenger

On our last trip to St. Thomas we tried Morningside Beach at the Marriott Frenchmen's Reef Hotel. It was very nice, and less crowded than Megan's Bay. If you've never been to St. Thomas, Megan's Bay is a must. Coki beach is not one of my favorites, but if you're into snorkling, that would be the beach to go to.
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Passenger

Megan's bay is by far the most beautiful beach I have seen. Very calm & relaxing. Have a great time..Libbygs
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaqn
On our last trip to St. Thomas we tried Morningside Beach at the Marriott Frenchmen's Reef Hotel. It was very nice, and less crowded than Megan's Bay. If you've never been to St. Thomas, Megan's Bay is a must. Coki beach is not one of my favorites, but if you're into snorkling, that would be the beach to go to.
I signed up for a sailing snorkel trip from the Marriott Frenchmans reef. My two boys and I. It appears to be only about a mile away but I was told $12PP round trip by cab. This sounds high. Can you walk it? Are there these open air cab that carry 20 people someone mentioned? The sailboat S/V Fury goes out to Buck Island and supposedly get to snorkel with big turtles. Anyone done this?

Thanks for the feedback!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old April 4th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Passenger

Dave,

I don't think it was w/i wlking distance, but I could be wrong. We actually took a taxi from the downtown area to the beach, then back to downtown to pick up some jewelry we bought, then back to the ship. Actually, I think the jewelry store paid the tab. We had a few hours to kill while some rings were being sized. With what we all spent in that one store, we could have bought 2 taxis and shipped them both home!

If you're in the market for jewelry, go see Anita at Beverly's.
Old April 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Passenger

Default Beaches on St. Thomas

You cannot walk to any beach on St. Thomas. You will need to take the surrey with the fringe on top taxi to Coki Beach from the pier. It costs $10. p.p. one way and you take the same taxi back when you are ready.
Coki has a nice beach but the earlier you get there the better, snacks available, restrooms, and some colorful vendors. Snorkelling there is easy and even kids can walk in from beach.
The other beach is Sapphire - closer than Coki but no snorkelling really and the taxi costs more.
One fun thing to do there is the aerial tram ride not far from the pier.
Old June 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Passenger

My vote is Sapphire Beach. We have been there three times and plan to go back in Oct. We tried Meagon's Bay, an were very dissapointed and wished we had gone back to Sapphire. Less crowded , prettier beach and water. Take cab, it is a ways past Red Hook. Give yourself lots of time getting back, the traffic can get bad. They rent snorkel etc. at he resort. Best Nachos I had anywhere at bar/ cafe by the pool. Lots of Iguanas!
Old June 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The most beautiful water I have ever seen in the Caribbean, was at Saphire Beach.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 7th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Passenger

We are planning on Coki's beach for the snorkeling, especially since the kids can snorkle in waist deep water there. The water looked beautiful and clear from the picture and I read that the water is 3 times clearer than magen's. Can anyone tell me why they don't think Coki is as pretty? Does anyone know if scooters or golf carts can be rented at the pier?

thanks
Old August 22nd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Familiar Face

Just retured from our cruise and we hit Coki Beach because I went for the snorkeling. I have to say it was an okay beach, if I had to do over I would probably go to meagan's bay. It is right next to Coral World and you can walk to their gift shop. I thought there was a lot of garbage and the area would have been nicer if this had been picked up. We got there early in the AM and had to change in the portipotty (spelling?). The men's restroom never did open so my son had to change in the women's. We saw a beautiful large iguana. It was beautiful.
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Passenger

well, we looked at car rental prices, with taxis at $10pp and there is 4 of us it will be the same cost or less to rent a jeep for the day. So we'll hit up Coki first for the snorkeling, see sapphire beach too and then paradise point. i've seen pics of maegans and haven't been all that impressed, maybe the pictures don't do it justice, idk... we'll see!