Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Beware, don't wear expensive jewellery in Caribbean!

i HAVE POSTED THIS ON THE P&O thread but will put here too, to warn Caribbean visitors;
in newspaper today:

CABBIE Steve Storton was shot through the chest by a Rolex robber on a Caribbean island – and was back on his cruise ship less than five hours later.

Steve, 53, was gunned down after docking on Venezuela’s paradise island of Margarita aboard P&O’s flagship Oceana.

He was buying a cold drink as wife Susan popped into a shop when the mugger thrust a pistol in his chest and demanded his cherished £10,000 watch.

Steve ignored him, turned away – and was shot.

As he collapsed with blood pouring from his wound, the gunman fired two more bullets which narrowly missed him.

The attacker then pistol-whipped Steve around the head before grabbing the 18-carat gold watch.

Horror-struck Susan, 57, ran out to find her hubby lying in a pool of blood and gave him first aid.

Amazingly, the bullet had missed Steve’s heart by millimetres and passed straight through his body with only minor damage.

He was able to point out the gunman and an accomplice, trapped in their get-away car in a traffic jam.

A shoot-out followed which left one cop dead and another critically injured, but the bandits were caught.

Steve was rushed to hospital, where docs put him in a wheelchair and x-rayed him three times before discharging him two hours later with just PAINKILLERS.

The dad of three then returned to the Oceana, whose captain had delayed sailing until his return.

And although he refused to leave the ship for the remaining five days of his £2,200, 14-day cruise, he took regular deck walks and ate in the restaurants.

Libra
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Captain

we never take good jewelry on vacation let alone a rolex you are just asking for trouble going ashore wearing expensive stuff.
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

A Cabbie has a $25,000 watch?? You Brits must tip way too much
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I used to take my jewelry to dress up with - one was a 10 grand diamond ring. I stopped taking jewelry a few cruises back when someone pointed out the ring and it sent a flash in my head. After that....I just go without and be safe!
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Unfortunately, that can happen anywhere, but be extra careful when traveling...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Passengers are told when in the Caribbean not to wear expensive jewellery in this poor country. He ignored this advice, and a policeman dies in the aftermath!

Perhaps it was a fake, and he's after a insurance payout pertending its real.......

Sue
Old February 7th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Admiral

thats horrible. I never wear any "bling" on the islands. It goes into the safe in the stateroom
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I just read this last night, and indeed a word to the wise....I remember when we went to Caracas on a tour, we were told to leave all jewelry on the ship, as it could be stolen...I had to gasp, when one woman, said NOT me! Fortunately, nothing happened but we are on vacation, the people who live there are not:( That Rolex, could feed a family for years:(

Thanks for posting this, we need reminders every so often.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 9th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Familiar Face

Default Beware, don't wear expensive jewellery in Continental US!

Someone got robbed somewhere in the US so don't wear expensive jewellery anywhere in the US because you might get robbed to.

Your topic as well as the content is complete nonsense . The Caribbean is very large with a lot of different islands and a lot of different safety situations. That makes it as ridiculous as the topic I changed it in to.

Plus, and that is worse, people might get scared for absolutly no reason at all. All sounds like a bad tabloid to me.
November 2010: Norwegian Jade: Western Mediterranean
January 2012: HAL Eurodam: Eastern Caribbean
May 2012 HAL: Noordam: Transatlantic Riviera

Upcomming:
HAL Westerdam: Panama Canal
Old February 10th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Passenger

I'm guessing we can't wear engagement or wedding rings either is this correct?
Old February 10th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Familiar Face

lauera: Please don't get worried by this thread. Just act as you would in any major city in the US and you will be fine. The caribbean is not safer or more dangerous than the US is. Thing is to keep thinking about what you are doing.
If you go off to a very poor neighbourhood, in the middle of the night to show off your diamonds: Not a good thing to do
If you wear you wedding/engagement rings while walking through the center of city during the day (e.g. with a tour): no problem at all.

Libra: see what you have done: you made people scared without any reason, just for the sensation of it :evil:
November 2010: Norwegian Jade: Western Mediterranean
January 2012: HAL Eurodam: Eastern Caribbean
May 2012 HAL: Noordam: Transatlantic Riviera

Upcomming:
HAL Westerdam: Panama Canal
Old February 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Passenger

Default Jewellery in the Caribbean

What an awful story about Margarita and very sad to hear but I do have to say the islands are as safe/unsafe as the rest of the world for those wearing excessively blingy and obviously expensive jewellery.

I live here in the caribbean and am lucky enough to have some expensive jewellery. I do not feel threatened in the places I choose to wear it at all. However, I also exercise caution in some areas I am unsure about.

I can't comment on Venezuela/Margarita as for all it's oil there is real poverty BUT for the other islands you are visiting remember these nations are home to proud people. Don't be discouraged from meeting them.

As an aside it's always nice to buy the locally made jewellery on the islands anyway as souvenirs of your fun times. 8)
Old March 24th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Passenger

This kind of stuff happens every day in the U.S. But most people don't think they go to 'those' kinds of areas. Flashing major $$ items WILL get you robbed (at the very least). If you have expensive jewelry, don't wear it on the way to the event as you stop to pump gas or pick up some flowers; put it on when you get to the event.
Carnival Glory 07/04
Carnival Glory 12/04
Carnival Valor 12/05
Carnival Miracle 08/06
Carnival Fascination 10/06
Carnival Triumph 06/07
Carnival Inspiration 11/07
Carnival Destiny 08/08
Carnival Inspiration 10/09
Carnival Inspiration 10/10
Old March 28th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

That story reminds me of a true story told to us by some friends who did a tour of Colombia, Venezuela, and Brazil. They were told to bring minimal amount of jewellery for their safety. They had a free day at one beach area and one man ignored the warning. He wore his expensive watch, his wedding ring, and his wallet...... He didn't even last an hour on the beach before he was seriously messed up by a gang of muggers ON THE BEACH who spotted what he had. It took no time at all, but because there was a group of guys he did get beaten up and lost his valuables.

I was in Jamaica in February. I know how poor it is. I took off my rings (diamond solitaires) and my earrings (diamond). I did the same for Cozumel, but moreso because I was doing the dolphin swim and I didn't want to loose a $700 diamond stud (single) or one of my other pair of diamond earrings.....Grand Cayman was safe, I didn't take anything off!!!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....