Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Beginner

Default Advice for Samana, purchasing excursions in general ASAP

Impulsively booked a cruise one week ago to celebrate my 50th birthday 2/15/08. NCL Jewel departs Miami on my birthday for a 9-night Southern Caribbean itinerary. We are taking our teenagers, 17 and 14. I am worried about Samana, Dominican Republic...can anyone advise what to do there? In general, can shore excursions on most islands be purchased when we arrive or should I frantically try to book now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, about Samana, Tortola, Barbados, St Lucia and Antigua. Any tips about NCL or the Jewel?

Thanks so much,

Susan D.
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Passenger

We went on the Safari Tour. $79. It was great except for to long at a tourist trap that was sold as a farm. In fact we got a speech about Farming in Samana by a man who did not speak much english that lasted one hour. I was bored. But the rest of the trip was great. Nice scenery, a waterfall and a beautiful beach.

Samana is beautiful but incredibly poverty stricken. Looks like Africa. Interesting though because we can leave, they can't.

Note: be sure to go on the formal tour because the first time I went there I went via taxi and got back to the town that had the boat back to the ship one hour late due to a flat tire, and had to go to a hotel and eventually home after a comedy of errors.