Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to toad
Default Cozumel Snorkeling tours

Can someone recommend a good Snorkel tour in Cozumel. We are leaning towards a Catamaran as my wife loves the sun and a good margarita and they seem to offer both with decent snorkeling. Any direction towards a good outfit would be greatly appreciated? We are sailing on the Ecstasy 4/5.
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Admiral

I did that tour. You don't spend a lot of time snorkeling but it was fun and the margaritas were good.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:10 PM
cozumelcruising

There are several Catamaran Sail and Snorkel tours offered in Cozumel. One of them is on large Catamarans, which we see daily, packed with at least 50 people on each and this is how it looks when they snorkel, I doubt they see more than the fins of the person in front. Surely a good party, snorkeling might not be the best and very crowded. Good entertainment and ships, for snorkeling there may be better options..hope this insight helps, good luck
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to toad
Default Thanks

I appreciate the feedback so far. If we go with a Catamaran trip I would prefer to find a smaller rig that is not such a big group. We are on a stby list with Roswitha of Mystic who does personal small snorkel trips. I am hopeful someone from this site can recommend a couple of operators. We had great success with advice given us last year and I am expecting the same result this year.
Old March 30th, 2008, 02:16 AM
cozumelcruising

We would recommend snorkeling from a Boat such as Glass Bottom Boat, regular boat or Catamaran snorkeling...here some info: glass bottom and regular boats are pretty much available in all sizes, private or shared, usually between 5 and 10 people. Depending on the operator, you will get to the semi deep reefs, drop offs and Marine Park..make sure you get a snorkel map (or check on the internet) and get info on the reefs. Next are the party catamarans as mentioned...more party than snorkel...and there are a couple of Catamaran/Trimaran for up to 20 pax, sometimes sold as shared or private (also available on cozumelwatersports.com and other websites). These options are usually preferrable to shore snorkeling since due to hurricane damage, shallow reefs are limited in attractiveness. Cozumel is all about snorkeling...good luck!
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Beginner

All you need to do is get off the ship and take a taxi to Chakanab, the public beach and snorkeling area. We have done it 3 times and it is awesome. There is a lot going on there and has restaurants/bars, etc.
It is a very inexpensive and great day at the beach you can do on your own. The snorkeling is great. We bring our own gear but you can rent as well.
Old June 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Admiral

i would definately stay away from the large party-type boats if you really want to snorkel, what we do is book the ships tour out to the Palencaar Reef, its a small dive boat no more than 20 people on board, we have always had a great time with a very knowledgeable crew. We usually book independant but when it comes down to taking a boat to get to our destination we feel safer about using the cruise lines tours
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

Can I make a suggestion? If you are even the slightest bit prone to either motion sickness or sea sickness, bring pills!

I just came back from Cancun, not that far from Cozumel for vacation for a week. We did the Adventure Snorkel over there next to Desire Resort (the nudist resort).

While we were inside the reef, the seas are very rough, 5-6 ft swells & nearly everyone on my boat wound up sick.

On top of that, my friend who was scuba diving up past the Hotel Zone in Cancun said people were sick on her boat as well.

So just a FYI....its rough seas.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old June 21st, 2008, 09:26 AM
Captain

Cozumel is my favorite place in the world to snorkel- there's a beach with a platform & you can walk right into the water- sorry I don't remember the name!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:34 AM
cozumelcruising

When the Sea is rough, well, better dont go. There will be a lot of movement on the boat and the bottom of shallow reefs will be disturbed so you will encounter less visibility and sea life. Going with a Catamaran or Trimaran is much recommended, since these boats tend to move less in the waves due to better stability. Weather is weather and it affects all excursions...but water is always warm in Cozumel if sun shines or rain hits (usually for 15-30 minutes)...snorkeling in Cozumel remains one of the best spots in the world! Enjoy and good luck!
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:31 AM
cozumelcruising

You can also try the Underwater Scooter tour in Cozumel offered by Carnival cruise line or RCCL Mini Submarine tour in Cozumel...google it ... a great experience for non divers and adventurous snorklers