Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Beginner

Default Excursions for Grand Cayman and Cozumel

Has anybody done the Atlantis Submarine in the Grand Caymans? We'll be cruising on the Carnival Valor in June and are trying to sort out our excursions early so that everything doesn't get booked before we go. Also, how are the Mayan Ruins of Tulum at Cozumel? Kid friendly? We have a 7 and 10 year old. We're afraid they'll get bored on that excursion, but really want to see some ruins!
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2008, 01:14 PM
cozumelcruising

The Tulum Ruins from Cozumel are great, a real highlight. Kid friendly? Here my thoughts: This tour takes into account a 45min ferry ride each way from and back to Cozumel island, followed by a 50 min bus ride to the ruins. At the ruins, you will have between 2 and 2.5 hours to explore the site, which also offers a beach (careful with the stairs when slippery)...therefore, overall transportation is long, time at the ruins is limited (would not really get boring)...all in all it is a kid friendly tour, taking into account the timings. Also make sure to take along sun protection and drinking water for the ruins, also good shoes are a recommendation...good luck, great and impressive ruins!!
Old April 18th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Grand Caym and Cozumel Tours

Our children are very close in age, my son is 9 and my daughter is 6. We found some amazing family tours. I will say that we have done atlantis before, its fun the for the first 10 minutes and then its all the same, blue blue and a few fish, like watching on a tv screen...kids got bored.

In Cayman, we booked Cayman Outrage Stingray EcoTour you should have a look at this...we wwent to stingray city, snorkeled, saw starfish, my daughter LOVED THIS and then my kids took turns tubing behind the boat...EXCELLENT DAY!!!! John was our captain and he was WONDERFUL!!!

In Cozumel, we looked at the ruins too but its a a trip just to get there an 2+ hours there and 2+ hours back it a little much for my kids.

We stayed in Cozumel and did the Dune buggies Island Tour it was a lot of fun and the kids loved the dune buggy and you get to explore a lot of the island...bring hats for the kids, ours got a little toasted;-)
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM
Admiral

the Atlantis Sub is very interesting, not knowing your kids i can't tell you if they would get bored and squirmy looking out a small window at the fish swimming by. Consider doing a tour to StingRayCity/Sandbar much more interactive, you get to swim, pet, feed the rays if you so choose.
The ruins in Cozumel are a tough call, it makes for a long-hot day, i know it can be be very tiring for adults, again i don't know your kids and their interests. We love to snorkel in Cozumel, we take a ships tour out to the reef and have a great time
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Admiral

I would opt for Stingray City also. The Mayan ruins are indeed a tough call because of the length of travel to and fro.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old April 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Excursions for Grand Cayman and Cozumel

cantw84sumr,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Has anybody done the Atlantis Submarine in the Grand Caymans? We'll be cruising on the Carnival Valor in June and are trying to sort out our excursions early so that everything doesn't get booked before we go.
The "Sea and See" excursion might be a better choice since it visits the major attractions on land (including the rock formation called "Hell" and the world's only sea turtle farm, both of which would fascinate your youngsters) as well as providing close-up views of reefs, wrecks, and marine life in the harbor.

But JTOL, your youngsters probably also would love Stingray City....

Well, you can't do everything, but be sure to stop by the rum cake stand in the shopping district (located right across the street from the tender pier) for some free samples before returning to the ship. The coconut rum cake is my favorite, but YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Also, how are the Mayan Ruins of Tulum at Cozumel? Kid friendly? We have a 7 and 10 year old. We're afraid they'll get bored on that excursion, but really want to see some ruins!
Most youngsters would love the ruins at Tulum, which offers plenty on which to climb and explore, as well as the ferry ride between Cozumel and Playa del Carmen. Be sure to bring a large (liter) bottle of water for each person in your party and ensure that each person drinks frequently while visiting the ruins to prevent dehydration, as the weather is usually very warm there.

If you want something less ambitious, there's another shore excursion that combines a Mexican folkloric show in San Miguel de Cozumel with a visit to the Mayan ruins at San Gervasio, located on the island. The ruins at San Gervasio are less extensive than the ruins at Tulum, but they actually are more significant because the island of Cozumel is sacred land in the Mayan religion.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old October 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Beginner

Well the ruins will definitely bore your kids. I took my kids once and it was terrible... plus, I hear this time of year mosquitos are terrible in Cozumel. We ended up changing our plans this time and are going on this Dune Buggy Tour. We talked to some people on the cruise we went on last year and they shared pictures and recommended we take our kids on this one. It's all day, you get your own car, lunch, snorkel, shopping and get a 360 view of the island. Try that one out, their e-mail is dunebuggytours@live.com
Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Familiar Face

I tried this site dunebuggytours@live.com and this site is not valid. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Pamie
Celebrity Mercury - Pacific Northwest
Star Princess - Mexico
Royal Caribbean - Baja, Catalina