Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Passenger

Default buying snorkel & mask - suggestions?

My husband & I are planning on buying snorkels & masks for our Princess cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in October. We are planning on using them for Princess Cay & Grand Turk. I have never snorkeled. My husband has been scuba diving years ago but has no desire to scuba again.

I'm leaning towards a total dry snorkel and silicone mask.

Planning on renting fins [?] & snorkel vest [?].

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would check the mask and snorkel at any sporting goods store in your area and compare and see what you like. Actually a good fitting mask is important and I'm sure you can rent the fins and jacket, most private islands will require you wearing one anyway, especially if you do an excursion. If you are doing a snorkeling excursion, they will provide the equipment anyway.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Admiral

I agree with Donna, go to a sports equipment store and get a decent quality mask and snorkel, you don't need to go to a dive shop to get a top of the line mask unless you have vision issues or are planning on doing alot of snorkeling. Don't bother buying fins, if you are going on a snorkeling excursion you will be provided with them same goes for the vest. If you are just going to a beach then you will need to rent the fins
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Admiral

We got a submersible snorkel it prevents water from entering the snorkel whether it's accidentally or purposely submerged. It worked great.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would also add, if you are going on your own to snorkel and not an excursion, then its always nice to have your own, but if you are going to snorkel through some type of tour, then I would just juse theirs and not have to pack and travel with extra equipment like that, especially if you are flying.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Familiar Face

Right now Sam's Club has the whole shebang (mask, snorkel & fins) for about $35. Comes with a nifty shoulder bag that has room for other things like sunscreen, etc. Packs small - I packed most of our shoes in the bags and put them the bottom of our checked luggage. Didn't use much room at all.
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's worth it to have your own just for the fact of everyone else using the snorkle. That just grosses me out having my mouth on God knows what.

Just make sure the mask fits nice and secure and then like somebody said they snorkle that you can go under water with and not get water inside is nice too. Also one that you can clear in the water by blowing into it.

03/30/2009 ~ Carnival Ecstasy
09/14/2008 ~ Carnival Legend
03/2008 Carnival Victory
09/2007 Carnival Elation
06/2007 Carnival Liberty
09/2006 Carnival Ectasy
12/2004 Carnival Conquest
Old May 30th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Admiral

i don't like getting my gear from the tour operator, you never know how well they do or don't sanitize the gear. If you don't want to buy your snorkel gear i would suggest renting it on the ship, you can rent it for the duration of your cruise or just for a day or two, that way you can be pretty sure that its clean, and you can clean it yourself to be on the safer side
Old June 21st, 2008, 09:11 AM
Captain

A few years ago we bought masks with prescription lenses (We've both been wearing glasses since grade school). It's great to be able to SEE underwater. We also bought a couple snorkels just to have our own. We also found fins, a bag and masks on clearance at K-Mart once- about $8 each. We used to take those with us when we were able to take 75 lbs of luggage in our huge 29" pullmans.

Sigh. We'll be apacking a lot lighter this year- will take the masks- need to buy new snorkels.- suggested vendors welcome!
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old June 21st, 2008, 09:15 AM
Captain

We ordered the prescription masks from a guy in Texas- he had an add at the back of porthole Magazine. He is an optometrist that loves to dive & saw a niche market.

Would love suggestions on the DRY snorkels!?! the clamp thingees on are old ones have broken and I don't remember where we ordered them- it has been 11 years!

And if you're wondering- yes our prescriptions have changed, but I'm not ordering a bifocal mask
Grandeur of the Seas, 8/99
Mercury, 11/98
Century, 10/97
Fascination, 10/96
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub
We ordered the prescription masks from a guy in Texas- he had an add at the back of porthole Magazine. He is an optometrist that loves to dive & saw a niche market.

Would love suggestions on the DRY snorkels!?! the clamp thingees on are old ones have broken and I don't remember where we ordered them- it has been 11 years!

And if you're wondering- yes our prescriptions have changed, but I'm not ordering a bifocal mask
Check out the Seaquest Sidedraft snorkel by US Divers. I've used it Scuba diving, skin diving, & snorkeling. I just ordered one for my DW, for our Carnival Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Victory in September.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Contex...rkels/959.html