Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:21 PM
Passenger

Default Playa Mia in Cozumel VS Mr. Sancho

Has anyone visited Playa Mia in Cozumel? I went to Mr. Sanchos last year and they lost a lot of their beach front from all the storms and I was curious if Playa Mia was better.
Carnival Destiny (2)
Carnival Imagination (2)
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Holiday
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Fantasy (3)
Carnival Ecstasy (4)
Caribbean Princess
NCL Starward
Dolphin Cruise
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2008, 05:30 PM
cozumelcruising

Playa Mia as well as Paradise Beach and San Francisco Beach actually grew in their beach areas...it ws quite strange but after the hurricane, some areas lost beach and others gained beach. All 3 of the above are in great shape, San Francisco lately also did a lot of work on their installations and are really up to date...one of our favorite places for a weekend beach day...good luck!
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:50 AM
Admiral

Playa Mia seemed fine last summer. They were doing a lot of work there increasing the size and facilities.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Passenger

I went to Playa Mia in February and did not like it. The main complaint was the beach. The water was not the pretty caribbean clear blue like the picture shows - more like a cloudy greenish gray color. Also, the bottom was so rocky my feet were cut up.
Old July 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM
cozumelcruising

Most of the time, the water in Cozumel is crystal clear and blue, nevertheless on rainy days or after rainy days, it is messed up with sediments from the ocean floor...this can happen..it is like the weather, sometimes it is nice, sometimes not..but the average is what counts...good luck for all Cozumel cruisers...if the water is not nice at one beach...it will not be better at another beach, an alternative is to visit the south beach clubs or the other side of the island...
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:57 PM
Passenger

Thanks all for your responses. I think we will try San Francisco beach and compare from a few years back when we had a great time there.

I'll let you know when I get back next week.

Carnival Destiny (2)
Carnival Imagination (2)
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Holiday
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Fantasy (3)
Carnival Ecstasy (4)
Caribbean Princess
NCL Starward
Dolphin Cruise
Old August 23rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Unfortunately, if one spot has "murky" water from the weather...they will all have it.

We go to Cozumel several times a year (as many as 5 times in a 12 month period last year) and I LOVE IT.

We were just there in May...are headed there a week from Monday, again in October AND again in November!

All the commercial beach resorts on the West side face the mainland...so the water does not clear up as quickly after bad weather as the East side. But because the East side is still primitive and can have some "monster rip currents"...all the development is on the West!!

We have been to Playa Mia, Mr. Sanchos, San Francisco Beach and Paradise Beach.

Our favorite is Paradise Beach because they do not charge an entrance fee like Playa Mia and have more for our boys to do than Mr. S or San Fran.

Any of them will provide good food and great drinks!!!

Btw, if you go to San Francisco Beach and want to see what Paradise Beach is like...just look South! You can literally put one foot in each at the same time!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old August 24th, 2008, 04:45 PM
cozumelcruising

I sent the sisters of my girlfriend to Paradise beach and guess what...they charged them (13 and 15yrs) each $10 to use the floats and beach..WHAT A RIP OFF, sorry to tell that but this is just wrong...they always write here no cover..but this did certainly not end to be true...beware..a little kid it costs $10 to use the floats!!
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozumelcruising
I sent the sisters of my girlfriend to Paradise beach and guess what...they charged them (13 and 15yrs) each $10 to use the floats and beach..WHAT A RIP OFF, sorry to tell that but this is just wrong...they always write here no cover..but this did certainly not end to be true...beware..a little kid it costs $10 to use the floats!!
You are incorrect. Paradise Beach does not charge for the beach.
We have been there as many as 5 times a year since they opened.

They DO charge an OPTIONAL (meaning you don't have to buy it) $10 for a wristband IF you want to use the floats, water trampoline, iceberg, kayaks, snorkeling equipment, bungie trampoline on land. You can even climb a coconut tree.

But again, this is OPTIONAL. However, if you want to use their equipment, they have the right to charge for it. It is not a ripoff. It is the best deal in Cozumel since their lounge chairs, tables, unbrellas, CLEAN restrooms, changing rooms and even the Internet is all FREE!

(Playa Mia charges you $8.95 just to walk in the door)

Hubby and I like the shade so we do not get the wristbands. Our 2 boys love all the water and land toys, so they get the wristband.

Please do not spread incorrect information. It is not fair to the folks who come on this board to get the facts!

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old September 27th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Admiral

An update:

Mr. Sanchos now offers an "all inclusive" for $50.00. This is something new for them.

I believe this only includes food and drinks and not any of the water or land toys that may be around!!