Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 1st, 2008, 07:47 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to JoiseyGuy Send a message via MSN to JoiseyGuy Send a message via Yahoo to JoiseyGuy
Default Zipline/Cave Tubing in Belize

Back home in Sunny Joisey!!! Ha!!! Just back from Carnival Legend's Western Caribbean - Mexico and Roatan were awesome, but the highlight was pretty little Belize. What a beautiful little country, and friendly people of so many races. We booked on line with Major Tom and the Fun Team (read a while lot of fantastic reviews on several websites critic pages) and bought the cave tubing and zipline combo (not bad at all at $110 per person - much, much less than cruiselines sell that combo for). We were met at the cruise terminal in Belize City by Major Tom's staff holding up nice visible signs reading "Major Tom - Private Cave Tubing" and led to a building where we were organized and away in about 20 minutes. Our guides were George of the Jungle, Stephanie, and Minor Tom - Major Tom's handsome son. This trio gave the 33 of us in the comfortable bus a great time. We had met Major Tom at the terminal (he was moving about meeting everyone and organzing the tour, and we met him again at the cave park - this guy moves around amazingly - small wonder, as when we chatted, he is a genuine army major with one heck of a background. He invited us to "google" Major Tom Greenwood in Belize, and he said his history is all there - we did, and is it ever). Anyway, the zipline has eight platforms, averaging about 100 feet above the rainforest floor, and the staff there are extremely professional. We thoroughly enjoyed that. Then it was over (about 500 feet away) to the cave park for cave tubing. I can't find words to describe that. Three caves, water was beautifully cool, lots of photo ops (and we took tons), and an awesome time sitting in a truck inner tube floating away through about a mile of caves, and then a quarter mile of open river, under the canopy of the trees. We floated right back to our start point (very very convenient), recalling our experiences with each other - especially eating termites at the invitation of Minor Tom, who tried it first - taste like mint, honest! I happilly recomend this tour to anyone going either on a cruise or a longer vacation in Belize - I am told the Maya Ruins are fabulous as well. Next time, we'll try the ruins and zoo or snorkeling. Strongly recommend you check out Major Tom's great website at www.cave-tubing.net or maybe e-mail him at info@cave-tubing.net
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

JoisyGirl-

Thanks for the great review. We are doing the exact same trip you just took but in February.

We researched the cave tubing and found the same company. So glad to hear you had a great experience.

However, was wondering if you could tell me about the time able. How long was your total tour? We are thinking of only doing the cave tubing - not sure the kids would be up for the zipline this year.

Just worry about booking a excursion without the cruise lines.

Thanks again.

RCCL Freedom of the Seas 2/10
Carnival Legend 2/09
Carnival Victory 2/08
Carnival Liberty 7/07
Carnival Valor 4/06
Carnival Celebration 4/05
Carnival Sensation 4/04
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Passenger

The ride to the caves from the dock as a comfortable 50 minutes with a stop at a huge roadside supermarket - bought water and ice cold beers and Cashew Wine - yooohooo....that one made by eyeballs pop out. At the caves, the bathrooms were modern and very clean. Walk down to the river with tube, lifevest and light, swim and splash in the cleanest, coolest river ever! Then hit the trail for about 25 minutes, and some more swimming and splashing, then into the caves for the most incredible tour ever. Once out of the caves, it was a downriver, open air float under the jungle canopy - again, awesome - the water was green and flowing well. Once back at the site, dry off, change, and hit the road to the restaurant called "Cheers" as in Boston, honest!!!Great meal of rice and beans, and finely cooked chicken, cole slaw, really, really hot habanero sauce!! And cold beer - what else?? Another 40 minutes and we were back at the dock with a solid hour to shop before we hit the tenders back to the ship. In all, I would say it was about 5 hours from the dock and back. Wonderful tour, great guides (we learned so much about Belize, the jungles, the caves, the people). Major Tom and his crew are absolutely the very best.
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Passenger

Default Weather in Belize for 28 August

Anyone know what the weather is projected to be for Thursday 28 August in Belize - some friends are going ziplining and cave tubing from the Legend, with Major Tom.
Old August 27th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to sgtmomret

I went to the site and read up on it...wow what savings. I book my husband and myself with lunch total 102US. My sister and her husband are booked through the ship mmm it should be interesting to see who likes their tour the best. Thanks again for the info. 39 more days to go and then were off on the Legend 05 Oct
Old September 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Default $95 Combo Zipline/Cave Tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtmomret
I went to the site and read up on it...wow what savings. I book my husband and myself with lunch total 102US. My sister and her husband are booked through the ship mmm it should be interesting to see who likes their tour the best. Thanks again for the info. 39 more days to go and then were off on the Legend 05 Oct
Was just browsing and saw Major Tom's website with a special offer of cave tubing and zipline for $95 for adults and $85 for kids. That is a great offer, and they accept kids from 4 years upward. Awesome!! Just in case, Major Tom and his Fun Team are at info@cave-tubing.net