Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Beginner

Default Best months for Caribbean cruise?

I just returned from my first cruise in over 20 years. I did the 5 day Ecstasy departing 6/9 from Galveston to Cozumel and Progreso.

I really enjoyed it and am thinking of doing another - on my own this time.

What seasons are best for the Caribbean? I don't "have" to do the snorkeling, but would like the weather to be good enough to do the pool slide on the ship.

Best months for me to be gone from work are Feb, May, Aug and Nov.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would go anytime, but, of the months you mentioned, Feb to get out of inclement weather, if any in your area. August will be the hottest..Labor day there, was the hottest day of my life ever! May & Nov, would be glorious!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 19th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I personally love the Caribbean early in the year, anytime past Feb and before the busy spring break time. Its also nice in April/May before the summer cruisers and decent prices as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
I personally love the Caribbean early in the year, anytime past Feb and before the busy spring break time.
Why past Feb? Is January a bad time to go?
Old June 19th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by adias.angel
Quote:
I personally love the Caribbean early in the year, anytime past Feb and before the busy spring break time.
Why past Feb? Is January a bad time to go?
January is fine, past the Christmas rush, and before Spring Break. We have been on several cruises in January without any problems. However, you may have a cool day or two.
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old June 19th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Admiral

Usually, there are some great deals, mid January too.

Old June 19th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Admiral

I personally like fall for Caribbean cruising. Oct & Nov are good prices, and except for the occasional hurricaine or tropical storm, the weather is pretty good.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I cruised once in early Jan, and when we got into the Bahamas it was freezing, so thats why I would wait a little longer for nicer warmer weather.

Trip, remember that cruise on Golden, I wore pants and jackets, was in the 50's I believe, just horrible.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Admiral

Donna, I sure do remember that, and, we missed an island due to the rough seas...we were all in long pants and sweatshirts and wrapped in blankets..Especially if you are in the Bahamas, closer to Florida, January can be tricky.

Old June 20th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
I cruised once in early Jan, and when we got into the Bahamas it was freezing, so thats why I would wait a little longer for nicer warmer weather.

Trip, remember that cruise on Golden, I wore pants and jackets, was in the 50's I believe, just horrible.
Donna, I agree that it can be nippy that far north in January. We have had cool weather from south Florida, Key West, and the northern Gulf. However, after heading a little farther south the temperatures can be very nice.
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old June 20th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Best months for Caribbean cruise?

DorothyB,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I just returned from my first cruise in over 20 years. I did the 5 day Ecstasy departing 6/9 from Galveston to Cozumel and Progreso.

I really enjoyed it and am thinking of doing another - on my own this time.

What seasons are best for the Caribbean? I don't "have" to do the snorkeling, but would like the weather to be good enough to do the pool slide on the ship.

Best months for me to be gone from work are Feb, May, Aug and Nov.

Thanks!
From a climatological perspective, there are two major considerations.

>> 1. Hurricane season is from June through November. June and November are usually a bit quieter than the four months between them, but there's always a possibility that a hurricane will force the cruise line to rearrange the ship's itinerary during this time of year.

>> 2. The humidity tends to be quite oppressive, often described as "so thick that you can cut it with a knife," from May through September or early October.

Also, school vacation periods tend to be the most crowded. Here in the States, there are schools that close for vacation during the weeks of Christmas and New Year's Day, from the third week of February through the last week of April, and from Memorial day (usually the last Monday of May) until Labor Day (the first Monday of September). Additionally, some parents will take their children out of school for the week of Thanksgiving (fourth Thursday in November). Thus, you'll typically find less crowding, fewer children, and lower cruise fares

>> From the week after the week of New Year's Day through the second week of February,

>> During the month of May, and

>> From the first full week of September until the week before the week of Christmas.

Putting these considerations together with your comments about your schedule, the first half of February is probably your best time for a cruise to the Caribbean.

You also mentioned May and August as times of the year when you can cruise. May is an ideal time for a cruise to the Mediterranean, and August would be an ideal time for a cruise to northern Europe. Also, both of these months are very good timing for cruises to Alaska.

Have a great cruise, whatever you decide!

Norm.
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Admiral

February and November for you since that is best for you.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 7th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Passenger

oh NO!!!! I just booked a cruise for Jan 3rd!! I don't want it to be in the 50's!!
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Admiral

tiffany123,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
oh NO!!!! I just booked a cruise for Jan 3rd!! I don't want it to be in the 50's!!
That would be extremely unusual anywhere in the Caribbean, even at that time of year.

Norm.
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Passenger

I booked a cruise to Key West and Cozumel the week of Christmas. I don't mind the crowds but what about the weather?
Old August 31st, 2008, 12:55 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to SherryBabie

[b]Just don't book now like we did. We are leaving out of Port Canveral on Sept. 7th and we are trying to figure out how to even get to Florida. So far, the airlines said the "hold" on Houston should be lifted by the time we go.

We went to the caribbean 2 years ago at the end of August. It is hot and muggy, the water provided little relief. Of course, you get use to the weather and you seek air conditioned places. I doubt if we will go at this tiime of the year ever again. Too much stress for me! We will be dodging 3 more hurricanes once we get there.[/b
]

Read and post cruise reviews