Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
First Mate

Default Ocho Rios, Key West, and Grand Cayman?

We are doing a (4 of us) gals cruise in Feb. One gal lost her job and we were looking for inexpensive things to do in these ports.
I have done the falls and all but one has done the sting rays.

Wondering if renting an electric cart/golf cart in key west is the way to go.??

Thank you and I appreciate any help you can give us.!!
RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In Key West you can try this site for electric cars, not sure how inexpensive they are but, I do remember friends having parking issues.
You can do the Conch train which is not that $$.

http://electriccarrentalskeywest.com/

In the Caymans, a cab ride to 7 Mile Beach, might be the best way to save money. Shopping there is pricey.

In Ocho Rios, get together a bigger group, and you can negotiate a good price for a private tour, but in this port, I have alwasy done the ships tours.Shopping is close by the ship, if you just want to walk around.

I hope your friend finds the perfect job!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 5th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Ocho Rios, Key West, and Grand Cayman?

Sunlover,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are doing a (4 of us) gals cruise in Feb. One gal lost her job and we were looking for inexpensive things to do in these ports.
I have done the falls and all but one has done the sting rays.
I can't help you with Key West, but the other ports offer some fantastic options.

>> In Ocho Rios, I strongly recommend the shore excursion that combines a visit to Prospect Plantation with Dunn's River Falls. This shore excursion is pretty inexpensive, and the plantation occupies a whole mountain with multiple climatic zones (Jamaica's Blue Ridge, at 6300 feet, is even higher than New Hampshire's Mount Washington!) that support a fascinating diversity of crops. Some of the demonstrations that they do at various stations as you go through the plantation also are quite captivating! And, of course, wear your bathing suits under your clothes and bring your towels and SurfWalkers (R) so you can climb the falls -- very refreshing! The shopping stop on this tour is quite brief, but it will give you a chance to pick up some Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee for your friends back home.

>> In Grand Cayman, why not take a taxi to Seven Mile Beach? There are beach clubs where you can rent lockers to stow your valuables and your street clothes while you are swimming and where you can rent umbrellas and beach chairs if you wish. When you return to George Town, you can wander through the shopping district (it's right across the street from the tender pier) -- and be sure to sample the rum cakes at the rum cake stand. The coconut rum cake is my personal favorite, but of course YMMV.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Admiral

In Key West, either the Conch Train or walking along Duval Street is all you need to experience the place. Have a Pirate's Grog at Captain Tony's !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Admiral

We actually walked in Key West.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 19th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Subtropic-so, walking along Duval street will provide me with ample shops for cheap n cheerful shopping and see some sites. I want to see the pirate museum, is that anywhere close?.....I'll be on the Freedom in April....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The Pirate Soul Museum is located at, Front & Simonton Street,next to Rum Barrel, and right near the Conch Train depot on Duval.....you can check it out at piratesoul.com.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 8th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Passenger

I love Key West, usually we just walk around. They do rent jet skiis and I've done that at sunset several times. It is incredible. Also, I don't know how long you are staying in Key West, but every night at 4:30pm on the square they have a festival with magicians, clowns, and different acts. It is free too and very entertaining.
Fascination 2002
Destiny 2008
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Beginner

Default Key West, Cayman and Ocho Rios

Skip the beach in Key West. Key West is a great walking town, right of the ship. Best beach in Grand Cayman is at Beach Club Colony on 7 mile beach. Just take a taxi there and pay for a day pass. Same in Ocho Rios. The hotel's name is Shaw Park Beach Hotel. Both hotels have the same owner.
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Beginner

Have never sailed to Key West, but vacationed there 3 times. Walking Duval is entertaining and free! Hemingway's house tour is interesting and cheap. The conch train is cheap. Just watching the sunset from the square is fun and free.