Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to gspin2k1
Default Step 1...

Well after my family did an awesome Alaska cruise two years ago..they have decided that they will leave me to plan our next cruise...the Caribbean cruise for Christmas season.

So I guess step 1: what Cruise Line would you all recommend for us. My parents are in their early 50s, while the kids (3 of us) are 21-29. Who knows maybe "the kids" will bring their girlfriends as well (same age group).

From what I understand we should avoid Carnival Cruise line...since we're going as a family and not as a bunch of drunk college students...Our Alaska Cruise was with Princess and they seemed to have a good mix of ages and diversity (we're primarily Asians & Pacific Islander). Recommendations?

~G
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

With those age barckets, I'd look into Royal Caribbean. They have the Voyager class and the Freedom class, soon the Oasis class. These ships are wonderful for family/kid cruises, tons to do onboard especially and the entertainment can't be beat on water. They have ships that do East, West and Southern itinaries, just find the one that works best for all.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would agree that the newer RCI ships have lots to offer for your age groups..Many diversified options for all to enjoy.

Quote:
From what I understand we should avoid Carnival Cruise line...since we're going as a family and not as a bunch of drunk college students.
This is really an unfair stereotype of "Carnival Cruises" nowadays. My Carnival cruise last summer was, one of the best ones in the past few cruises for us. No drunks that I ever saw. It maybe not be right for this cruise for your family, but, you should not discount them, based on that theory...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thats true Trip,
In past years Carnival has gotten a bad rep with being a "party boat", had a wonderful cruise on Glory. I will say though, its the only cruise I was on that had kids running through the halls. Then again, I had horrible people in the cabin next door on a Royal Caribbean cruise..

So, again, be sure to compare some CArnival ship and even Princess as well since you were happy with that cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I've been on four Carnival cruises and the most that I have come to the ship being a "party" cruise was the scheduled deck party that happens once or twice a week. Yes, they have games and activities on the Lido deck, but it is fun and usually lasts up to an hour..

RCI is for the sports or activity minded person--meaning if you like rock climbing, skating, inline skating, etc, choose them. Carnival is just fun, fun, fun!

Warning about Xmas/NY cruise--it will be expensive and the ship will be bursting at the seam--ALL ships will be full and bursting (doesn't matter what cruise line)

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to gspin2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel
I've been on four Carnival cruises and the most that I have come to the ship being a "party" cruise was the scheduled deck party that happens once or twice a week. Yes, they have games and activities on the Lido deck, but it is fun and usually lasts up to an hour..

RCI is for the sports or activity minded person--meaning if you like rock climbing, skating, inline skating, etc, choose them. Carnival is just fun, fun, fun!

Warning about Xmas/NY cruise--it will be expensive and the ship will be bursting at the seam--ALL ships will be full and bursting (doesn't matter what cruise line)
Yeah I may have been unfair about the Carnival cruises assumption. I'll look into them. My family likes to party, but you know, we just don't need drunk frat boys banging on the doors at 2 am. But you're probably right in a worst case scenario, a few phone calls and that would get fixed real quick.

As for bursting at the seam..I can see that...but then again it's Christmas Vacation..so somewhat expected. As for "the kids" I was just kidding about us really needing any kiddie activities cus again "the kids" in the family are 21-29 years old. But Yeah i'll definitely look into Princess, Carnival, and RCI.

It seems like on our Alaska Cruises Excursions were a big thing because if we didn't have those set up...we may have gotten bored at certain ports...I assume for the Caribbean it'd be a different story (much easier to walk around, hang out, get some sun, knick knacks and etc.)

~G
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Admiral

It is so hard to make a recommendation when each line is diverse and has something different to offer. For an adult-family vacation my top three pics would be Princess, RCCL and Celebrity
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Passenger

Default Which Cruiseline?????

Royal Caribbean every which way but loose!!! And the Western Caribbean cruise will fit the bill anyday. Go go go go..........
Old August 17th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean-the Freedom class such as Freedom Of The Seas. Carnival's party boat rep is true of the shorter cruises (3/4 day ) but their longer cruises are fine. Princess is OK but a bit laid back for 20 somethings IMHO.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82