Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Passenger

Default Crusing from NY to Caribbean

Is it true that there is a lot of turbulence in the waters leaving from NY to Caribbean??

Is it a very bumpy ride??
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I've only cruised once from NY (next one coming up in Oct), and I didn't notice any particularly rough waters.

Of course, weather is unpredictable, and when storms arise it may be a bit choppier.
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Passenger

What month? I have heard that there are 2 days of choppy seas going and coming. I hope not.
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Familiar Face

Just returned yesterday.
We had one rough day, but honestly I did not mind it as much as others and I get pretty bad motion sickness. I just keep Bonine in my system.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Passenger

We cruised from NY to the Carribbean back in July this past year and we had 3 straight days at sea. The first day was very nice and calm, the 2nd day wasn't 'rocky seas' but was a little less smooth than the first day. The 3rd day though, that was rough. It was difficult to get dressed without almost falling over in our room. There were no storms and our captian said that it was normal. In fact, he reported on the first and second day of sailing that the waters were unusually calm. So from our one experience, yes, it can get a little rough. It's a long trek from NY to the Carribbean. We were very thankful when we finally got to an island. All that being said, we're booking another cruise already! It didn't bother us enough to stop us from going again. Only this time we're flying to Florida so we don't have such a continuous amount of time just strictly sailing.
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I cruised from NYC aboard the QM2 in late Nov. and the two days down the coast there was definite motion. This is quite common.
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Passenger

We've cruised from NYC many times. Seas have been relatively smooth. There was one cruise during March one year where we had 2 days of 18 ft seas. That was rough. But, usually the seas are smooth. We've had calm seas from Antigua to NYC and also from NYC to Canada. I've also experienced 15 ft seas in the Gulf of Mexico with no storm in site.

Overall, you can usually expect seas to be a bit more rough when going past the Carolinas. It doesn't stop us from leaving from NYC. We're leaving from NYC again in April. It sure beats the airline experience.
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Admiral

there is no way of knowing, the Atlantic Ocean is a constant moving body of water, the tendency is for some choppy seas, but rough seas are not the norm. or you could totally luck out and have a nice smooth sail
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Crusing from NY to Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamr0ck333
Is it true that there is a lot of turbulence in the waters leaving from NY to Caribbean??

Is it a very bumpy ride??
shamr0ck333,
Without knowing your departure date it is hard to give you a definitive answer. During winter months, Nov to late March, there are no hurricanes!(At least not yet ) My DW and I have sailed out of NY during these times and I can share with you that the ship makes a difference. You are technically in the North Atlantic in winter until you are off the southern coast of the USA.! Our last voyage on the Cunard Liner Queen Mary 2 we encountered 10 - 15 foot waves passing the Carolinas. (Normal for the time of the year!) The QM2 handled them magnificently - check out her size! On our return 2 weeks later we encountered 20 - 30 foot waves and we sat in the Golden Lion Pub on deck 2 and watched the waves break above the windows! 8) And the Grand Lady was steady as a rock.
There are a multitude seasick remedies, so, please, don't fret about "the motion of the ocean"! Go with a great attitude and with a little "better living through chemistry" you will have a grand time!
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Beginner

I cruised on HAL Noordam last February from NY to Caribbean and it was rough, especially on the return trip. When the waves hit the hull, it made a "BOOM" sound. I do not get sea sick, but I was queasy on our last day back to NY. It was so rough we could not get outside as they closed the outdoor decks. Our trip next month, we are flying to FLA and departing from there. ANother plus of leaving from FLA is you only have to pack clothes for warm climates, not a mix of cold and warm. I plan to toss my coat to my husband at the airport, and my Mom and I going to make a dash for the doors! I am only packing light clothes, so this trip is a lot easier to pack (and of course the thought of the 50 pound max is always on my mind, so I appreciate packing lighter clothes)