Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Passenger

Default Montego Bay Questions/Comments?

Hi Everyone,

On an upcoming RCL cruise, we will be stopping in Montego Bay for the day. My first time as my only other stop in Jamaica has been Ocha Rios.

My question you all is what should I expect at this stop?

Is it one of those "do an excursion" stops or is there a lot to see and do right near the boat dock?

I will have a 14 year old with me and so far I am leaning towards the River Tubing excursion. We are doing snorkeling in Grand Caymen and moped rental in Cozumel.

Any suggestions or tips for this stop?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:19 AM
First Mate

Hi!!!
Our first visit there we spent the day at Sandals,very relaxing. The se-
ond time we did the Martha Rae rafting that we enjoy so much floating
in the river for an hour was beautiful among all the luxurious vegetation.
Have a nice cruise.
MTL
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:35 AM
First Mate

There is noting for you to safely do right off the peir. There is a duty free mall at the peir, but no access to a beach there. Inside the mall is an information desk that has good rates on excursions. Look over what they have and then enjoy this great port.
Old January 13th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I'd suggest a shore excursion as the previous poster is right, the Free Zone is just a dropp off, pick up point for the cruise ships.

There is a shopping area in the terminal building, it isn`t huge, but it has a place that sells booze, coffee├ęspices, and other general shops that sell a little bit of everything!!!!

MoBay is nice. You can try to find a tour operator online that will take you around and do what you want, but I am not sure if there is a size limit to the party...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

The same place where you do the river rafting is where they also have the canopy tour. Its a good 40 minute bus ride there. Agree, there is nothing right by the pier, do the excursion. BTW, the canapy tour was excellent, lots of fun.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I had my first stop at this port a year or so ago, and I would not go back...We chose an island tour, which made a stop at a craft fair, at a very hilly area, as well as a strip mall. Most of the people stayed onboard the bus. We also went to Margarittaville, where we wathced a drug deal go down, as we walked into the dirty restaurant.

To say this was port was disappointing to us is an understatement...But I feel if beach/water related excursions are chosen, it will be a better time.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 26th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Admiral

grab a cab at the pier and head over to Doctors Cove Beach, its is a beautiful beach, make arrangements for a round-trip fare
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaK
grab a cab at the pier and head over to Doctors Cove Beach, its is a beautiful beach, make arrangements for a round-trip fare
Admission to the beach (Doctors Cave) is $5 per person. Chairs and umbrellas are extra also. They have a nice bar/grill called the Groovy Grouper. The food was delicious. You can rent jet skis from a local. They have a big floating trampoline in the water too. Since they charge admission there isn't any of the drugs you see at other beaches. It is also shared with Breeze's Mobay. It wasn't real crowded when we went, but I've heard it can get that way.

P.S. Try the conch fritters!
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Beginner

Go with the river tubing, it is great fun with teens. I actually live here on the Island and can say that I wouldn't really recommend much else for a 14yo boy in MoBay. There is a cheezy video arcade across from Margarittaville (which is a high priced waste of time). However, if you are looking to do some water activities, go to Aquasol. It is a small, protected beach with trampolines and you can rent jet skis, kayaks, all that stuff. Or go to the MoBay Marine Park. They offer a submarine thing or you can get snorkel equipment and check things out yourselves. Walking around MoBay is not really recommended unless you are very familiar with the Higgler/scams that are common in the Caribbean. The Old craft market is actually better than the touristy one they take you to near Margarritaville. But, you will get called to and pressured to "come inside and look". If you are looking for something specific, this is the way to shop. But, having said all that, I still think that the river tubing would be the most fun for a teen boy. Enjoy your trip.