Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Beginner

Default First Time Cruiser...which is better, E or W Carribean

My husband and I have never been on a cruise and want to plan one. What would be the best....Eastern or Western Carribean? We are thinking about the first of second week of December 2009. What do you think of this time of year? We are in our late 40's and want a "laid back - eat when we want to" atmoshere on a cruiseline without many kids. We want to see beautiful islands, snorkle and swim with the dolphins. We are active people so want to get off the ship and have fun. Shopping is not a priority, seeing beautiful sites and fun things to do are more important. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Admiral

Hi Welcome to Cruisemates

The second week of December may be part of winter break so if you want to avoid kids then I suggest you take a longer cruise 7-9 days. The longer the cruise, the less kids there are. Have you thought about taking a Southern Caribbean cruise? Western Caribbean goes to Mexico. Eastern Caribbean goes to the Bahamas. While there are wonderful sites to see in both places, you might want to venture to multiple islands with different cultures.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old July 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think the winter breaks are a bit later into the month, here anyway.....if you want a more water intensive itinerary, then the western is for you, Not to say you can't so some things on the eastern itin, but the western has much more to offer.

That time frame, historically, also offers some fantastic bargains, because, so many people are thinking of just getting through the holiday season..happy hunting

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 26th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to jamaicaexpert

I think the western caribbean is the best choice for u. and i know for a fact that winter season starts later in december. In jamaica u could visit dolphin cove to swim with dolphins, stinkrays and go snorkling, u can go climbing at the dunns river falls, u can go tubing or rafting at the white river, then for a more peaceful scenery u can go to coyaba gardens or the mystic mountain tour. U can email me to find out which tour company is best.
enjoy your vacation!!!!!
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:15 PM
First Mate

every cruise is wunderfull i think the best for you is western cruise 7 nights mexico wit cosumel and tulum, a day at sea then jamaica with the wunderfull dunn river falls, the an other day at sea, then grand gayman island wher you can go too the place Hell.

this is one of the finest i think.

-------------------------------
carnival sensation 11/93
carnival destiny 03/06
carnival freedom 07/07
carnival miracle 02/09
rci serenade of the seas 01/10
Old August 16th, 2009, 09:24 AM
First Mate

my vote is for the southern route.
2007 carnival liberty
2005 carnival destiny
2004 rccl radiance of the seas
2003 rccl explorer of the seas
Old August 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree, go for the southern.
Old August 19th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Admiral

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas is one of the cheaper periods to cruise.

A lot of families do something for both of those holidays and discretionary spending is reduced.

Just after New Year's is another slack time.

There is beauty everywhere - perhaps in your own backyard. Same for fun. How would you rate your snorkeling ability?
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to karen2cruise

This is a little late, but first two weeks of December should be fine. January and February are good months to avoid lots of kids too.

All the itineraries offer great snorkeling
West- Grand Cayman (stingrays snorkeling), Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan offer great snorkeling (cozumel & Roatan have dolphin excursion), Jamaica stay on the ship.

East -St Thomas, St Maarten, Turks/Caicos, Bahamas, San Juan great outdoor stuff- snorkeling (San Juan has rainforests, biolumiscent bay kayaking and Old town exploring)

East/South , Dominica & St Lucia (great mountains as well as water activities) Aruba, Barbados etc all great water activties, sailing, diving.

We are taking our 6th/7th cruises to Caribbean this fall and still are seeing new ports.

So many ports so little time!

ps- Mexican Riviera, Hawaii and Tahiti cruises have great snorkeling, dolphins, outdoor activities too 8)

Conquest

Read and post cruise reviews