Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Beginner

Default First Time Cruisers needing advice

We are planning a cruise (possibly November 2010) with another couple and are trying to decide where to go.

We know we want to go on a 7 day cruise to the caribbean but to what part? We are in our 40s and 50s and probably would not be real adventurous (no zipline or scuba diving for us). We would probably want to do some sightseeing and relaxing on the beach. We are not into partying and would not do alot of shopping.

Also, I want to be blown away by the beaches (like the ones you see in calendars).

Can you give us some suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Beth, If you are interested in doing the southern Caribbean, there sre some wonderful beaches to be had...On a 7 day, you would need to leave from San Juan...Grenada has Grand Anse Beach, considered ot be one of the most beautiful....Thiis itineray iis port intensive but, worth doing...other nice beaches too in this area.

The western is more geared for water enthusiasts, so I would say, for you guys, maybe the eastern will give you the most bang for your buck...
St Thoma has Megans Bay, and if you ferry over to St. John, you will find postcard beaches....Antigua, has 365 beaches, and, surely one would be perfect Half Moon Cay, Carnival/HAL's priveate island is a slice of heaven....

Now all you have to do is decide If the time period of after Thanksgiving to mid Dec could work for you, there usually are some amazing deals out there. you can cruise, while othere Xmas shop

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 24th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I will start looking into Eastern Caribbean cruises.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

All in all, I would agree with an Eastern itinary, but also be sure to look at a nice Southern Caribbean cruise as well. Going on a Southern have less "sea" days, but more island stops, more beaches and shopping :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Admiral

i agree with the other ladies that an Eastern Route would probably be your best bet .
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have done east west and south and I would recommend the southern. Either way if you are looking for the calendar type beaches make sure St. Thomas is on your intinerary. Sapphire beach,Magen's bay, or trunk bay in St. John you will not be dissapointed. We liked the western caribbean but the beaches are not anything like what the eastern and southern has to offer. We prefer doing the southern because many of them leave from puerto rico and we enjoy spsending a few days there prior to the cruise.
Mariner of the seas 2008