Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Passenger

Default Belize - Lamanai Mayan Ruins Help

Has anyone done this shore excursion? If so, with what company? I saw one recommendation for belizecruiseexcursions.com but I am looking for more feedback. In my opinion, Lamanai looks more appealing than Xunantunich but Lamanai is not available as an excursion through the cruise ship. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

We did the Lamanai tour with http://belizecruiseexcursions.com/Lamanai_Belize.htm and it was an excellent tour.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:58 PM
Familiar Face

We did it also last year andit was great!
Old November 12th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Familiar Face

Default Lamanai Maya Ruins and New River Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanham View Post
Has anyone done this shore excursion? If so, with what company? I saw one recommendation for belizecruiseexcursions.com but I am looking for more feedback. In my opinion, Lamanai looks more appealing than Xunantunich but Lamanai is not available as an excursion through the cruise ship. Thanks!
Above was the title of the tour we had arranged for us in Belize. Major Tom did that and his site Belize Cave Tubing, Zipline, Mayan Ruins, Wildlife Centres, Snorkeling, and other tour activities with Major Tom, Minor Tom, and their veteran tour guides in Belize carried a great description. Our group of 22 were thrilled - Carnival does not do this tour, so we lucked in. Don't know about Xunantunich so I can't compare. Here's what the Major's site says of the tour :

Just an hour up the paved Northern Highway is the New River, which flows from the New River Lagoon north to the Bay of Corozal. This river is a wildlife haven and offers the perfect combination tour of ancient Maya site and pleasant riverboat tour with exotic flora and fauna. The boats at the New River Bridge take you for about an hour and a half on this pristine rain forest river for the first leg of your adventure, where you will also pass the famous Mennonite settlement of Shipyard in the area, and other small farms. Arriving at the Lamanai Maya site on the New River Lagoon, you’ll first be treated to a great Belizean lunch of rice and beans, and stewed chicken, with fruit and a drink, under the palapa at the site, before setting off on your easy rain forest trail through one of the most ancient cities of the world famed Maya civilization, actually called LAMANAYIN, which means “submerged crocodile”. The croc was considered to be an earthly manifestation of the first dark lord of the underworld (the Maya believed NINE dark lords ruled the underworld, called “XIBALBA”). Look out for exotic birds and the howler and spider monkeys who inhabit the trees at the site. At the end of your exploration, hop back on board your riverboat and head back to the bridge where you started, and then on board your van, back to Belize City, or wherever it is you started from on this most popular full day tour.