CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Heading to Grand Turk.... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/371138-heading-grand-turk.html)

cutestmomof2 January 24th, 2010 03:10 PM

Heading to Grand Turk....
 
We are on Princess in April, heading to St Marten, St Thomas and Grand Turk. Not sure what (if any) we should do for excursions. 3 kids with us...20, 18 and 13. any suggestions would be great!!!!

lulu48 January 25th, 2010 10:09 AM

Not much on Grand turk I would do the beach right at the dock
Unless you are scuba divers you could book that,

hockeynut January 26th, 2010 11:58 AM

Grand Turk has a decent cruise terminal. There is a beach right at the dock as mentioned and a Margaritaville with a large pool and a flowrider. Your kids might enjoy the flowrider. I did it last year and had a blast.

The flowrider sells out quickly though, so you should go online and pre-reserve it if they are interested.

Are you on the Emerald Princess? We're doing that same itinerary on 4/11 on the Emerald.

TKirkley January 26th, 2010 01:39 PM

Is the beach right at Grand Turk free or do you have to pay? Is there a place there to get eat?

cutestmomof2 February 1st, 2010 02:12 PM

We ARE going on the Emerald! Having the hardest time deciding if we're going to do any excursions at all...at any of the islands.....what about you??

hockeynut February 1st, 2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKirkley (Post 1270252)
Is the beach right at Grand Turk free or do you have to pay? Is there a place there to get eat?

The beach is free, and the pool at Margaritaville is also free. You do not have to buy drinks/food to use the pool. You can eat at the Margaritaville, but they do charge you for it. The drinks and food is expensive, but it is fun there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutestmomof2 (Post 1271343)
We ARE going on the Emerald! Having the hardest time deciding if we're going to do any excursions at all...at any of the islands.....what about you??

We've done all these ports before, so we aren't doing many excursions.

In St. Thomas, my wife wanted to see the Amber Museum so we are only doing that there (only about a 2 hour tour I think).

In Grand Turk we rented a cabana for the day. They looked nice and my wife got burnt badly there last year so

St. Maarten we aren't doing any excursions and might just stay on the ship that day. Princess Cays is just a beach so all we did was rent a float since neither of us snorkel or scuba dive.

teil4 February 2nd, 2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutestmomof2 (Post 1269890)
We are on Princess in April, heading to St Marten, St Thomas and Grand Turk. Not sure what (if any) we should do for excursions. 3 kids with us...20, 18 and 13. any suggestions would be great!!!!

We just got off the Emerald and Princess Cay was a beach day for us. They offered a BBQ buffet from the ship on the island. Most of our excursions were cancelled due to rough seas. You are tendered and taken to the island in the lifeboats. Can be a bit rough. St. Marten, we shopped (have lovely beach that you can enjoy from the water taxi) right in front of the boardwalk. St. Thomas, shopped and walked. Some of our group did the helmet dive and island tours. On Grand Turk (not much there). Margaritiville at end of peer with pool you can use, some shops, but the best beach! The kids will love it. Not too deep and water crystal clear. Enjoy, wish I was going back. Here in MI it's snowing today!

Donna February 2nd, 2010 08:11 PM

Do they offer many shore excursions in Grand Turk? I've seen parts of the island on TV and it looks beautiful, would love to get a look around, water/beach look lovely as well.

hockeynut February 2nd, 2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1271566)
Do they offer many shore excursions in Grand Turk? I've seen parts of the island on TV and it looks beautiful, would love to get a look around, water/beach look lovely as well.

Princess does offer a few such as:

Grand Turk Experience
Pass by the former United States Air Force facility where astronaut John Glen was debriefed in 1962 after his historic space flight. Later travel by a replica of John Glen's Space Capsule which stands at the entrance to the international airport named for the first Chief Minister and national hero James Alexander George Smith (JAGS) McCartney. Continue past Waterloo, built in 1815, which presently serves as home to His Excellency the Governor, the representative of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Throughout your island drive, see several 18th-century churches, beautiful Bermudan-style buildings, remnants of the salt producing days, and wild horses and donkeys freely roaming the streets. Enjoy a 15-minute stop at Lighthouse Park. Discover this fascinating 150-year-old working lighthouse and take in the views of the turquoise seas. A stop will also be made at the Grand Quay Salt Company, also known as "The Salt House." The re-created 17th-century salt pan chronicles the history of the salt and slave industry in Grand Turk.


Historical Town, Homes, & Museum
Your informative guide will provide commentary as you drive along the tree-lined streets and learn about the homes and past residents. Photo opportunities include the 200-year old Freeman House and the famous Turks Head Inn, the original manor home of the island's salt overseer, circa 1840. Next stop is Front Street, the business center of town lined with historic landmarks. See the Victoria Library, visit the Anglican Church, built in 1899. Enjoy a guided tour of the national museum. Hear the story about the Molasses Reef Wreck, the oldest European shipwreck discovered in the Western Hemisphere. There will be free time for shopping before your return to the ship

Conch World, Island Drive, & Tasting

Discover Grand Turk-Governor's Beach

Governor's Beach Break

Chukka 4WD Safari

Chukka Beach Horseback Ride & Swim

Bike & Beach

Chukka Buggy Safari

Catamaran Sail, Snorkel & Beach

Then a few Fishing, snorkeling, scuba, and stingray excursions.

bermudafreak February 8th, 2010 04:17 PM

Really depends upon your personality-I am a snorkel beach girl myself. I traveled to Grand Turk two years ago with my 10 year old son, mother, and brother. My mom and brother elected to stay right at the port but my son and I had a bit more adventure and boy was it worth it. We headed to the taxi station, found Moses, and had him take us to his beach of choice. The area itself is what I think of when I think of a preferred tropical location. Minimal development and just gorgeous-not to mention the wildlife. We ended up a Pillory Beach where there are hammocksand the local welcoming committee of a cat and a couple of dogs. There was a dive site on location and a restuarant. I had the best fresh fish sandwich I have ever had with local beer. The beach was breathtaking and I could count the number of people there-all I could think about was the port beach and how many people were there. Moses arrived back to pick us up and stopped at the colorful souviner shanties on the way back so we could shop. Great experience and we still had time to hit the port shops and Margaritaville!

rollerdonna April 6th, 2010 11:36 PM

I'm glad to hear there's a Margaritaville with a pool - that's where I'll be headed!

donna

Froufie May 22nd, 2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bermudafreak (Post 1272762)
Really depends upon your personality-I am a snorkel beach girl myself. I traveled to Grand Turk two years ago with my 10 year old son, mother, and brother. My mom and brother elected to stay right at the port but my son and I had a bit more adventure and boy was it worth it. We headed to the taxi station, found Moses, and had him take us to his beach of choice. The area itself is what I think of when I think of a preferred tropical location. Minimal development and just gorgeous-not to mention the wildlife. We ended up a Pillory Beach where there are hammocksand the local welcoming committee of a cat and a couple of dogs. There was a dive site on location and a restuarant. I had the best fresh fish sandwich I have ever had with local beer. The beach was breathtaking and I could count the number of people there-all I could think about was the port beach and how many people were there. Moses arrived back to pick us up and stopped at the colorful souviner shanties on the way back so we could shop. Great experience and we still had time to hit the port shops and Margaritaville!


Sounds interesting - can you advise cost of taxi/driver and what kind of facilities they had at Pillory beach? How long did it take to get there? Thanks!

bermudafreak June 19th, 2010 08:53 AM

As you exit the terminal, just go straight ahead to the taxi stand. We used Moses Taxi and he came back on time to get us and even stopped at the colorful souvinier shantys for us to shop. Cost was maybe 10-15, can't remember exactly. Only took about 5-10 minutes. So worth it!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1