Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Default Limon Costa Rica & Colon Panama opinion

I am looking at an 8 day cruise from Ft. Lauderdale on the Freedom that visits these two ports. Has anyone been and what are they like? The other port is Cozumel which we have been to. I was just wondering if anyone has an opinion about these two ports? Good or bad? Thanks, Vicki

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Puerto Limon is beautiful once you get out of town. Get a taxi tour or a cruise line excursion to the beaches or to the plantations and jungle area. We did a taxi tour and loved it. The highlight was stopping at a beach side restaurant and talking with the owner. An expat named Johnny Dixon.

There also gorgeous sea vistas.

Colon was not my favorite but there are a number of Canal excursions you can do.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Thanks Mike. The pictures are very pretty. Both places sound good to me. I just wanted to know what other people thought. There is one excursion the ship offers that goes to the panama canal by bus and I think to lake Guten, I can't remember exactly what all was included. I would love to do that. Anyway, thanks for the pix. Vicki

Need some cruise help?
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Captain

Port Limon we did a private tour to the Tortugero canal , banana proccessing place, lunch on the beach
Great spot
Old March 3rd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Familiar Face

We took this cruise last year, although instead of Cozumel we had to go to Belize because of H1N1. We had a great time!
In Colon we did a tour of the Gatun Locks on the Panama Canal and then went to Portobello to see the old forts and the Church of the Black Christ. That was a very interesting tour and we enjoyed it a lot. If you like history this is a good one.
In Limon we took a canal tour that was amazing. We saw sloths, howler monkeys, spider monkeys, and all sorts of birds and reptiles. We were also supposed to go to a banana plantation but there was a strike at a factory and we couldn't get through. The bus drove us past another banana plantation and got us close enough to see the trees. We got to drive through a lot of countryside as well as the city. It was a good tour.
Have fun! The Freedom is a great ship!
Carnival Dream (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya) - June '11
Carnival Freedom (Key West, Grand Cayman, Jamaica) Dec. '12
Carnival Sunshine (Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) - June '14
Carnival Fantasy (Caribbean) - Dec. '14
Carnival Liberty (Alaska) - June '15
Old March 19th, 2010, 03:54 AM
Captain

We went to Colon and Limon last December and loved both ports. We did a aerial tram thru the rain forest in Panama which was great and in Limon we did the bus tour to San Jose, the Capital of Costa Rica. We really enjoyed the bus trip, the country is so beautiful and we got to see Bannana plantations and Pinapple plantations and Coffee bean plantations too.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15