Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default St. Kitts

I need some info. on St. Kitts. When you get off ths ship where is the best beach that is close by the port???
How should we get there???
thanks
viv
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Been there once and took a cab to Turtle beach which is a bit of a distance away, but an awful nice beach with great views, etc.

You can check through the list of shore excursions and see if any are listed there and either go with that or possibly go on your own, just depends on the time in port.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Admiral

Been there once and took a cab to Turtle beach which is a bit of a distance away, but an awful nice beach with great views, etc.

You can check through the list of shore excursions and see if any are listed there and either go with that or possibly go on your own, just depends on the time in port.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Admiral

I was perusing and just saw this post ,coincidentally one of my daughters is vacationing there now.
Old June 30th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Frigate Bay and South Friar's are the closest, I think. You can take a taxi. Be sure you know exactly what you are paying per person each way before getting in the cab. And feel free to talk to a couple drivers. The gov establishes prices so they should be consistent.

Cockelshell Beach is way at the south end of the island, opposite Nevis. The trip is a little costly but it provides some incredible views of both the Caribbean and Atlantic.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Admiral

If you want to try something completely different in St. Kitts, check out the Train Ride around the island. It is a lovely old train, the scenery is spectacular, and the refreshments and entertainment onboard are delightful!

donna
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Rd,
I was in St. Kitts before the train, how long a ride is it? Can you get off in some spots and pick it up again, say if you want to go to a beach, etc.?

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 9th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Passenger

I don't remember the name of the beach that we went to but we took a "taxi tour" around the entire island (literally, there is a road that goes all the way around) and had time to be at the beach for a couple of hours with time to spare. It only cost us $20 a person. I have heard others say that the beach at the Marriott is great and for a reasonable fee you can get a "room for the day" which includes chairs, towels and use of a room.
Old October 9th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Beginner

The closest beach to the port is South Frigate Bay. We hired a taxi and went to Cockleshell Beach which we loved. The views are spectacular and worth the drive! There's a nice little beach bar called Reggae Beach Bar Reggae Beach Bar

Delicious food and friendly staff. You can't miss Wilbur their 800 pound pig!

We did a half island tour and then relaxed on the beach for $20 USD per person. Our driver, Seamoss, was very knowledgeable and friendly. He made sure we got back in time to board the ship.

We found this website to be helpful. www.lizpereirastourstore.shutterfly.com
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Thanks Rd,
I was wondering how the train ride is, when I was there it wasn't even in the works.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Default Train

It is apparently an old sugar cane train route but with a modern rollingstock, it isn't a get on & off as far as I know, just a round trip with refreshements & some entertainment, local singers etc. We are doing it when we visit, I think they just sell to the cruiseline that is in port but I may be wrong about this.
Found this.....
Description: Join the St Kitts’ narrow gauge railway train for a unique journey along the northeastern coastline of this beautiful island. Built between 1912 and 1926 to deliver sugar cane from the fields to Basseterre, the railway provides a fascinating way to see some of the island from the comfort of custom built sightseeing railcars.

After a brief drive to Needsmust Station, you’ll board the train. Heading north along the coastline, you’ll roll across tall bridges and gently wind your way through villages and farms and see the light green fields of cane.

The unique railcars feature an upper level with a spacious open-air observation deck and air-conditioned seating on the lower level. Each car has a service bar and restrooms. During the journey, you’ll be treated to musical entertainment, a colourful narrative history of the island and complimentary drinks.

Last edited by johnthed0g; October 9th, 2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added description
Old October 9th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Admiral

John,
You could be right about just being sold through the cruiseline.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Admiral

It costs £57 whatever that is... $US80 p/p
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:13 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
It costs £57 whatever that is... $US80 p/p
All train rides are an adventure. I'd take it , entertainment, scenary, drinks and restrooms, sounds good to me

Todays rates: 57.00 GBP=91.0034 USD
More likely priced in US80 $ so the right conversion is ..80.00 USD=50.1080 GBP

St. Kitts Scenic Railway - Home /started in 2004/

Tour Highlights
Cruise ship passengers board Railway transfer buses right beside the pier at Port Zante for their ride to join the train. The tour operates both as a train / bus and as a bus / train tour, depending on the departure time. A 3 hour ride

Join Us in St. Kitts
If you are traveling by cruise vessel, your tickets are available on board through the Shore Excursion Office of your cruise ship. Some lines offer online tour booking. Try the links below for your convenience.
If you are traveling independently, and staying at a hotel on island, St. Kitts Scenic Railway Tour tickets are available at your Hotel's Tour Desk or The Tour Store at www.stkittstourstore.com.
You can contact us directly at scenicreservations@sisterisles.kn
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/

Last edited by robh; October 9th, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Default Hi Rob..

This is a holiday of a lifetime for us, 28 nights Caribbean, so we intend to make the most of it! Booked loads of trips, easy way out but to be honest I can't be bothered with organising it. We are in New Orleans for two days & will sort something out there, riverboat maybe, SanJuan we will just have a wander about, I think we have something organised for the rest.
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:35 PM
First Mate

Quote:
This is a holiday of a lifetime for us, 28 nights Caribbean, so we intend to make the most of it! Booked loads of trips, easy way out but to be honest I can't be bothered with organising it. We are in New Orleans for two days & will sort something out there, riverboat maybe, SanJuan we will just have a wander about, I think we have something organised for the rest.
John,
Wow... what are your dates and Ship . sounds fantastic.

We will be in Barbados early November with family and then take Sea Princess for 14 days though St. Kitts is not one of the Islands.

Have a great trip and I hope all your travel plans work out as you expected.
take care /Rob
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Admiral

This is the cruise, December 11th for 28 nights Xmas & New year too.

http://www.pocruises.com/en/Cruises-...ry&Search=true
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Beginner

The train is great if you have been to St. Kitts before or have mobility problems and can't get in and out of buses. The company that was selling the train (The Tour Store) has closed and reopened under the name Pereira Tours. Message

Instead of paying $90 USD, I preferred to go with a local tax driver. We were able to stop and see Romney Manor (where they make batik) Brimstone Hill Fortress (a must see) and also the black rocks. Our guide, Seamoss, was very knowledgeable and stopped often so we could take pictures.
Old October 9th, 2010, 08:59 PM
First Mate

Quote:
This is the cruise, December 11th for 28 nights Xmas & New year too.

http://www.pocruises.com/en/Cruises-...ry&Search=true
Nice.. we would have left Barbados a few days befoe you arrive and our trip covers some of the Islands you will visit.
On I noted Azura is all sold out but the Suite is still available John , you could do an upgrade.
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our TA/ friend is also coming on this trip, he booked a funny crazy guy in st. kitts he has a taxi this guy has a green beard, so I think he is going to take us around the Island then I would like to go to beach that Donna was telling us about:razz:

2002- Celebrity Summit –Alaska
2004-RCI Vision of the Sea – Alaska
2006- Carnival Victory- Canada
2007-Crown Princess- Caribbean
2008- Carnival Miracle- Caribbean
2010-Explorer of the Sea -Caribbean
2011 NCL Jewel to Caribbean
2012 NCL Gem to Caribbean ( during Hurricane sandy)
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Familiar Face

Updates please on any of the ideas posted here.
We will visit St Kitts on the 2nd leg of our B2B next April.
Festivale 1990
Tropicale 1992
Holiday 1994
Inspiration 1996
Celebration 1998
Inspiration 2000
Elation 2001
Destiny 2002
Glory 4/24/04
Spirit 10/09/04
Liberty 9/05
Liberty 4/1/06
Spirit 8/1/07 Alaska
Spirit 4/6/08 Mexico
Elation 5/14/09 Catalina
Triumph 9/26/09 New England
Miracle 3/27/11 & 4/4/11 B2B

Next
Spirit 4/28/2012
Old February 19th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Just revisiting this, we may have got the wrong view but we didn't like St.Kitts one bit, the shopping area right outside the port was good, & we took the train ride, nothing special really but the choirs were pleasant. Part of the tour was the transfer to & from the train, the places we passed looked a bit grim & yes we have been to the Caribbean before! A busload of cruisers was robbed before we were there & by the look of the place I am not surprised. Now the other end of the island may well be paradise but we didn't go there.
Someone said the train was the best thing they have ever done, if that is so then they couldn't have done much! Pleasant but that's all.