Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:49 PM
Passenger

Default San Juan at night (saturday night)

My cruise in early april stops in San Juan 4-11pm. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I would have loved to see this city during the day because I've heard that its very European in style and I've never been to Europe (yet).
Are there good places to have dinner near the port? I'll be traveling with husband, our 4 year old daughter, and my parents so nightclubs are probably out of the question. But feel free to suggest them too as my parents will likely offer to take the little one with them while my husband and I go have some fun!
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Admiral

there is a really cool haunted walking tour around Old San Juan if you are into that sort of thing,then there is always bioluminescent bay swim, go to your cruise lines web site and see what they offer, you don't have a big chunk of time
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We took an island tour, which we have done before in the day, but as the sun set, we got a different perspective of this beautiful island. Since much is closed to night time cruisers, options are limited. Do try portpromotions.com though, they may offer you, some options....

As an aside, the streets there are all cobbletone, so walking around with a small child, and your parents, may not be as comfortable as in other ports.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Beautiful fountains at night in walking distance. Nice places to eat with the entire family. Try Barrachina. Barrachina - Birthplace of the Original Piņa Colada

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Admiral

I would suggest Old San Juan
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Passenger

Thank you for the suggestions everyone!!:-D
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:15 AM
Familiar Face

After Celebrity Summit group cruise, Sis, Bro-in-law, and I will meet CA Barb at our hotel on Saturday around noon. Sis has found hotel within walking distance of some sight-seeing. We may rent a car. We'll have the rest of that Sat, then board RCI Adventure Sunday for 7 nights.

Would appreciate more suggestions! Sis and her husband have been there a few times. I cruised from San Juan once--seeing only the bus route from the airport to the ship and back. This will be Barb's 1st Caribbean cruise.
Thanks so much!
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If you are adventuresome, this could be quite the adventure indeed...but since this is a city, and, the streets are the narrowest I have ever seen, especially the very narrow streets right around the port area.. I would suggest contacting a taxi company,and negotiating a day tour, planning out where, and, what you want to see, and, where you want to go.

I have toured via bus, many times,and I have so enjoyed it, night and day, but I could easily see where you could end up in areas, where you may not want to be, and the language barrier, could be an issue, if you needed help with directions etc...

I love having San Juan on my itinerary,and however you decide to spend your day, enjoy this lively port.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator