Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Familiar Face

Default Cruising Western Caribbean in January, is it too cold??

We're considering cruising in January 2011 to the western Caribbean aboard the Carnival Legend which visits Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Isla Roatan. We've been to all these places except Isla Roatan so know its a solid cruise for fun stops. We'd like to go then for a few reasons: my wife's 30th birthday, prices are less this time of year and its been a while since a vacation.

What I'm worried about is the weather this time of year. I've read from a couple people that this is actually a nice time of year to cruise but would like a bit more feedback before booking. I can book later in the year like April for only about $80 per person but January would be a good time to cruise if its nice. I definitely want to cruise before the majority of schools get out and there are kids everywhere. The two previous cruises we've been on with Carnival have been in August and the pool has literally been un-usable due to a swarm of kids.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

January is a great time to cruise any place in the Caribbean! The winter months are warm, not hot, and much dryer than other times of the year. The only minor cavet is that it can be cool to cold the first and last day of your trip depending on the weather at your embarkation/disembarkation port. This has been an minor problem for us nearly every cruise out of either Florida or Texas in January or Febuary.
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Familiar Face

It's kind of funny I never gave much thought to the "fun day at sea" at the beginning and end of the cruise but they are very important as the wind-up and wind-down days. Perhaps it would be better to cruise in April when the days at sea would be more enjoyable.
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Admiral

We cruised in December - returning Christmas day. The weather was a little cool at Port Canaveral but warm from Key West south.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Admiral

living in New England all i can say is that January in the Western Caribbean is so nice and warm
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have cruised the Caribbean many, many times and most of those have been in the Fall and Winter. It's warm, very warm. Now that is the statement from someone from Minnesota. Don't get me wrong, I know what hot is. It's 93 degrees with a 74 degree dew point outside right now. When it's -10 outside I find 82 and sunny a pretty nice change.

The average high temperature for Cozumel, in January, is 80 and the average low is 69. I find that tolerable. :o

Take the January cruise especially if you prefer not to cruise when a lot of families are cruising.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Admiral

We cruised on Carnival Dream this year on April 10th. Florida was very cold this year through the end of April and it was very windy and chilly on deck for most of the cruise. This was the first cruise I sat on the open deck just once and that was with a light jacket on. Of course, people from colder States will find it pleasant. It didn't start warming up until we reached St. Thomas where we snorkeled, it was warmer but the water was cold. On our return to Port Canaveral, the weather again turned chilly. The daytime temperature in Florida in the winter is in the 70's and can drop into the 30's at night. It even snowed this winter in Orlando!! It will be hit or miss as far as weather is concerned in January but you take a chance on the weather regardless of what month you choose. If swimming in the pool, laying out on the open deck and water activities at the ports are things you like to do and you live in a warm climate like me, cruising in the winter months would not be my choice. But, if you come from a colder climate and anything warmer than 60 is a heat wave, than the winter months will be just fine for you.
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:11 AM
First Mate

Think of it this way.
Cruise prices go up towards Christmas, dip a bit in the first two weeks of January than go back up till April as the flock of snow bound folks are heading to the Caribbean and its warmth.
Sometimes you get snow in Florida or the weather dips but the following cruise day morning or afternoon , you are basking in warmth (70-80) , unless it rains then its still warm.
The last day might be cooler but still in the 60`s - 70`s.

Enjoy
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old August 13th, 2010, 02:41 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I have cruised the Caribbean many, many times and most of those have been in the Fall and Winter. It's warm, very warm. Now that is the statement from someone from Minnesota. Don't get me wrong, I know what hot is. It's 93 degrees with a 74 degree dew point outside right now.
I'd get snarky, but I bet there are a few Cactus Wrens around here.

It will be 105 this afternoon where I am. Strangely, one gets kinda used to it.
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I only cruised once at the beginning of the year and on the way back, getting closer to Nassau and Florida, it was freezing, in the 50's. I had hoped it was a bit unusual for that time of year. Once you got into the Caribbean it was very nice....Hopefully you will not have a problem, and a good thing, the hunidy is lower at that time too, so its very enjoyable, especially if you come from the Midwest and are able to cruise that time of year.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Familiar Face

Default Hope you are all right

Going on the Western Caribbean cruise in late December on Carnival - hope you are all right - I need to have a good cruise. And our group will be doing the cave tubing tour plus one other activity - can't decide on ATV or zipline yet, so fingers crossed on good weather. Looking at cavetubing.com or Belize Cave Tubing, Zipline, Mayan Ruins, Wildlife Centres, Snorkeling, and other tour activities with Major Tom, Minor Tom, and their veteran tour guides in Belize for our shore excursions. I like their reviews on the web.I do have one concern, and it's on the "people" section of the message boards.
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

From my experience, going west in January, is a safer bet, then going east. January, especially, in the Bahamas close to the USA, it can chillier than one would expect,of course farther east, this changes...as they say, go west young man, go west

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator