CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Using Credit Card to Call Home-DON'T DO IT! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/376338-using-credit-card-call-home-dont-do.html)

bermudafreak August 22nd, 2010 06:58 PM

Using Credit Card to Call Home-DON'T DO IT!

Just got off the Carnival Pride today from my cruise. Usually, when I go on a cruise I can't get my calling card to work so I buy a local calling card in port and that works. However, on this cruise when we got to Grand Turk I was told by several shop owners that there were no calling cards, that I had to use my credit card so I did. Then, in Freeport I bought a card but could not figure out how to use it so again I used my credit card.
One call from Grand Turk 49.10
One wrong number in Freeport 49.10
One voice mail message for my husband 49.10
Second voice mail message for my husband 49.10
One call from Freeport 49.10
You add it up!!!!!!!
Does anyone know the secret of using those Freeport calling cards?

Mike M August 22nd, 2010 07:13 PM

I haven't used phone cards in a long time. I do use my cell phone. Even at $.95 to $2.50 a minute it is just fine for the short calls I do make.

I suggest using your cell phone in the future.

Take care,
Mike

AF1 September 3rd, 2010 01:20 PM

Maybe the cruise lines should offer advice for making international phone calls; they could offer it up during the port seminars on ship.

robh September 3rd, 2010 01:37 PM

Depends on your cell phone provider and its ability to connect though NA and Caribbean. Course it is the same frequency
Cell Phone provider normally provides a roming number that is billed at your local rates.

It was the phone you used and number you called that was the issue not the CC itself.

worthew8 September 9th, 2010 05:24 PM

I don't make calls on cruises. If the ship has it... buy internet minutes then use a phone with wifi and email capabilities.

On Princess, each ship has a phone number for emergencies. Let them call you.

CarolinaGirl October 27th, 2010 03:54 PM

We checked with verizon, and text messages seem to be the cheapest way to go. Ours is 50 cents for outgoing messages, and 5 cents for incoming messages. This is from Freeport and Nassau and on the ship (Carnival Fantasy) I believe. Check with your carrier, there were different costs for different ships and lines.

Lakers Fan October 27th, 2010 04:10 PM

In the past we've used Costco phone cards

beenie weenie November 19th, 2010 10:43 PM

I have a small netbook (I think I paid like$159 for it) with a headset and microphone and I have made several free or extremely cheap phone calls to the U.S. From all over North and Central America, the Caribbean, England, Spain, Ireland, North Africa. If I can find a wifi signal then I can call someone using skype. We've also used a Sony PSP to make Skype calls as well and check email. It's a little more difficult to manipulate, but it is small and would fit in a large pocket.

One time we were anchored a little way off Grand Cayman and we were able to pick up a wifi signal from a nearby hotel that must have been amplified or bounced by the water and we were able to call home from the balcony of our room.

Unfortunately I have never been able to get it to work with the ship's wireless internet though.

Donna November 20th, 2010 04:56 AM

Best bet is just to use e-mail, either on the ship or when you get to port. You can also pay and use your laptop, still cheaper than those phone calls, YIKES.

marymn April 13th, 2012 02:54 AM

It is better to have a calling card or phone card which you can use for your mobile, it costs very cheap.

international prepaid calling card

Manuel April 13th, 2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike M (Post 1311569)
I haven't used phone cards in a long time. I do use my cell phone. Even at $.95 to $2.50 a minute it is just fine for the short calls I do make.

I suggest using your cell phone in the future.

Take care,
Mike

I also use my cell phone and it works out quite well.

TM

Lakers Fan April 13th, 2012 10:36 PM

I use my credit card (note not cards) as little as possible and never to place a phone call.