Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Eastern or Southern Caribbean?

We have one vacation a year and want to do a 10-day Caribbean in March 2011. We love the beach and snorkling, minimal shopping. My question is which is better out of Ft. Lauderdale, the Eastern or Southern for beaches and snorkling?

Eastern: St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Antigua, Barbados, St. Thomas

Southern: Dominica, St. Thomas, Grenada, Bonaire and Aruba

THANK YOU!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have been to all the islands in your two lists except for Bonaire. They all are nice so IMO it is a toss-up; you cannot go wrong with either. Sorry I cannot give you a more specific answer. If it was me choosing between those two, I would look at the ship as the deciding factor (my luck; is it the same ship?).
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Eastern: St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Antigua, Barbados, St. Thomas

On this itin, you have great beaches in all the ports. You can ferry over to St John, from St Thomas, for fabulous snorkeling and beaches. Barbados has Harrisons Cave...a spectaular excursion, to take a tram ride through...

Southern: Dominica, St. Thomas, Grenada, Bonaire and Aruba

Dominica has eco touristy excursions, not too much else, Grenada has the worlds top 10 beach, Grand Anse Beach..glorious ..Bonaire is world famous for scuba and snorkeling..Aruba has pretty beaches...

hope this helps a bit......what ships?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 25th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Those are really tough to choose from, both look equally as interesting as ports go. Be sure to check into the airfare and then price the two cruises. Unfortunately, the Southern's out of San Juan come with a hefty price on flying there. By the looks of the ports on the Eastern, nice cruise...

Please, let us know which one you go with.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Admiral

oh boy that is a real tough choice, both itinearies are wonderful ports, you really can't go wrong either way, it may come down to your ship of choice and airfare
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Passenger

What a great decision to have to make!!

I've been to all the ports you have listed for the Eastern and they are all beautiful with lovely beaches.

I would pick the Southern just because it has ports I haven't been to and I really want to go to Aruba. But I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Which ship are they each on??
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the info everyone.........very helpful. The ship for both itn is the Emerald Princess. I personally like Princess for the Caribbean cruises because the pools are all open. On Holland the middle pool is slightly closed due to the overhead closure, which although is open, still gets quit a bit of shade. I am looking forward to relaxing on the beautiful beaches and tasting the local food.