Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Beginner

Default Anyone interested in Herod's excursions Dec-17-2010, carnival miracle

Hello,

We did it, we just booked our 1st cruise!!! After long research and reading so many of here posted topics, we chose the 8 night Southern Caribbean with Carnival Miracle.
I already got the air tickets. Now it's time to book the excursions.
I started looking at St Lucia first since the Pitins intrigue me so much. We want to book with Herod- either the land and Sea or the Soufriere Delight.
We are 3 adults and 3 children, 2 of which are 4 year old and will (or should) be free. I don't know how Herod counts the groups but for the Land and Sea he wants 10 adults (to cover the catamaran cost, I guess). In case he is counting the paying child, we need 6 more. Other wise, we are 7 ppl shy or book his trip!
So, if anyone interested, please post here or email me at vesselaray@gmail.com
Also, any other suggestions for St Martin, St Kitts are welcome.
Thank you and happy cruising!
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Passenger

Hey, I just noticed your thread - I hope you've set to email you a notification or you come back to check sometime.

Congratulations on booking! You are going to have an absolutely awesome time!

I've been looking up St. Martin and St. Kitts myself. Now, keep in mind that I have not been to either place yet, and what I'm about to say is based solely on research, not on experience.

St. Martin: There is SO MUCH to do in St. Martin! The hardest part is figuring out what to do.

For us, the winning excursion is the SeaWorld Explorer, which is a semi-sub. A semi-sub is a vessel that is partially above water and partially submerged, and the submerged portion of the vessel has windows or portholes that let you see the sealife around you. The SeaWorld people send a diver out to feed the fish in front of your windows, ensuring you see lots of fish and maybe some turtles. You can book directly from the provider for $39 in advance, plus a $1 "mandatory donation" to the local marine wildlife park (who won't let you drive through to get TO the sub if you don't pay up) at the time of arrival. Booking direct will get you 1 hour 15 minutes in the semi-sub. By contrast, booking through your ship may get you a shorter period of time in the sub. The company representative said that the average taxi fare was $18 for 2 people (and taxis may charge more for additional people). If you book through your ship, you get transport included; however, given how much more of your day is left before and/or after, you may be better off paying for taxis so you don't have to return to the ship and then head out again.

Another option is the Butterfly Farm, which is $12 at the door if you just show up (no reservation needed), or is surely included as a stop in several ship-sponsored tours.

There are some old-fashioned sailing ships - the Captain Morgan and the Lord Sheffield. In particular, the Lord Sheffield looks interesting for kids because it has a bit of a pirate theme going.

As for St. Kitts, I have not yet seen anything at all that looks like it is geared for children. Maybe the scenic railway ride might work.
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Beginner

Thank you for the ideas.
I checked the semi-sub and I think the kids will enjoy it a lot. Did you make any reservations? I sent a request through their web site. So far, no news from them.
St Kitts- I asked about the railroad tour, one company said it is too early yet.
Are you taking the same trip? the same dates?
thanks!!!
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Passenger

Glad to help!

No, I'm taking a Christmas cruise on Dec. 20 on another ship (the Mercury). Depending on your ship's itinerary, we might be at either of those stops on the same date... but it seems unlikely

Yes, lalexander is really slow about replying Probably only checks email two or three times a week. But she will reply! (Make sure you emailed lalexander, and not one of the other emails on the website!)

I plan on making reservations for the semi-sub early next week.

Keep smiling!