CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   What to do in Belize? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/378943-what-do-belize.html)

BGrow December 26th, 2010 08:24 PM

What to do in Belize?

Is there anything to do besides cave tubing in Belize? We haven't decided against it completely, just wondering if there is anything else fun to do. We are going in early March which is a low water time and I've heard that can make the "floating" less exciting and more work. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Phil&Liz December 27th, 2010 08:21 PM

Snorkling in the Caye.

paddletoe53 January 8th, 2011 10:57 PM

wha to do in belize

when we went to belize we did the altun ha and river wallace tour we
ejoyed it very much dnise

Block January 8th, 2011 11:38 PM

Definatly the snorking off the caye. The Barrier reef, with a stop at the caye it is sooo beautiful and the best shrimp prepared by local (new Yorker orig.) right in front of his house. I booked thru shoretrips.com. We have snorkeled alot..this was wonderful...starfish, conch colorful fish, and small sharks, stingray.. Great !!

Snoozeman January 9th, 2011 12:08 AM

Caye Caulker is great!

AngelFish January 14th, 2011 09:20 AM

Belize and Goff's Caye snorkeling

Another excellent idea is Goff's Caye Beach & Snorkeling

This little island is a short boat ride away and you can snorkel from shore. Its truely beautiful!

Marc January 14th, 2011 11:58 AM

Last week I went to the Mayan ruins at Lamanai. Trip involves a bus ride, a river cruise, and, finally, a tour of the ruins. It is a good trip although a long day as you get to see a large part of the countryside. As I went to Tikal the next day, it made for a good comparison of both the ruins and the Belize and Guatemala countrysides.

Marc

Zack Adams January 14th, 2011 02:49 PM

Goff's Caye and Belize City,Belize - Thoughts - www.houserphotography.net

We went to Goff's Caye as well:D

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuluAlpo.../0/uhxmKDIP8YQ

More pics of Goff's Caye in my slideshow!

hawaiigirl100 January 18th, 2011 04:44 PM

Mayan Ruins

You are in an excellent spot to go to the Mayan Ruins. Belize has 3 different ones to choose from that you can easily do and be back to your ship in plenty of time.
Altun Ha is the easiest to get to, and it is very pretty. You can hike up two of the ruins for an amazing view.
Lamania is the one that impressed me the most. You will go on a river boat tour up to the ruins. Trust me on this one, you will be impressed!
Book online though, skip booking with your cruise ship. The cruise ships only moved into Belize a few years ago, and they have been trying to push the prices of tours up. The local companies are trying very hard to keep belize affordable. But, definitely book before you go as when you get off the ship, you will have all sorts of little guys offering you tours in their brothers taxi. You don't want to go without a set plan. Book ahead and skip the craziness.
I have used these guys before, great prices and a great tour.
Belize Lamanai Temples

Luvtotrvl February 5th, 2011 09:47 AM

You may be able to have your cake AND eat it, with a "combo" trip to both Altun Ha Maya site and cave tubing - and BTW, the tour operator you chose will determine how well you cave tube - some guides in Belize are more experienced than others at this particular tour (most likely the time they started doing this tour!!). We went with Major Tom in Belize (and his son "Minor Tom") and they knew exactly how to maneuver the river to allow us to stay afloat - no hard work at all. And we liked their naturpathic tour of the rainforest and Maya background of the caves. Altun Ha was beautifully set in rainforest as well, and being able to climb prepared steps to the tops of two of the main temples was a photo op of a lifetime. Try Belize Cave Tubing, Zipline, Mayan Ruins, Wildlife Centres, Snorkeling, and other tour activities with Major Tom, Minor Tom, and their veteran tour guides in Belize - and there are a couple other independents that are excellent as well. Belize does have great independent tour operations, judging from all the forum posts I've read on several sites.

foxor February 22nd, 2011 07:22 PM

I highly recommend Charlie's Cave Tubing. Highlight of our whole cruise. We went tubing in February last year and it was very relaxing just floating through the water. Zero work on our part. The tour was private (very reasonably priced) and we added on a longer hike for a small extra fee per person. As a result we walked much further than all the other cruise guests and saw much more flora and fauna including howler monkeys, then tubed through two extra caves. We had those first caves all to ourselves before getting back to where the other cruisers were. We had three of us being paddled by our one guide, where other tours had very long chains of people.

Check out a video of our experience here:
YouTube - Cave Tubing in Belize

Have a great trip!

Luvtotrvl April 30th, 2011 09:15 PM

News from Belize on tours

Read up in the official tourism circulars on Belize that a tourism sort of cooperative called a federation has been formed of a lot of the people and groups involved in cruise activities. The websites of independent operators will soon be showing a logo titled FECTAB - the Federation of Cruise Tourism Associations of Belize, with general information on activities and those who are best qualified and licensed to carry out the tours. The display will soon appear, the official source said, on the opening page of member's websites, showing a cruiseship and the logo of the group, with an invitation to click on it, and get all the info guests need. Wiating to see it, and try it. Hope it's good !!! Well done, little Belize !!:-D:rolleyes:

showcat May 10th, 2011 09:18 PM

Xunantunich ruins are excellent in Belize one of the few pyramids you can still climb. You can see other countries from the top, the view is quite impressive! I 've also snorkeled Shark Ray alley/Cay Cauker and enjoyed that. Belize is my favorite port because there is so much to do, hardest part is trying to decide!

daeschek March 5th, 2013 12:57 PM

Things to do in Belize

I went to Belize last year and we were very well entertained for the whole week. We went cave tubing, saw Xunantinich, went on a birding tour, and then went diving off of Caye Caulker. I wrote an article on the trip with more information, check it out!

Things to do in Belize