Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Familiar Face

Default Jamaica and Grand Cayman help

ok I am going to ocho rios jamacia and grand cayman I would like to know if jamacia is as bad as they say?
I know it's just your opinion but I will read them and decide what to do when I get there. thank you
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Your best bet in Jamaica is to book some kind of an excursion. Always best to be with a group. Jamaica is actually a very beautiful island, very lush with many good things to do. The falls is always an exciting excursion if you haven't already done that, worth the time....just beware of the vendors at the top of the falls, they don't like to hear you say "no". I must agree, they have some of the most agressive people I've come across on the islands.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Admiral

I agree with Donna, Jamaica is a gorgeous island with lots to do and see, i would not however,explore on my own, go with a ships tour or with a local REPUTABLE tour operator. Dunns River Falls is a blast, there is zip-lining, lazy river rafting, plantation tours just to mention a few
Old December 30th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Admiral

Jamaica is beautiful. We went on a tour of the Appleton Estate from Montego Bay. The roads are terrible but the view is worth it.
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Do you have any ideas for Grand Cayman? If you've never snorkeled with the Sting Rays, I'd suggest that one..

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 30th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Admiral

yep a snorkel trip with the stingrays is a must do in Grand Cayman
Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:17 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks Donna we are doing just what you said we booked dunn river falls in jamacia and are renting snorkeling gear in grand cayman.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Familiar Face

Just got back. Of Jamaica, Cozymel & Grand Cayman, my 2 boys like Jamaica the best. My husband was really worried about Jamaica, so we booked a day pass to Half Moon Bay Resort through ShoreTrips. It was really nice. Our driver was Billy.

I talked with others on our cruise, and they also booked beach stays at resorts and had no problems.

My boys did not want to do the sting ray thing so we booked the Tiki Beach excursion through Carnival. Wish we would have booked a beach trip on our own.....lots of time wasted dealing with the busses.
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Admiral

We did a trip to Negril as we were in Mo'bay, I was surprised how nice it was...most impressed & would go back, now that's something I never thought I would say! Due to weather conditions our ship overnighted there, we were advised NOT to go out, one lot who did got robbed....
Grand Cayman was unfortunately too rough to tender in so we missed the port.
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Captain

We have been to Ocho Rios twice and have loved every minute of it. We did the bobsled rides on Mystic mountain and went to Couples resorts San Suci all on our own. We have never had a problem there.

Most posts I have read that have problems with the vendors go to Dunn River Falls. I have never been there and never had a problem while on the Island.

We did the Swim with the sting rays and turtle farm while in Grand Cayman....sadly though the waves were too rough to swim with the rays so we missed that.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15