Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Default Limon, Costa Rica - shopping

Is there any shopping in the pier area? The DW is particularly interested in coffee?

Gracias

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Is there any shopping in the pier area? The DW is particularly interested in coffee?

Gracias
Right near the port gate (inside) they have vendor stalls with coffee & other handicrafts
Or you can walk a few blocks up & left to the supermarket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cruise 2008 369.jpg (93.7 KB, 3 views)
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Admiral

On the subject of coffee, we bought Blue Mountain in Jamaica at the shops by the pier... now either our taste buds have deteriorated with everything else, or it was not as good as we remember, or more likely this was not the best place to buy coffee!! Any thoughts??
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:51 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
On the subject of coffee, we bought Blue Mountain in Jamaica at the shops by the pier... now either our taste buds have deteriorated with everything else, or it was not as good as we remember, or more likely this was not the best place to buy coffee!! Any thoughts??
Same packages sold in other airports and cruise terminals and stores across the Caribbean
I'd say it was the length of time sitting on a warm shelf as coffee deteriorates over time in taste
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old January 19th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post

Gracias
It's no place I would care to shop. You'll see why.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Admiral

We were there in our cruise last month .We were warned to not leave the immediate area where the ship docked on our own . There were a lot of flea market type booths to buy things .We did see people leave the area but only a handful.
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Captain

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
We were there in our cruise last month .We were warned to not leave the immediate area where the ship docked on our own .
Why?
What did they warn you about
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Admiral

Being assaulted
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
Being assaulted
OK
Will watch for that next time
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Check out the US State Department web site .You can insert your e-mail address and get daily updates on crime in various cruise sites .
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Admiral

The primary things you can buy outside the port fence are: fast food fried chicken, lottery tickets, and hookers. Plenty of that. Throw in panhandlers, drunks, a few very poor souvenir stands, and a couple of seedy bars and you have it. Even the park is fenced off to keep people out. Be prepared!

And I like seedy bars.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.

Last edited by Snoozeman; January 20th, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old January 20th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Admiral

I was told by a ships officer that people are hired to pretend to be tourists to lure real tourists outside of the docking area .
Old January 20th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Captain

Exclamation

We walked up into town around 2-4 blocks to the shops no problem but you just need to be aware of your surroundings
We had GUIDES approach us just outside the gate but just told them no thank you & they did leave us alone

If you are uncomfortable in a port you should stay with the ship
We did not get off in Jamaica but lots of people love it there ...it is a personal choice
guess you will not be going to Mexico either
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:45 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
The primary things you can buy outside the port fence are: fast food fried chicken, lottery tickets, and hookers. Plenty of that. Throw in panhandlers, drunks, a few very poor souvenir stands, and a couple of seedy bars and you have it. Even the park is fenced off to keep people out. Be prepared!

And I like seedy bars.
Snoozeman
Even the parks are fenced off in middle of London UK but the gates are locked at night. Does that make London unsafe?
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Admiral

I do not judge. I haven't told anyone to go or not go. I haven't even said if it was good or bad. I'm just saying what to expect. Everyone can make their own decisions.

The fence is to keep the derelicts from sleeping in the park. You will see them on the streets of Limon. I have no idea if they are drunk or strung out on drugs, but they are there lying in the street.

What does London have to do with anything?

Future Cruises:
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:18 PM
First Mate

Default Cruiseline responsibility

Makes you wonder if the port is that unsafe why the cruiseline does not cancel the port
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
First Mate

fenced parks... makes sense to me to state London as another location that wants ot ensure you are safe if you walk in after hours

Last edited by robh; January 20th, 2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Admiral

The port has built a nice little shopping area within the 'port security fence' for the tourists. You can get coffee and crafts there. All the shuttles and tours meet inside as well. Very safe there. When you leave that secured area into the streets of Limon then you see what I described. We really enjoy our stay there. We have friends who own property there. It's a beautiful country. As to Limon, I'm just describing what I have witnessed.

Future Cruises:
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
The port has built a nice little shopping area within the 'port security fence' for the tourists. You can get coffee and crafts there. All the shuttles and tours meet inside as well. Very safe there. When you leave that secured area into the streets of Limon then you see what I described. We really enjoy our stay there. We have friends who own property there. It's a beautiful country. As to Limon, I'm just describing what I have witnessed.
Actually that description aplies to a lot of ports around the world where governments want to get more tourists and invest in the port area but of course cannot change the country overnight.
I can take you to cities in Canada and the States where the same situation applies especially after dark
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Welcome Newcomer

My husband and I are on the Carnival Freedom in October of this year and I am looking at a Shoping and Beach break excursion through Carnival and am wondering if anyone else had done this.

"The beach and a little shopping, what could be better! Come along with us on an excursion into the beauty and diversity of Costa Rica’s Puerto Viejo.

On this tour you will:

Travel by bus for an approximate 1 ˝ hour ride along a scenic coastline.
Visit the southernmost part of Costa Rica at Puerto Viejo -“Old Port”- a vibrant, multicultural piece of the country’s ecological and human history. Much English is spoken here. Awarded the “Blue Ecological Flag,” an exceptional award given to eco-friendly beaches by the government of Costa Rica, Puerto Viejo always strives to maintain a high-standard of excellence for you to appreciate.
Upon arrival, commence your day at the beach as you are greeted and given the opportunity to change into your swimsuit.
Then take a dip in the refreshing tropical waters, or just lazily bask on the sand.
The region of Puerto Viejo is very rich in bio-diversity, and while wildlife sightings can never be guaranteed they are not uncommon. You may see toucans, monkeys, or even sloth hanging from ancient trees, so have your camera ready!
Order a sandwich, some juice and tropical fruits, and refresh yourself before hitting the local shops in an authentic villa, just a short drive away, which still maintains the old Caribbean easygoing way of life.
Enjoy a brief shopping spree before you re-board your transport for the return trip to port. Be sure to pick up a souvenir or two to remind you of your relaxing day at the beach in the renowned Puerto Viejo.
Note: Please bring with you a swim suit, a towel, hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, strap-on sandals to walk in the beach, a camera to take beautiful pictures".

Any info is greatly appreciated.