CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   What to do in Aruba Curacao? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/382378-what-do-aruba-curacao.html)

showcat May 9th, 2011 04:02 AM

What to do in Aruba Curacao?

Any advice, things I should not miss? Also how is safety in these ports?

MercedMike May 9th, 2011 11:58 AM

Aruba and Curacao

In Aruba we loved the Butterfly Garden. The rest of the island was ho hum ... the "Natural Bridge" is not much.

In Curacao, I strongly recommend making arrangements for the Sea Lion Encounter at the Seaquarium! It was a kick. If you like you can also do the Swim With The Sea Lions.

We felt perfectly safe in both ports. Of course we stuck to the main tourist areas with our guide.

Check out our trip report and pictures at The Halls Southern Caribbean Cruise

Have a GREAT cruise!

LisaK May 9th, 2011 02:09 PM

both islands are quite safe. Aruba, hit the beach, unfortunately The Natural Bridge is no more. The Sea Aquarium in Curacaco is wonderful, there is a beach next door with some good snorkeling, nice shopping downtown

showcat May 9th, 2011 02:51 PM

Thanks for the info Mike and Lisa. I am interested in the Aquarium but their website is written in another language. So I emailed them and hope they can send me information about the sea lion swim. Mike I really enjoyed seeing your photos thanks for the link! In Aruba I'm debating if I should do an island tour or just plop myself on a beach.

green_rd May 9th, 2011 03:51 PM

The website is in Dutch - the native language of the island. You can click the little US flag http://www.curacao-sea-aquarium.com/en/images/eng.gif in the upper right corner to get English.
Curaçao Sea Aquarium

This is pretty common for international websites. Look for the Stars & Stripes of the Union Jack and you can find an English version of a website.

Skipper's Mom May 9th, 2011 07:48 PM

Plotz yourself on the beach via a local bus. The bus is available at the "bus station" behind the "main drag". Ask anyone for directions. $2.50 out and $2.50 back. Bring your towels, water, etc. We stayed at Eagle Beach that provided beach chairs, umbrellas, food truck. You can take the bus out and then have a return trip back to the city center.

showcat May 9th, 2011 11:12 PM

I heard Eagles beach does not have a bathroom is that true?

pperich June 26th, 2011 10:06 PM

Aruba Excursion

HI SHowcat,

We have been to Aruba a few of times both by cruise and by air. My favorite place to visit is the Natural Pool. The best way to get there is through a tour guide. The ride is very rough but fun and when you get there the pool is small but when the waves break around you it is a great feeling.

Peter P.

showcat June 27th, 2011 02:21 AM

Thanks this sounds nice will look into it!

Donna June 27th, 2011 08:37 AM

If you like to snorkel, I did a snorkeling excursion in Curacao once and it was really good, totally suprised me. Be sure to spend some time walking around town, natives are friendly and not pushy like they can be in some ports.

Lakers Fan June 27th, 2011 08:52 PM

The Natural Bridge

Quote:

Originally Posted by MercedMike (Post 1370185)
In Aruba we loved the Butterfly Garden. The rest of the island was ho hum ... the "Natural Bridge" is not much.

In Curacao, I strongly recommend making arrangements for the Sea Lion Encounter at the Seaquarium! It was a kick. If you like you can also do the Swim With The Sea Lions.

We felt perfectly safe in both ports. Of course we stuck to the main tourist areas with our guide.

Check out our trip report and pictures at The Halls Southern Caribbean Cruise

Have a GREAT cruise!

To say that it is not much is an understatement ,its not worth going to look at it .

Truck Cruiser June 29th, 2011 03:33 AM

Eagle Beach is the prettiest beach I have seen, plenty of room there too. Do be advised that there are no bathrooms on the beach. If u must "go" you will have to walk to a resort and ask if you can use their facilities, but don't count on them saying yes!

We have also done the Island tour in Aruba with the ship excursion but wish we would of just hired a cab for the tour, i am sure it would of been much cheaper that way. We did however enjoy the tour.

Curacao, we did the island tour which was nice, we split a cab with 4 other people and it cost us 40 dollars. Make sure you check out the fish market, very unusual how the Venezuela fishermen sell fish there.

Ron June 29th, 2011 11:29 PM

The Natural Bridge on Aruba collapsed into the sea several years ago. It was worth seeing and almost everyone wanted to walk across it or at least get on it for a photo.
The one now is nothing compared to the original one that fell into the sea, hopefully with no one aboard it when it collapsed. ;)

Kuki June 30th, 2011 01:55 AM

We've done an ATV tour in Aruba that we really enjoyed. Then the area near the "hotel row" section of the island had a choice of several nice beaches.

I don't remember the name of the hotel on the main drag (but you can pick it out easily, as boats head out from there to a resort island just off the coast (sorry don't recall the name). It's been awhile since we were there, but you can buy a pass to spend the day on the "island".