Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Captain

Smile Carribbean?

My wife and I are planning a cruise for next year we are thinking about a Cribbean cruise,I was just wondering do you like the easterly course or the south or west route better we are leaning towards the westerly route.But seeimg how we have never been there I thought I would get some suggestions.Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

How about sail from Miami on an easterly then turn south stop over sail west into the Caribbean sea take a little more southerly then turn easterly before turning North to get back to Miami

Sorry I just had to say it
Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Question West or East or South, oh my ...

The Caribbean is a wonderful place. There are so many options. Not just East or West or South but what particular islands, private island or not, and so on.

Absolutely the best advice I can give you is find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate.

We have cruised the Caribbean a lot and many of our trip reports are posted at Cruising with the Halls. Maybe that will give you some ideas.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old July 3rd, 2011, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Well... first pick the cruise line that you like the look of, then look at which ships are going where, then it will be a compromise between the ship & itinery. I don't think it makes much difference unless there is somewhere specific you want to see, but that is bound to be the island you miss because of bad weather!!
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

My favorite is a Southern route, but that requires flying into San Juan, its a long flight and more expensive than cruising out of a Florida port. Aside from that, once on the cruise, its almost a port a day, I love it! You get to see more islands and less sea days, but you will have one or two sea days.

My next choice would be an Eastern, just like the ports better and I've been on more Westerns than anything, getting tired of that.

Like a previous posters wrote, check out some basic information on ports and see what ones interest you more. Do you like more shopping areas while cruising or more water type sports?

Please, let us know what ship and itinary you decide on...have fun.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 3rd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

I like to fly to Barbados then take a relaxed cruise south

Perhaps our old friend, Aplmac could post a few pictures as my windows live is down
Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
Admiral

I would like to Fly to BDS stay for a time then cruise home via a few islands, easy enough done.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

While the southern is my fave, to get around the high fares to San Juan, you can take a longer cruise from Florida, which will get you to the southern ports, with some eastern ports on the itinerary as well.

Some stops on the southern which are rare to see now are Martinique,and Caracas, and Guadaloupe..all Islands I thoroughly enjoyed.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; July 3rd, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I would like to Fly to BDS stay for a time then cruise home via a few islands, easy enough done.
You should have come home on the Azura with Richard we were following each other first the IOS then on to Azura next will be Crown Princess for the fall unless something comes up before hand
Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Well it's a plan for the future, wife very anti flying BUT our flights in the winter went well so maybe.
Funny place the Caribbean, some love it, others don't, usually because of unrealistic expectations.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Well it's a plan for the future, wife very anti flying BUT our flights in the winter went well so maybe.
Funny place the Caribbean, some love it, others don't, usually because of unrealistic expectations.
Yep, pay bottom price and expect top dollar, when will they learn they are not James Bond
Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
Admiral

Well I spent quite a bit of time on a Barbados forum TRYING to help, trying to explain that it isn't Bora Bora & Sandy lane charges a lot more than a South Coast Guest houe for a very good reason!!
Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ahhhh, Sandy Lane, now that's the be all and end all on Barbados..Wish I had visited, the one time I was there...Everything I have seen on tv, shows it to be fabulous!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:13 PM
Admiral

Yeah...but if someone asks me which is the best hotel on the Island I would ask what they wanted & expected, try to guage if they would be comfortable in a hotel where they "dress for breakfast" not all suit that sort of place...me included! Too many people recommend hotels because THEY like them, not what the person needs.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:38 PM
Captain

Smile

Carnival has a westrly that sails out of New Orleans thats the cruise we are in favor of sounds like fun to spend a day or 2 in New orleans
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Default Flying into San Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
My favorite is a Southern route, but that requires flying into San Juan, its a long flight and more expensive than cruising out of a Florida port. Aside from that, once on the cruise, its almost a port a day, I love it! You get to see more islands and less sea days, but you will have one or two sea days.

My next choice would be an Eastern, just like the ports better and I've been on more Westerns than anything, getting tired of that.

Like a previous posters wrote, check out some basic information on ports and see what ones interest you more. Do you like more shopping areas while cruising or more water type sports?

Please, let us know what ship and itinary you decide on...have fun.
We did a cruise that began in San Juan .It was great . We went to Barbados ,St.Thomas ,St.Maarten , Domininica ,Martinique and back to San Juan . It was a wonderful cruise .
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
Carnival has a westrly that sails out of New Orleans thats the cruise we are in favor of sounds like fun to spend a day or 2 in New orleans

Then that is the one you should do now. You can do the Eastern and Southern routes another time. Go, have fun.
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
If this is the cruise that makes you go hmmm i think we would like to do that, then go for it.