Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default San Juan port?

Hello to anyone who can help!

I am considering taking a NCL cruise to San Juan, Puerto Rico, as a family reunion. There will be one set of grandparents, two sets of moms and dads, a seven month old, and a nine month old. We really want to go to the San Juan National Historical Site, which we know is not an excursion. I am wondering if anyone has been there any has any idea how far the National site is from the cruise port. Would it be possible to walk there? If not, do you have any ideas of how we could get there with babies? Thanks so much for your opinions and help!
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Welcome Newcomer

yeeessss everything is in the same area.... go here and at the end of the page you can see El Morro and how close is to the port...enjoy ur visit
San Juan National Historic Site - Directions (U.S. National Park Service)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Just be aware that many streets in San Juan are cobblestone,and walking can be difficult for some, and, pushing a carriage as well. Enjoy San Juan, I love this city!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I truly is a lovely city to walk around in, but like Trip said, the sidewalks are cobblestone and narrow, with lots of car traffic...It can be done, some well planning is the key. They also have a trolley that goes around town, may-be fine out what the actual schedule is and where it goes.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 14th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to sgtmomret

oh please...don't take your babies..use the childcare on the ship and let the wives enjoy themselfs too! Yes you can walk to the sites; theres two or the green trolly bus is free and you can jump on or off at selected stops...no tipping! Once at the fort there are lots of steps and hills...this is why you should leave the wee ones as you'll be tired. Plus the sidewalks are very narrow and in some places single lane and the traffic is nuts. San Juan is just beautiful so enjoy.
Old October 15th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Admiral

Exclamation Old San Juan

Well, Old San Juan and El Morro is a very nice walk -- IF you are healthy and fit and used to walking and unencumbered. For your group, it would be a night mare, rough streets and sidewalks and many hills.

I sincerely recommend that you get a local guide with a minivan for your group. We have had good success with Tours by Locals San Juan Tours with local private guides.
They can design a tour just for you, the fort only or more comprehensive. You will be so much better off. Be sure to let them know you need two child seats.

I suppose you have made a firm decision to do this with the two infants. Honestly, I don't recommend it. Taking infants on a cruise ship is a huge hassle and is really going to cut your fun. They will NOT be eligible for the children's program. In some instances it is possible to arrange baby sitting but it can be very difficult. Frankly on board and ashore you are going to spend more time taking care of the children than enjoying your vacation. But -- if you have decided to do it, then you need to plan to make it as easy as possible. In many ports this means an independent guide and van.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html