Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default What to do in St. John Antigua?

Is there anything to do in St. John besides sitting on the beach? Has anyone done anything alternative, like horseback riding?
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Admiral

St. John is the Capital...think large village, there is a duty free area just where the ship docks..same as same as...Antigua has beautiful beaches, Nelsons Dockyard is interesting for a couple of hours, the view from Shirley Heights to good for a short stop, not much else to see really soI would say do a few sites in the morning then the beach in the afternoon, maybe a hotel pass at somewhere like Jolly Beach?
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Default Antigua

[QUOTE=Golden1;1390772]Is there anything to do in St. John besides sitting on the beach? Has anyone done anything alternative, like horseback riding?[/QUOTE

I will be there on my next cruise .Horseback riding is not my thing .Perhaps if humans had to transport a legged animals for sport they would understand this better .
Old September 4th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
St. John is the Capital...think large village, there is a duty free area just where the ship docks..same as same as...Antigua has beautiful beaches, Nelsons Dockyard is interesting for a couple of hours, the view from Shirley Heights to good for a short stop, not much else to see really soI would say do a few sites in the morning then the beach in the afternoon, maybe a hotel pass at somewhere like Jolly Beach?
How would I find out how much it would cost to have a taxi show me around and then go to the beach? The ships have these types of tours, but they cost a fortune just to take you to the beach. On one shopping tour, they dont even pick you up from the port. You have to take a water taxi and "meet them at the meeting destination for the day." Thanks.
Old September 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Docking at the port is usual in Antigua, there are plenty of taxis right there, you will find it harder NOT to get one. There is a supervisor who oversees it all. I don't recall the taxis being that expensive & as for a "meeting place" don't see this at all, we have done Catamaran tours that pick you up at the pier & as I said the taxis are right there too. We just treat Antigua as a beach stop now.