CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Rental cars in Costa Maya? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/386412-rental-cars-costa-maya.html)

GldnGrl December 7th, 2011 02:49 PM

Rental cars in Costa Maya?

Does anyone know where I can rent a Jeep or something in Costa Maya? We'd like to explore the ruins and/or coast on our own. Thanks in advance!

fun2cruiz December 7th, 2011 04:36 PM

Costa Maya is a cruise ship port.... not many locals living there.... take a guided tour, rent a golf cart or use their taxis for a nominal fee..... island is too small to rent a car.

Snoozeman December 7th, 2011 05:24 PM

Not really a port to rent a car.....coastal highways are pretty cut up down there. It may not be offered either.

You can get a golf cart and go to Mahuaual, but taxi or bus is easier.

GldnGrl December 7th, 2011 08:30 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Chacchoben (for example) is an hour from the port ... I can't imagine that long (probably longer) in a golf cart, and I assume that a taxi might get be pricey at that distance. Not to mention ... there is 4 of us, so we'd all have to fit comfortably. :(

fun2cruiz December 7th, 2011 09:30 PM

Based on my research it is 45 minutes..... why not just do an excursion from the port and avoid the hassle and worry of getting to Mahahual to pick up vehicle, insurance, refueling, etc.... ? This is just not the port to do this in, but let us know if you accomplish the task and if it was worth it !

Snoozeman December 7th, 2011 09:58 PM

People that go to Chacchoben usual just go on a local tour. It's very simple to book it yourself. I've never heard of anyone renting a car to do it, but that doesn't mean it can't be done if you can find someone to rent you a car. Good luck.

Ron December 8th, 2011 01:48 AM

Costa Maya is on the mainland of Mexico--not an island as someone erroneously pointed out--you can drive for hours and hours-- however without knowing where your going and how far you want to go to get to the different ruins, etc.I would not risk getting too far off base and miss the ship-- I would take a tour here if you're wanting to get out away from the port and see some Mayan sites. Although they do have a couple of well paved and well marked roads, once you get a couple of miles or so away from the port area you get into some pretty lonely countryside--as I said, unless you know exactly where you're going, the time there and back, etc, I would take a tour rather than a chance.
But, That's up to you. Have a good day whichever you choose. :)

Donna December 8th, 2011 10:07 AM

I totally agree Ron, when in a forein country, let a local drive you, especially when you have a ship to catch, too many factors to consider.

GldnGrl December 8th, 2011 02:58 PM

Thanks everyone for your input!

I did find this web-site: Transports
but have yet to receive a reply to the message that I left.

We just really don't want to spend $50/person for a tour, and I thought I read somewhere that you could rent a Jeep in Costa Maya for $65/day.

thoredius November 11th, 2012 09:13 PM

So, what happened?

What did you end up doing, cause I have the same idea.