CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Grenada Spices? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/387667-grenada-spices.html)

Golden1 February 13th, 2012 05:14 PM

Grenada Spices?

Someone mentioned Vanilla (in another thread) that many people buy when they cruise to Mexico. Does anyone know if you can buy the real vanilla in Grenada?

Trip February 13th, 2012 05:25 PM

While nutmeg is quite popular to bring back from this beautiful port, you can buy vanilla essence . I'm not sure if there is a major difference between this, and, the mexican vanilla I spoke of..

We did a tour that brought us up the mountains to a nutmeg factory,and the gorgeous Grand Anse Beach. I wish we had been there on a Saturday to visit the market in town, I would have loved it...I am sure the vanilla is sold there.

johnthed0g February 13th, 2012 06:17 PM

I think you can buy most spices in Grenada, not only at the market but at places in the town. Trouble is that the new cruise berth is not convenient for the town, we used to tender in to the actual harbour & wander about.

Trip February 13th, 2012 06:31 PM

Did they not build a pier near St Geoge's Harbor? I thought it was gorgeous.

LisaK February 14th, 2012 11:42 AM

I don't know about the vanilla, we bought, nutmeg, saffron, and cinnamon directly from the plantations

Donna February 14th, 2012 06:55 PM

I have heard this is the island to pick up spices...JUst wondering if there is one that is really worth picking up here?

LisaK February 17th, 2012 11:26 AM

Donna, Grenada is known for its nutmeg, but if you know how to use saffron, that would be the spice to get, saffron is very expensive in the us

Donna February 17th, 2012 07:27 PM

Oh Lisa,
I know, the tiny bottle of Saffron in our stores are over $20....YIKES. I have no idea what you would use Saffron for...

Golden1 February 17th, 2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1416001)
Oh Lisa,
I know, the tiny bottle of Saffron in our stores are over $20....YIKES. I have no idea what you would use Saffron for...

Besides rice, what else would you use safron with?

I had french toast with the Mexican vanilla and it was the BEST I have ever had!! I believe it was because of the vanilla. I will have to check it out while in Grenada. I love to cook!

KDGodwin February 18th, 2012 05:35 AM

Saffron is in a lot of Indian and Persian food (which I love), but it is great in chicken dishes, seafood dishes, soups, etc. If you google it, there are tons of recipes you can try it in! :)

anniegb February 18th, 2012 12:47 PM

Oh goodie - I will be in Grenada and I cook a lot of Indian food - saffron is now on my list.

Annie

LisaK February 23rd, 2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden1 (Post 1416020)
Besides rice, what else would you use safron with?

I had french toast with the Mexican vanilla and it was the BEST I have ever had!! I believe it was because of the vanilla. I will have to check it out while in Grenada. I love to cook!

YUM! that is so good, nothing in the US even comes close to the taste of the vanilla i have gotten on the islands