Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Panama Canal Help -- Please !!

DH & I will be celebrating our 40th Anniversary next February... We are planning on Panama Cruise... I don't see any info about these cruises. Need info... Should we do a one way or leave out of California and get off in Florida... Please someone help...
Coral Princess 9-18-06 (Alaska)
Carnival Fantasy 02-04-2008, Caribbean
RC - Grandeur of the Seas 8-2010-Caribbean
Ruby Princess 2-3-2013 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess - 9-21-2013 - New England
RC - Serenade of the Seas 4-2014 - Bahamas
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungirl View Post
DH & I will be celebrating our 40th Anniversary next February... We are planning on Panama Cruise... I don't see any info about these cruises. Need info... Should we do a one way or leave out of California and get off in Florida... Please someone help...
I strongly suggest that you do a full transit. The partial transit, while interesting, does not give you the full experience. On the partial transit you go through the Gatun Locks, anchor in Gatun Lake, get off for excursions and then meet the ship back at the dock in Colon.

The full transit will let you see the entire canal and it is a much more interesting and relaxing way to experience the canal.

If you do a partial transit I suggest doing the Ocean to Ocean excursion via boat and not doing the train. If you like trains it's OK but you basically are transported at 70 mph from one end of the canal to the other with a bus trip back. The boat excursion is more interesting and allows you to see the entire canal.

A Panama Canal cruise is one of the "must do" cruises for cruisers and I know you'll enjoy it and congratulations on your 40th Anniversary.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 5th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Admiral

We went from Ft.Lauderdale and back and had a great cruise ,however ,I would agree with Mike M.
Old April 5th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also agree with Mike M. "On the partial transit you go through the Gatun Locks, anchor in Gatun Lake, get off for excursions and then meet the ship back at the dock in Colon."

Exactly right, which is about 10% of the whole Canal. If at all possible, make sure you see the other 90%.
05/89 NCL, Seaward, 1990 Carnival, Topicale, 1991 Carnival, Festivale, 11/93 Wind Star, Wind Song, 01/95 Celebrity, Horizon, 01/96 Celebrity, Century, 01/00 Celebrity, Zenith, 01/01 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/02 Princess, Ocean Princess, 01/03 Celebrity, Summit, 05/04 Princess, Diamond, 01/05 Celebrity, Galaxy, 01/07 Oceania, Regatta, 01/08 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 02/09 RCCL, Voyager of the Seas, 01/10 Celebrity, Solstice
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Default Panama Canal

The Panama Canal cruises are sort of a special category. There are many different options, the main one being Full Transit vs. Partial Transit as noted above.

With so many things to consider, the very best advice I can give you is find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate.

Many of us on this board have done one or the other, but few have experience of all the different options. That is why a good Travel Agent to combine all the different choices works well.

Our particular Panama Canal cruise was wonderful. You can see our review at Zenith Review

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks so much Mike -- full transit it shall be....
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedMike View Post
The Panama Canal cruises are sort of a special category. There are many different options, the main one being Full Transit vs. Partial Transit as noted above.

With so many things to consider, the very best advice I can give you is find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate.

Many of us on this board have done one or the other, but few have experience of all the different options. That is why a good Travel Agent to combine all the different choices works well.

Our particular Panama Canal cruise was wonderful. You can see our review at Zenith Review

Thanks to you also Mike --- I will definately find a good travel agent..... Loved your review...
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default February?

I agree, full transit is the way to go as everyone suggests.

With your anniversary in February, that time of year may not be an option. You have to remember most of these cruises are repositions from Alaska to the Caribbean or vise versa. Therefore you will have to go in late winter/spring or late summer/fall. Other times are pretty rare and not done routinely, since it cost the ships plenty for traversing the canal.

O F C'er
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Oops Sorry,
I spoke to soon. I looked up cruises thru the Panama canal to see what would be the closest dates to February and I found 2 Princess cruises going thru the Canal in February.

O F c'er