CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Caribbean & Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/)
-   -   Which ports are inexpensive /expensive (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/caribbean-panama-canal/395313-ports-inexpensive-expensive.html)

LikeToCruiseAgain March 28th, 2013 01:42 AM

Which ports are inexpensive /expensive

On a typical cruise the cruise ships sell excursions the total price for all the days can be more then the cruise itself.

But some ports have swimable beaches or snorkeling etc which are either walking distance or easily accessible by an inexpensive local bus, while other ports it is near impossible to do anything without paying for an expensive excursion.

From your experience which ports in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, or South America did you find one could go to a beach, snorkeling etc without having to pay for an excursion and which ports is it necessary to pay for an excursion?

storybookcruises.com March 28th, 2013 02:02 AM

We almost never pay for excursions, preferring instead to do our own thing. Almost all the ports in the Caribbean have wonderful beaches and are easy & cheap to get to.

So whether it's cheap or expensive is a relative term to what you want to do and how you want to do it. Often times just a short taxi ride will get you what you're looking for without the high cost of an excursion. Besides, as you alluded to, most excursions are too expensive, too short, too regimented, and too crowded.

One of our favorite beaches is in St. Maarten. We just rent a car for about $45 for the day and do our own thing. Sure beats the high price for an excursion to the same beach.

Pete

Donna March 28th, 2013 04:59 AM

Some ports are very easy to navigate by yourself if you know where you are going, and depending on time, etc. What ports are you going to visit?

Trip March 28th, 2013 10:45 AM

I would say that a very large percentage of seasoned crusiers do not buy ships's excursions. It's very easy in most of the areas you mention, to just walk off the ship and get a better deal. When we went to Caracas years ago, it was suggested we only go with the ship,and we followed the suggestion.

LikeToCruiseAgain March 29th, 2013 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1468633)
Some ports are very easy to navigate by yourself if you know where you are going, and depending on time, etc. What ports are you going to visit?

I havent decided where I will be going except it will be somewhere warm near beaches. If the ports are going to require paid excursions to do anything that cost will have to be considered with the price of the cruise

I should clarify, my idea of inexpensive is free with a free beach/snorkling walking distance (withing a few blocks) from the port or maybe an inexpensive local bus to get to a free beach/snorkling etc. While these might not be the prettiest beaches, they are decent beaches. I dont consider a $45.00 car rental as an inexpensive trip.

On several occasions I have walked to free beaches/ snorkling and seen passengers from the same ship there on a ship's excursion for which they each paid $30.00-$35.00. I am referring to free beaches/snorkling within a few blocks from the port. Cruise ships are charging this and getting this.

However at some ports one really needs to take pay for an excursion be it the ships or one from the port or at least an expensive taxi to get anywhere.

So thats why Im trying to find out which ports in the Caribbean, Mexico, South America, or Central America are inexpensive and which are expensive.

Kamloops Cruiser March 29th, 2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LikeToCruiseAgain (Post 1468626)
On a typical cruise the cruise ships sell excursions the total price for all the days can be more then the cruise itself.

But some ports have swimable beaches or snorkeling etc which are either walking distance or easily accessible by an inexpensive local bus, while other ports it is near impossible to do anything without paying for an expensive excursion.

From your experience which ports in the Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, or South America did you find one could go to a beach, snorkeling etc without having to pay for an excursion and which ports is it necessary to pay for an excursion?

I most ports you'll have to pay to get to the beach . If your a first or novice cruiser I would probably use ship excursions. If you are confident there are a number of private companies that have the same excursions for less. Check the Meet on Board forums for your specific cruise , someone might have a private group forming a excursion.

LikeToCruiseAgain April 1st, 2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamloops Cruiser (Post 1468751)
I most ports you'll have to pay to get to the beach . If your a first or novice cruiser I would probably use ship excursions. If you are confident there are a number of private companies that have the same excursions for less. Check the Meet on Board forums for your specific cruise , someone might have a private group forming a excursion.

I have never paid for the beach. Many ports have free beaches, some by law the country requires it and others seem to make their money by selling food, drinks, snorkeling gear etc though these purchases are not required. One time I had to pay for a taxi to get to the beach which is what I am trying to avoid and one time I paid for an excursion but many ports have beaches either walking distance or an inexpensive local bus ride. So what Im trying to figure out is which ports specifically have this and which ports do not.