Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Caribbean & Panama Canal
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Allure of the Seas--Western Caribbean Questions

My wife and I are going on the Allure of the Seas on May 19th for our honeymoon... its a Western Caribbean cruise. It's my wifes first and my first one in 15 years.

I've never cruised the Caribbean before. Our stops are in Labadee Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica, and Cozumel Mexico. I was wondering how far away are the beaches there from where the ship actually docks?

Also, does anyone have any advice for someone who is a first time cruiser on Allure of the Seas?

Also, how are the seas in the caribbean in May? We were thinking of getting stuff to help with sea sickness but I have also read that on these larger ships if you do hit rough seas you will barely feel it.

Thanks a lot!!!

Last edited by drs723; May 6th, 2013 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You will have a wonderful beach stop at Labadee, although, it is a short tender ride from the ship. They will serve a BBQ lunch on the beach in a few places...

Each evening, read through your daily paper for times and the schedule of events for the next day. May be a good idea to pre-book some shows, they are all pretty much amazing. Catch a parade or two as well during the week and don't forget to catch a water show, they too are worth seeing.

Have a ball.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:02 AM
First Mate

Default Labadee

Hi Donna,
Long time you've been to Labadee.There is a pier since 4 years now.No tender on the Western cruise.
Have a nice day

MTL
Old May 6th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Familiar Face

Seasickness - These ships are huge and have stabilizers. I get incredibly seasick on small boats, IMAX theaters, carnival rides, winding roads, etc. but I do not get sick on these cruise ships. If you are worried, I suggest booking your cabin low center of the ship where there is the least movement. If you want to take something, take Bonine, but take it before you get on and remember, you should not drink with seasickness medication.
Old May 6th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Admiral

I wasn't sure if the new pier was actually finished, glad to hear it is....No tender, how nice.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Welcome Newcomer

How far away is the beach from where you dock? Is it right there or do you need to get in a cab to get there? Sorry if it's a stupid question but again this is my first time in the caribbean.
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Admiral

Hi Drs,
There is no silly questions here...There is a beach right when you cross the pier, but you can also walk across the way and find another beach. Labadee is a private beach just for Royal Caribbean. They will have staff there and you can purchase drinks with your sign/sail card right on the beach.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Welcome Newcomer

So if I have the drink package I can just use my sea pass card and I won't get charged extra?

What about the ports of Falmouth Jamaica and Cozumel? How far are the beaches there from the port?

Also... when you get the drink package... can you is it everywhere on the ship including restaurants? What about all the nightclubs?

Does anyone have any other information we should know about the Allure? We are so excited!!!

Thank you for all your help Donna, Moonlight Reader and MTL... it's greatly appreciated.

Last edited by drs723; May 7th, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old May 7th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Familiar Face

I cannot respond regarding Jamaica because I haven't been there in a decade, but I just got back from a trip to Cozumel, plus I am a diver, so this is my fourth trip to the island.

Cozumel is mostly iron shore ship side. If you want to enjoy beaches, you will likely have to take a taxi to the beach. I am sure there are some shore excursions that will take you to the hotels with the white sand beaches or you could go to Chankunaab park, which has a private beach, dolphins, manatee, bars and rents snorkeling gear. It isn't cheap (entrance is a bit over $20 per person) but the sand is great, the equipment was up to par and they have nice shaded seats on the beach, no extra charge.
Old May 7th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for your response. I appreciate all the helpful information.

Can anyone else answer my other questions?

It would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 7th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Admiral

Hi Drs,
I would suggest doing the Dunns River Falls in Jamaica, but I would book it through the cruise line and play it safe there. There is a bit of beach at the beginning of the walk up the falls. In Cozumel, there is Chanakaab Park, a short taxi ride from the pier, huge beach, snorkeling, restaurant, swimming, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Does it cost anything to enter Chanakaab Park if so how much? And how far/much for the taxi ride?
Old May 8th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Familiar Face

Chankunaab park costs a little over $20 per person (more if you rent snorkel gear, which you can do as part of he entrance ticket, they had a special that included a t-shirt, a beer, entrance, and snorkeling gear, which is what we got, I think we paid something like $28 per person).

The taxi takes about 10 minutes to get there. I can't remember the cost, but it wasn't extortionate.

The sand is blonde. There is a pool with swim up bar. They have a dolphin area and a sea lion show. You can watch the sea lion show and do a tour of the dolphin area for free with admission. There are chairs with shade and chairs in the sun and an area to shower the salt off after swimming or snorkeling. There are a couple of bars and there is no smoking in the park.

I used to go semi-regularly to Cozumel to dive, so March was my first actual visit to the park because I was on a cruise with my sister who does not dive. It was quite nice.
Old May 8th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

wow... that sounds awesome.... thanks so much!