Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 19th, 2000, 10:02 PM
Voyagerfl

Default Calica, is the Port really that ugly ???

Soooo, I hear there is not much to see at the acutal Port of Calica ?
We are going there on the Imagination on Oct. 2nd.....
I'v talked 20 friends and family into this cruise and just want it nice for them...
I know that the port is suppossed to be great for access to, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, Xecaret, etc....
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2000, 12:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default RE: Calica, is the Port really that ugly ???

The actual port of Calica is basically a rock quarry. Nothing there at all, but 5 minutes from there to XCaret.

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old August 22nd, 2000, 12:04 PM
shortstuf

Xcaret is FANTASTIC and well worth the stop at Calica! Don't Miss the 2 mile underwater river swim, the snorkelling in the various coves, the restaurants and shows as well as the butterfly garden. The coves are beauties adn worth it to just sit on the lounge chairs provided. Highly recommend it!
Old August 22nd, 2000, 10:03 PM
Tim Rubacky

It's certainly far from picturesque. As you can see, I'm REALLY happy to be in Calica <grin>

But as it's a gateway for Tulum, Xel-Ha and Xcaret, those are great sites, not to be missed.

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor

Old August 24th, 2000, 07:05 PM
Admiral

The port of Calica is nothing much to speak of, but we love Xcaret and it is only a short taxi ride from the port. I'm sure you will find something for everyone to do there if you choose to go there. The underground river is pretty cool as is the lagoon. We also swam with the Dolphins there, but if you are going to do that either book prior to cruise or get there very early as this sells out real fast.
Have fun!
Gaile
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Familiar Face

Visually you expect to see Fred Flintstone moving rocks with his dinosaur. But location wise it is 7 minutes to Xcaret which was awesome.
Carnival Destiny 25Oct08 rm1120
Carnival Legend 30Sept07 rm6232 Great Balcony
Carnival Valor 10Sept06 rm1011
Carnival Holiday 08May06 rmE47
Commodore Enchanted Isle 09Sept98 rm465
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Calica would be a drag for someone who doesn't want to take the time to plan an excursion. I have to say though its was one of my favorite stops out of our four cruises. We went to Puerto Aventuras Omni Resort and were spoiled by their staff and snorkelled their beautiful beach. This is one of a few places I really felt like I was on vacation. I's go back there again anytime. They also have a dolphin encounter there, and lots of very nice shops. No one bothers you asking you to get your hair braided or try's to sell you anything as the area is gated.
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Passenger

Just got back last week from Imagination. Port of Calica is as ugly as they say, but book an excursion or take a taxi as everyone before me has said. There is a lot not to be missed.
One little tip I would give.....once we ported and were told we could leave the ship the lines were horrendous!!!!! Everyone got of the ship at the same time and there were not enough taxis to handle the number of people. We ended up going beck to the ship, laying out for an hour then headed out again. Just be prepared to wait in a long line for a taxi if you do not book an excursion. We atyed in line for about 20 minutes when we gave up......I figure we still had another 20 minutes to wait had we stayed in line.
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to cana57

I echo what Madismom said and I had been talking to her before we cruised. Before I go any further, Madismom knows I won't go on another cruise without walkie talkies or prearranging at least one meeting. We couldn't get together at all!

Now as for Calica - although a rock quarry, the water is incredibly clear and it shocked me that the area we docked in was even deep enough to handle the ship but it was. From Calica you can take a taxi to Playa Del Carmen, a typical touristy area but with a beautiful beach that I didn't know was there. As our excursion we went to the Omni Puerto Aventuras which was great. For $25 we got a beautiful and I mean beautiful beach, lunch and drink (take a beach towel with you). The Omni has a swim up jacuzzi bar that's got to be 80 degrees. A wading pool and an adult pool. Take your snorkel gear because if you're with a friend, you can go beyond your comfort zone and snorkel. There is also a marina in Puerto Aventuras so if you look hard enough, you could probably take a boat ride to go fishing! My friend I was with was not a strong swimmer and I didn't want to go out too far without a swimming companion. What I did miss was not getting to see everything Puerto Aventuras had to offer since my friend(s) wanted to go back to Playa Del Carmen for souvenirs and Carlos and Charlies and Senor Frogs. Heads up- they misread the costs at Senor Frogs for a drink - it was LESS than they thought it was! XCaret got rave reviews from people who went there. Tulum the same for the people who like that kind of thing. For others, this area is the strip where there are many all inclusive resorts on your way to Cancun, i.e Moon Palace, Mayan Palace, etc. etc. If there are any hunters reading this, there were some beautiful hand tooled leather gun cases - gringo style! If my husband had been with me, I'm sure we would have come home with one.

Carnival Imagination 5/4/06
Carnival Fantasy 9/30/06
Carnival Inspiration 5/3/07
Carnival Triumph 10/13/07
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, Calica is that ugly. There is no place for a cruise ship to dock at Playa del Carmen, but that is the main visitor's area - thus the itinerary says Calica/Playa del Carmen.

Cabs into PdC are $10 per cab, not per person. In PdC, there is a lot of shopping, a nice public beach, and some great restaurants on Avenue 5.

This is not my favorite port, and I stayed on the ship last time we docked there. I've done all the MX ruins I care for, and the shopkeepers are very persistent.

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 07:30 PM
Passenger

Default Calica

Here is some great info on Playa Del Carmen and the area we have vacationed there and loved it!!! There are some great jungle tours and beach horsebackriding, snorkeling tours too and Tulum Mayan Ruins. Calica isn't that great but the location is awesome and so are the tour opportunities!
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:12 PM
Admiral

HAHAHA...yes boulders,rocks,and trucks hauling rocks, and CRAZY!!! van drivers trying to get around these trucks