Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2000, 05:00 PM
Passenger

Default Carnival's SPIRIT class ships...

...Hiya fellow CCL enthusiasts! It appears that Carnival really thinks the SPIRIT class ships are going to catch on! Here's a press release that Carnival just released:
MIAMI, Aug. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL) today announced that it contracted with Finland's Kvaerner Masa-Yards for the construction of a new 86,000-ton cruise ship for its Carnival Cruise Lines unit. The 2,124-passenger vessel, the fourth in Carnival's "Spirit-class," will cost approximately $375 million and is expected to enter service in spring 2004.

To be named Carnival Miracle, the new vessel will join sister ships Carnival Spirit, set to debut April 29, 2001, and Carnival Pride and Carnival Legend, which are expected to be delivered late 2001 and summer 2002, respectively, to build upon the company's leadership position in the cruise industry. "With its exciting array of on-board features, Carnival's 'Spirit- class' will usher in a new era in 'Fun Ship' vacations, and we are pleased to be working with Kvaerner Masa to add a fourth vessel to this innovative series," said Bob Dickinson, Carnival Cruise Lines' president.

Like its sister ships, the Carnival Miracle will encompass 12 passenger decks housing a variety of bars, lounges and dining areas, including a two- deck-high main restaurant, a supper club bordering the vessel's massive funnel and a poolside eatery offering casual alternatives for breakfast, lunch and dinner and a 24-hour pizzeria.

The 960-foot-long ship will also feature a spectacular wrap-around outdoor promenade, an enclosed 2,400-square-foot children's play area, a wedding chapel, a large conference center and an expansive "Nautica Spa" health and fitness facility. Eighty percent of the vessel's staterooms will offer an ocean view with 80 percent of those including private verandahs. Several levels of deluxe accommodations will be offered, as well. ...end...
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2000, 07:09 PM
Tim Rubacky

Default RE: Carnival's SPIRIT class ships...

I love the design and layout of these new ships; IMO, they take "Today's Carnival" to the next level. So spacious and so many balconies.

But these names...MIRACLE??? UGH!!

Tim Rubacky
Consumer Affairs Editor
Old August 23rd, 2000, 07:47 PM
Passenger

..I agree, Tim. From the Carnival Spirit brochure, the layout of the ship looks extremely interesting! The placement of the two-tiered "Nouveau Supper Club" directly under the skylight of the atrium looks exciting, though I'm "still on the fence" about the "nominal-fee" charge for use of this restaurant.
...I also thought the name "Miracle" was a little strange, but who am I to argue. They have a great product, and it seems to just keep getting better and better!
...Calm Seas and a Gentle Breeze...Doug
Old August 24th, 2000, 05:47 AM
voyagerfl

Nominal Fee ????????
God I hate this trend...........It will be the end of cruising as we have known and loved it........A way to sneak in extra charges that won't be noticed when booking the cruise.......but wait till you get home and see how much you have spent.

I just have the feeling it will mean the class of service we now know and love will become something we have to pay extra for.............unless we want to limit ourselves to "All you can Swallow" Buffet's..............
Old August 24th, 2000, 08:52 AM
alesia6

Maybe it is a miricle if it doesn't break down, or catch fire.
Old August 24th, 2000, 05:05 PM
Passenger

Really don't like it? I think it's a great idea! Almost every ship offers some sort of "alternative" dining. Carnival is now going to offering another dining option besides the formal Dining Room and the "rear of the ship" restaurants. I think it's worth a few extra dollars to have the opportunity to have dinner in a Supper Club atmosphere. Imagine having dinner in a nicely furnished, glass enclosed room at the base of the huge funnel. Just another option to choose from.
...Smooth Seas and a Gentle Breeze ...Doug
Old August 27th, 2000, 12:14 PM
Mary Ellen Malone

Does anyone know whether or not the new Spirit class will have any extras like the Voyager does, such as ice skating rink or the like, thought I read somewhere they were thinking about a bowling alley. Has anyone else heard or read this