Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 31st, 2000, 03:10 AM
Sunbear

Default Tulum or not to Tulum?

Hey everyone. I am going on Sensation on September 24th and have decided to go to see the ruins at Tulum. Has anyone gone and which way did you go with the cruise tour or by yourself? I would like any advise or information. I really would like to know if you did go whether you enjoyed it or not. The price seems to be about $70 for Carnivals planned tour, I just want to make sure I will get my money's worth. I have been to other ruins in Yucatan and my boyfriend has not. I want him to see the beautiful ruins. Thanks for any help.
-Sunbear
Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2000, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Default RE: Tulum or not to Tulum?

I've been to Tulum several times. You really have to take the shore excursion, since car rental would be much more, and you wouldn't get any tour. Traveling time is around 1 hour each way.

Personally I've never been very impressed with the place -- several excavated buildings, a nice temple overlooking the water (very small), but it's nothing like the other ruins in central america, which are huge and awesome. Given the two hours involved in transportation to and from Tulum, it wasn't all that impressive to me.

But get other opinions ... some folks love the place!
Old September 1st, 2000, 03:28 PM
Sunbear

I have been to chichiniza (sp). I loved it there. My boyfriend hasn't been to any ruins at all. I love history of all kinds, so, you could show me an urn and talk about for an hour and I am happy. We can't do anything in the water for health reasons, so, Tulum seems like a good idea. I am thinking if we do go we must take the tour. I don't think I will make it back to the boat otherwise. Thanks for the opinion Anne.
-sunbear
Old September 1st, 2000, 05:45 PM
First Mate

We are planning to see the Maya Ruins next week. We also weren't sure if we should try it on our own, or go with the cruise tour. I looked on many sites, and I found this message posted. We decided to try it on our own, after reading this post:

COZUMEL/PLAYA DEL CARMEN It was very hot and humid in Mexico. We decided not to book an excursion offered
by carnival, choosing rather to wing it on our own. After taking a cab to town for $5, we purchased tickets to take the
ferry to Playa Del Carmen on the mainland. It did take us a while to figure out how to do all of this, but we found the
cab drivers to be very helpful! (and polite!) From Playa Del Carmen we bartered with a cab driver to take us to the
ruins of Tulum and back for $45. The cab ride took about 40 minutes (going 140 km/h!) and he agreed to wait for
us while we walked around the ruins. Tulum was very pretty and we got many scenic pictures. After an hour and a
half, we were ready to go back to the ferry. On the return cab ride we noticed it started to cloud up outside. By the
time we arrived back to the ferry, it had started to rain. Then it REALLY started to rain. We had to wait about an
hour for the ferry to arrive because they stopped running due to the storm. It eventually cleared up and we caught
the ferry back to Cozumel. We took a cab back to the ship so we could eat dinner and change clothes.
Old September 1st, 2000, 08:29 PM
Jamine

I would definitely recommend going to Tulum. While they are not the most archaeologically impressive ruins when compared to Chitchen Itza (sp?), the view of El Castillo over the ocean is breathtaking and a great photo op. While it would be a while before I would spend the money to go back, it is definitely something you want to see at least once. There are some neat buildings, like the Temple of Frescoes where you can still see faint paintings inside remaining from the city's "glory days."

I would definitely recommend taking the pre-arranged tour from the ship. As another person posted, the ride is almost an hour and would be very expensive. Also, the ferry ride back to Cozumel is included in the shore tours. Finally, you get a "free" guide at the ruins, something that is very helpful.

Please let me know if I can provide additional information.