Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2000, 03:05 PM
IAT

Default First time on CCL

I am scheduled to go on the Holiday in November. I will be in cabin E147 (good location?). This is my first time with Carnival - can anybody tell me what the Holiday is like? What can I expect from a CCL cruise that might be different from a Royal Caribbean cruise? Can anyone suggest what to see and do in Ensenada or Catalina Island?

Furthermore, since Catalina is only 22 miles off the coast of LA, why does it take 15 hours to get there? Where does the ship actually go before Catalina?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2000, 03:40 PM
jwjcmj

Default RE: First time on CCL

Have not sailed on the Holiday, but have hade a bad experience with the cabins Located Directly below the Galley as E-147 is. Had lots of noise all night long from the galley area. They do most of there food preperation during the overnight hours.
Old October 9th, 2000, 05:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Iat,
Found 2 members reviews on Holiday, hope this will give you some ideas about the ship. Have a great time!

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_carnival/holiday.html>

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/shiptour/memreviews/mr_carnival/holiday2.html>

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 10th, 2000, 04:17 PM
First Mate

>
> Furthermore, since Catalina is only 22 miles off the coast of
> LA, why does it take 15 hours to get there? Where does the
> ship actually go before Catalina?
>

That is a natural question, isn't it. And the answer is, they steam in circles around Catalina, or somewhere else close (depending on local shipping traffic, of couse).
Because, yes, they COULD be there in a couple of hours. Ensenada is also quite close, the "day at sea" sometimes is spent making a couple of circuits of Catalina.

When my daughter & I were on the Holiday last April, we rented an open-air golf cart for a couple of hours to tour around Avalon (the town on Catalina you tender in to). We had a blast! "Covered" carts are also available. If the weather is nice, this is a very fun thing to do.

Susan
Old October 20th, 2000, 07:58 AM
hdawson

One difference I expect you'll see is better dining room food on Carnival than RCL.
At least that has been my experience. Carnival has come a very long way in the dining room.