Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 21st, 2000, 10:01 PM
Paul Beardmore

Default Having a Good Time On Your Cruise - Its Up To YOU!

I find it amazing that some people go on a cruise, and write reviews that paint a very negative picture. I am specifically talking about the few people who have written negative things about the new Carnival Victory. My wife and I have been on six cruises, going on our seventh next March. On each of the cruises we have been, there always seems to be one person or couple that magnifies little problems, and paints a very negative picture to others about their cruising experience. In several cases, I had to ask myself "was I on the same cruise with that person"? How can a group of 50 people go on a cruise, and 2 people out of the 50 say that the cruise was horrible? These people are, by nature, negative people. If they won a million dollars, they would question it, wondering if they would get screwed in taxes.

If you've never been on a cruise before, prepare your mental frame of mind so that you picture yourself having a wonderful time. There will be a few things that arise that are not perfect - no cruise line is without imperfection. Don't sweat the small stuff, and make every effort to enjoy your cruise.

So what constitutes a great cruise? It depends on your personality. If you want to have FUN, get involved in the shipboard activities that are offered, rather than just sitting back on the sidelines. I very often speak with people after they have cruised, who regretted not participating in the fun actvitities provided by the cruise staff. Get involved, if you want to have fun. Indroduce yourself to other people who appear to have something in common with you. You would be amazed at how often friendships blossom from people who met someone on a cruise.

If you are not looking for FUN, but prefer a more low key cruise, you can do that as well. No one forces you to get involved in shipboard activities. Pick and choose the things that do interest you (massages, art auctions, etc), and you will have a wonderful time.

Honestly - I laugh at these people who SWEAR that one cruise line is better than another. That is absolute hogwash. I went on a cruise last March on the Norwegian Wind - an older, 50,000 ton ship. By todays standards, it wasn't nearly as luxurious as most newer ships. Everyone in our group had a WONDERFUL time on this ship. We would have had a wonderful time, if we were sailing on the SS Minnow. You see - it is all about attitude. Keep a positive one, and you will have the time of your life, regardless of a few imperfections.

Regards,
Paul Beardmore
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2000, 01:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: Having a Good Time On Your Cruise - Its Up To

Paul, I agree...Life is what you make of it! The same goes for cruises!!!!!!!! I can't wait to go aboard the Victory this December 10th and be with friends and family......and meet new friends--that's what it is all about-not the size of your steak or cabin....
Old October 22nd, 2000, 01:52 AM
Murt

I also agree. We went on a cruise last year and some people even complained that the carpet was a little worn in the elevators. I would be a little worn out too if I had more than 2000 people walking on me seven days a week. I go on a cruise for the fun and relaxation. Not to walk around the ship nit picking about everything. I don't have to cook, clean, do laundry, worry about my job or my kids. All I have to do is relax and have a good time.
Old October 22nd, 2000, 08:58 PM
SEA DAZE

Amen! I,ve NEVER had a bad cruise. Whiners & complainers, the world is full of them. Stay home.
Old October 22nd, 2000, 09:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hooray for you Paul. Before I finally booked my first cruise which is not happening for another two months, I spent hours and hours reading one review after another until I finally said ENOUGH! - I read that the food is terrific, the food is awful, the entertainment is amazing, the entertainment is lousy. Why should I rely on others people's opinions (except the professionals) which are so varied to decide whether I am going or not. My family is totally excited about this trip and our attitudes will reflect how great of a time we expect to have.
Old October 23rd, 2000, 03:32 PM
First Mate

We are going on our first cruise next month, Sensation 11-26. It will be my wife,two teenage sons and myself. This will be the first big vacation we have had in about ten years. Short of the ship sinking we will be having a good time.
Old October 23rd, 2000, 04:54 PM
Passenger

Default Thank You Paul

I just got done reading a bunch of SUPER negative reviews about Tropicale. Now that I read your post I feel much better. I'm going on my very first cruise on the Tropicale November 4th and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let the party poopers ruin it for me. Thanks again.
Old October 23rd, 2000, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: Thank You Paul

Hi Christina,
Glad you are going with such a positive additude, bet you will have a ball and want to go again real soon. Have Fun and let us know about it when you return.

Bon Voyage

Donnassei/Sealover
Old October 26th, 2000, 09:12 AM
Saint

This is one of the best notes I have read since I started looking into cruises. Every cruise line should take a copy of your note and post it in every travel agency. I couldn't have said it better. You get out of something what you put in.( Actually that may not be the saying I am looking for). I have wanted to go on a cruise as long as I can remember. I never thought I would but I am going on the IMAGINATION in January. As one person said, short of sinking, this will be the best vacation I will have ever had because it is a life long dream. I know I will enjoy it because I won't let anything "get to me".
Thanks again.
Old October 28th, 2000, 11:39 PM
christiansmom

Very well written, Paul and my feelings exactly. I have sailed 5 lines, 9 cruises and although some were better than others, I had a wonderful on all of them. People put too much importance on the little things. On our last cruise, a person was despondent over the fact that her stateroom attendant didn't make towel animals. I just don't don't get it. Almost comical.

I am sailing the Victory on 11/5. I have heard so many negatives about Carnival (positives, too, I might add!) but I pay no mind. I have no doubt I will have a great time! Here, here for positive attitudes and not sweating the small stuff!

Happy cruising to all,