Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2000, 04:46 PM
Paul Beardmore

Default Motion Sickness On New Carnival Ships?

I keep reading about people who say that motion sickness is a problem on the Carnival Victory. With all of the new stabilization system technology, I find it hard to believe that motion sickness is a big issue on modern Carnival ships, unless you encounter extremely rough seas.

I have read numerous posts on this board about motion sickness, and wondered if everyone would share their thoughts about whether the new Carnival ships are MORE prone to the passengers getting motion sickness. If you share your thoughts, it may be helpful to give also provide the number of cruises you've been on, and if you feel that compared to the older ships, the new Carnival Ships (Destiny, Victory, etc) have regressed in keeping the ship from tossing and turning. If you had a rough ride, you may also want to elaborate on the condition of the seas at the time you had problems (6' to 9' seas are fairly normal, things start to rock a little beyond that).

Regards,
Paul Beardmore
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2001, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default RE: Motion Sickness On New Carnival Ships?

Paul,
I haven't sailed on Victory yet, but have sailed Destiny a couple of time, and the Triumph (all sister ships), and have never noticed any excess roll. I recall one night on Destiny where we were in 15 ft seas, and there was no doubt we were moving, but after all its a ship<G>

Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
CruiseMates.com
Old January 1st, 2001, 04:18 PM
unknown

I just returned from a cruise with 30 ft seas at one point.......alot of people got sick and the bingo machine almost fell off of the stage at one of the shows.......we had terrible weather though, and the captain said it was very unlikley that it would happen again.....for at least a while.
Old January 3rd, 2001, 09:35 AM
alesia

I just came off victory, and in rough seas it was bad. I have been on destiny and triumph in rough seas and didn't have a problem. I don't think the stablizers were working. Boy was that ship rolling. Still makes me want to ralf. I have never been seasick before but this ship got to me.
Old January 4th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

I've never had a problem on the Destiny. (Been on it twice.) I'm going on the Victory in three weeks. I'll let you know.
Old January 12th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

The problem seems to be one of speed. The new ships travel at 24 to 26 knots. This is about 25% faster than they used to travel at. We were in 4-7 ft. seas and there was some motion. It seemed to affect more women than men, and it was on the way to San Juan from Miami on the Victory. There was a lot less motion on the way back. Mel
Old December 6th, 2002, 10:40 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: RE: Motion Sickness On New Carnival Ships?

Now I am worried about motion sickness for my husband.Going on the victory on the 22nd and he is really worried about the motion sickness that is why we haven't been on a cruise for 14 years. We are in the front part of the boat is that worse for motion sickness?
Old December 7th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: RE: Motion Sickness On New Carnival Ships?

JP,
Yes, the front part has more motion than the middle and lowest portion of the ship. The large ships are really very stable and you shouldn't be bothered in most cases but to ensure that there is never any problem I suggest that he use the patch or take bonine before he becomes ill.
Jim

Old December 7th, 2002, 12:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Motion Sickness On New Carnival Ships?

Was on the Elation crossing the mouth of the Sea of Cortez between Mazatland and Cabo San Lucas with very high seas (I would estimate 20-25 feet). People puking all over the place, particularly those near the bow of the ship. All shows were cancelled in the main lounge probably because they are so close to the bow. I don't recall any equipment tipping over, however

The Captain apologized several times during the evening saying most of the problem was because we had to MAINTAIN SUCH HIGH SPEED because of a sick passenger they needed to get to Cabo as quickly as possible. Although the movement didn't affect me, it was obvious, by the looks on some of the passengers faces, that this would most likely be their last cruise. Have been in contact with a tablemate and her husband and daughter since and they have never or will ever take another cruise because of this (recently FLEW to Cancun for a vacation).

This event was the only time in 9 Mexican Riviera cruises that I ever encountered rough seas. I think its considered quite abnormal to get rough weather on this itinerary as well.

Gary
Old December 7th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Sissybrat

We were on the Paradise this past May and on the way to Jamaica we encountered 12' swells with tremendous winds, the ship rolled a bit but nothing a little dramamine couldn't handle. Other than that, its just a lolling kind of soothing motion/movement.
Old December 7th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: RE: Motion Sickness On New Carnival Ships?

Yes! Being in the front of the ship is much worse than center or back -- a friend of mine on last year's cruise got seasick the first night she spent in her far forward cabin (and stayed sick with a patch on the rest of the time) -- another friend in the same cabin had no problem (more of an iron constitution), but even when I went into their cabin I noticed the pitch and roll was many times worse than ours (we were center inside) and our seas weren't even that bad. Good luck! :>)
Old December 7th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: RE: Motion Sickness On New Carnival Ships?

JP, try to get midship. I was on the front of Triumph and that baby rock and rolled. There was also a banging noise when the seas got rougher. It drove us nuts!

Golden Princess 12/04
Galaxy 1/04
Elation 2/03
Enchantment of the Seas 4/02
Fantasy 11/01
Triumph 4/01
Sensation 4/97
Old December 7th, 2002, 08:10 PM
mattman

I HAVE BEEN ON THE VICTORY I WENT WITH 8 PEOPLE NOBODY GOT SICK AND I MUST HAVE MET 40 PEOPLE IN THE DANCE CLUB NOBODY GOT ILL THERE EITHER, HERE IS LITTLE TIP ON HOW NOT TO GET SICK ON A CRUISE...........................................M AKE SURE YOU EAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAST WHY THEY HAVE SO MUCH FOOD..........PEOPLE WHO DONT EAT GET SICK ITS TRUE
Old December 8th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Passenger

Oh come on now people. If someone is concerned about getting sea sick or think that they will, then don't go. Do the Club Med thing. No one here can tell you weather or not you will get sick. It is all a personal metal toughness thing. Either you can cruise or you can't.
Old December 8th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Admiral

While much of it does have to do with one's attitude and pre-expectations it is not just a mental thing. It is an inner ear disorder in many cases and completely physical. Come are affected very seriously, other can go through a hurricane without feeling the least bit queezy. Also just because you never have been sick, doesn't mean it can't sudddenly happen to you. Never pick on anyone that is seasick for there but for the grace of God go you!
Jim

Old December 8th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Passenger

We had a cabin on the Lido deck and didn't feel a thing. Even when we had one night with over 14' seas.
Old December 9th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Passenger

We were on the Pride 11/2, depending on were we were the Seas were a little rough leaving and returning to Florida. We were in the Back of the Ship. Alot of vibration on the Panarama Deck from the Engines. The Bed was always shaking even when we were being good! Take the Bonine, doesnt bother you at all and none of the motion will matter
Old December 9th, 2002, 03:43 PM
angie

just returned from the Victory and had no problem with moon sickness
and had a great holiday.
Old December 13th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Motion Sickness On New Carnival Ships?

We sailed the Victory last January, seas were rough and we were moving fast, we left Miami 2 hours late (some goofy guests were found to be carring several hundred bees in jars, go figure!!) I was queasy and unsteady on my feet ,as was one of my daughters, my husband and youngest daughter were fine. We found that the wrist bands worked well as did the meds in the infirmary. One crew member told me our ride was rough due to high seas and high speed. Funny thing was my husband felt the symptoms as soon as we got back on dry land, it took him a day or so to readjust.
Old December 13th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Art Carabine

My wife and I have been on the Victory and the Triumph. Motion sickness was not a problem on either ship.The only ship that affected my wife was the Millenium. That ship has a stabilizer problem. Wrist bands that put a pressure on the wrists helped greatly.
We are going on the Legend April 3,2003
Old December 15th, 2002, 08:11 PM
First Mate

I've sailed on several carnial ships. The ride has been smooth on all of them; in seas from calm to 14 or 16 feet. I have never gotten seasick.

Most of the time, my wife and I try to get a cabin mid-ship on a lower deck. the ride seems to be smoothest there. (In the reat of the ship, I've found that the engine rumble annoying.) During high seas, I have felt the motion more in the front of the ship and in the theatre.

When my wife feels a little green around the edges, she just gets an alcoholic drink and then she's fine.

George
http://www.ircruise.com
Ecstasy, Dec. '98
Imagination, Dec. '99
Fascination, Dec. '00
Destiny, May '01
Destiny, Dec. '01
Victory, Dec. '02
Conquest, Dec. '03
Old December 16th, 2002, 06:06 PM
socialhost

I have worked on the Ecstasy, Fantasy, and Imagination and have cruised on the Holiday, Jubilee, Triumph and Pride. I found the motion on the Pride to be the worst.
I thought the motion on the newer class of ships was much worse, and igured it was because of the faster speed and the narrower design. I cruised last June for 2 back to back 7 day cruises and thought maybe I had been off ships too long and that was why the motion was bad. I stayed in a crew cabin (courtesy of my uhsband working onboard). The other crew members onboard thought the motion was different from the older ships, too. All I can say is, try to get a cabin that is mid-ship, and not too high up. Motion is always worse the more forward you go and the higher you go.
Old December 17th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Passenger

Hi Paul,

I have cruised on the New Carnival Pride and no motion sickness and I have a real problem with motion sickness.
Old December 31st, 2002, 07:35 PM
Familiar Face

Victory 22nd of Dec. We had rough water. My husband and son both had motion sickness. Ended up using the patch and that helped. On the way back from Jamaica the wind was so strong you couldn' t even open tne the door to the balcony. You do have motion sickness on these big ships. Could really feel the motion while in the big show room and in the dining room.

Sill had a wonderul time. Glad we went.
Old January 2nd, 2003, 06:06 PM
Passenger

My family was on the Pride 12-07-02. I have been on 3 other cruises (Fantasy,Ectasy,Princess) I always have gotten sick and I have always taken
Dramamine. ( still sick). This time I had the patch . If you think you may be sick
get it I had the greatest trip this time. I recommend the patch.
Old January 6th, 2003, 07:32 AM
LHP

Every morning (whether I think I will need it or not) I take 1 Bonine. It does not make me sleepy and I have NEVER been sea sick (regardless of the seas). I have been on ships as small as the Celebration and as large as the Conquest.....with the largest waves being 25ft. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!!
Old January 6th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Mary Ann

Default Re: Re: Re: Motion Sickness On New Carnival Ships?

I get motion sickness on all my cruises. I have used the wrist bands in the past and they worked fine. This time on the Pride 1 day of rough seas they didn't work. My husband bought me the electronic wrist band in the gift shop when i laid dying on my bed. I put it on and within an hour I was up and around and had a great time the rest of the trip. I only took the band off when sleeping and when we were in port. It was defintely worth the $100. I will pack it on every cruise.

Happy Sailing

Mary Ann
Old January 6th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Nobody has a weaker stomach than me, however, I just returned from the Imagination (Carnival) and despite some real rockin' and rollin', I never even felt nauseous!
Old February 1st, 2003, 01:44 PM
cruise_0_matic

I never got sick on the pride, but you can fell rocking and acceleration in the butterflies loung and the taj mahal toward the front of the ship
Old February 1st, 2003, 09:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Motion Sickness On New Carnival Ships?

Catherine, did the patch give you any side effects? What about alcohol? We sail a week from today, and I think I will use it just in case...
Thanks ~
Robin