Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 2nd, 2001, 06:37 PM
DPeery

Default Carnival stop in Cozumel

We are sailing the Triumph Jan 13th. I was thinking of renting a car in cozumel but I don't know what pier (apparantly there is more then one) we would come in at. Also does anyone have any comments about renting a car and doing your own thing while in port? Would like to here both positive and negative comments.

Thanks
DPeery
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2001, 06:42 PM
Passenger

Default RE: Carnival stop in Cozumel

DPeery,

Hi there, well carnival only dock at one pier, its the one which carnival paid to have built. You can rent a car at the pier or go downtown to rent one. Its up to you. down town is much cheaper, as thay usually take advantage of you right there at the pier. as you would expect.

i hope that helps,

Russell
Old January 3rd, 2001, 07:00 PM
First Mate

Carnival uses the International Pier, not the one downtown. The International Pier was built to handle the larger ships like Triumph.

Hope this helps.

Sharon

(Future cruises - Westerdam in March, Jubilee in June)
Old January 3rd, 2001, 07:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

IF you do rent a car make sure you have some sort of insurance. The people drive horribly in Mexico. I am very serious about this. You don't mess around with this. We were sitting stationary getting all our goodies in our taxi and this other taxi ran right into the back of the suburban we were in...so be careful.
Old January 3rd, 2001, 08:06 PM
RoboCop

I don't know if I would bother renting a car in Cozumel. Taxis are readily available and pretty cheap. If you still wish to rent a vehicle then there is a place right there at the pier that will assist you. Carnival uses the brand new pier was built the year before last.
Jim
Old January 8th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Andrea A

Default Re: RE: Carnival stop in Cozumel

I took the Carnival Sensation to Cozumel a few years back. We took the Fiesta Party Boat, which is music and dancing (and rum runners) and it brings you to Playa del Sol (I believe that was the name of the beach) for an hour or so of sunning and swimming (and climing a 3 story blow up rock climing "ice berg" in the middle of the water... crazy) Then headed to the infamous Carlos and Charlies.... what a fun day... IF that's the kind of thing you like.
Old January 8th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Heather T

Default Re: Carnival stop in Cozumel

I wouldn't recommend renting a car in Mexico. I agree w/ the person who said that they drive crazy down there. And taxis are REALLY cheap. Just make sure you barter with the taxi driver for the best price BEFORE you get in the car. Usually you can get a great price because there will be a lot of cabs in one spot and they will try to compete for your business.

Hope this helps!

Heather
Old January 9th, 2003, 08:15 AM
JoeLe

Default Re: Re: Carnival stop in Cozumel

How far is it into town, can you walk and how much is cheap for the Tazi ride?

Thanks
Old January 9th, 2003, 09:07 AM
LHP

Default Re: Re: Re: Carnival stop in Cozumel

Downtown is several miles (5, I think). Which is to far for me to walk, when a whole taxi only costs $6 one way. That is not per person...that is for the whole cab. We have been to two beaches Playa Azul (which is $12 each way) and Playa Sol ($14 each way). Playa Sol charges $8 per person for the day, but they have nice facilities and beach....or you can go to Playa San Fran. just down the road and their beach is free.

Actually, all the beaches are free in Cozumel (whether the hotels like it or not)...but they can (and do) charge you for the chairs, umbrellas etc. Playa Azul's beach is small, but very nice and they do not charge (at least when we were there in July) for the chairs or tables. They have great frozen drinks for about $6. But they only take Mexican money at this beach or credit card.
Old January 10th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Carnival stop in Cozumel

There is no real bartering going on with the taxi's in Cozumel as they are regulated there and all have a certain price. It does behoove one though to confirm this agreed upon price prior to entering the taxi however.
Jim

Old January 12th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: RE: Carnival stop in Cozumel

We did the Passion Islans tour and it was really nice. Nice buffett lunch and drinks included in the tour. The bus dropped people off down town if they wanted to shop. A stop at Charlie's is a must..
Old January 12th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Tim & Tonya

Default Re: Re: Re: RE: Carnival stop in Cozumel

Hello jp (or anyone with info),

I would like to hear more about this Passion Island Tours. We will only be in Cozumel from 9:00 a.m. till 3:00 p.m. Is this something that could be fit into this schedule ?
My wife is not into the water thing and we are looking for things to do for this short period. This "Charlies" sounds like a must. Can't wait until 03-06-03...

May your seas be silky,

Tim & Tonya
Old February 1st, 2003, 12:01 PM
Sooshie

Default Re: Re: RE: Carnival stop in Cozumel

We did the fiesta party boat in 10/00 and it was ok. Playa Sol was nice but nothing great. I felt there was alot of time wasted getting to the beach on the boat when you could take a 10 minute ride in a taxi and have more time to spend at the beach. Our boat left at 3pm and really broke up our day of shopping etc. We ended up going downtown shopping, back to the ship to meet the boat, and then back downtown for more shopping until the ship left.

I went back to Cozumel in 10/02 and went to a great beach. It was called Nachi-Cocom. They had a beach service restaurant, a fresh water pool with a swim up bar, jacuzzi, gorgeous beach with thatched umbrellas, and some watersports. This was all free (except for the food, drinks and watersports). The beach was located a little south of Playa Sol. I will return there in October 2003 if I choose that itinerary.