Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2001, 05:06 PM
unknown

Default jobs

I was wondering if anyone knew how you would go about obtaining a job on one of these ships. I was interested, and was wondering if the camp counselers or entertainment people needed much experience. And how old you had to be.
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2001, 05:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default RE: jobs

Unknow,
You may want to try going to the different cruiseline's web-sites and look for "employment". They should be able to give you details, good luck.

Donnassei
Old January 8th, 2001, 10:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE: jobs

As far as I've heard, it's difficult for Americans to get jobs on the ships. Seems the company that does hiring general help is not the cruise line itself. I've been told it's in England and that's why many of the ship staff are Brits (purser, guest relations, social). Dining and cabin staff are multi international; usually from the Phillipines and other Asian/Pacific countries (pay is well below our minimum, but their tips far exceeds anything they could make back home, therefore will work many years for the cruise lines). All staff are generally multi-position... and yes, they do baby-sitting also. I'm not sure of the "counselors" in the children's programs, but my guess is that it's not their only job onboard.
Working on the ships is not a "glamerous" job. Since ships are registered under foreign flags, they're not subject to U.S.minimum labor laws. Pay scale is not subject to even our minimum wage law. The days are long, the work is hard; very little time off; have to commit to many weeks to the position; live with each other in small, cramped quarters; and again, not protected by U.S. labor law should anything go wrong, or be wrong.
I know I've painted a kind of dreadful picture, but too many think working on a ship is like the Love Boat TV series. That was TV; It was not real life.