Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Brittany

Default Seasickness and patches

So I posted this in the pharmacy part and no one has replied! So I thought I would try it here. Do those patches make you so sleepy you don't have a good time? Also what is a good alternative that DOESNT make you tired? anyone know or have any tips? thanks!

Brittany
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Seasickness and patches

Brittany,
I've talked to people who used the patch and became even sicker with it. If you are sailing in the Caribbean chances are the waters are not going to be so rough so you shouldn't worry. However, I was told (cannot remember the name right now)there is some over the counter drug you can take that does not have any side effects. I would check in your local drug store, you should be able to find it there.
Old January 26th, 2001, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Brittany,
You can also try Bonnine, you can pick them up at your local pharmacy over the counter. I always pack them, but so far haven't had to use them. Hope you won't either. I've heard you should not drink alchol while wearing the patch, so don't know if that would be a problem for U?

Donnassei
Old January 26th, 2001, 04:08 PM
RoboCop

Brittany, I don't use anything as I am fortunately not prone to seasixkness but I understand that the patches are not supposed to make you sleepy. You might try anything that contains ginger, either a capsule or even ginger ale. That is supposed to be nature'e remedy.
Jim
Old January 26th, 2001, 05:47 PM
Cheri

Brittany,
I used the patches that I got from my doctor on our last cruise and it worked great and didn't make me sleepy at all. You wear them behind your ear for 3 days at a time. The only problem I had was I forgot to change it once and got kind of nauseous at the end of our cruise.
Old January 26th, 2001, 06:12 PM
Admiral

My husband and I use a patch everytime we cruise. We are both small adults, and cut one patch in half. We put it on the night before the cruise, and usually take it off by the fifth day. We have never had any side effects other than a dry mouth. Just be very careful to wash your hands after you touch the patch.
Old January 26th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Brittany

Thank you all very much. No I won't be drinking as I am only 15 and I wouldn't drink anyway!! Also I KNOW I will get seasick from two other cruise experiences. I think I may try the patches. Thanks again!

Brittany
Old January 26th, 2001, 07:35 PM
First Mate

The patches do make you sleepy, also can cause blurry vision and a general just not feeling good. Have tried most everything available and have come across ginger capsules a few years ago and have had no problems with seasickness or any side effects.
Old January 26th, 2001, 09:05 PM
Brittany

These ginger capsules, I have been hearing about and you mentioned them. Where can you purchase these? I would much rather be on something like that than anything like patches with side effects! Please let me know where to get them at! Thanks!

Brittany
Old January 26th, 2001, 11:41 PM
Passenger

Hi Brittany-

Your can get ginger capsules at a drug store or a health/vitamin store (GNC). These work pretty well although I'm not super-prone to seasickness. The best advice is to keep your stomach full which is very easy with so much to eat. If you're feeling a bit nauseous, be sure and eat something right away. I know it's the last thing you'll feel like doing, but it really does work. In fact, if you mention to any of the staff on the ship that you're feeling queasy, they'll tell you to go eat something. The patch does have side effects as have been mentioned. (I used them several years ago and have recently used ginger when necessary) You should be able to find the ginger capsules fairly easily. Also, you can get ginger ale to drink which will help calm your stomach as well. Don't be too concerned, you'll do fine. Have a great time!!!!

-Dana
Old January 27th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Brittany

Thanks! And do I take these ginger capsules when I feel sick or just like a certain amount of them per day? Also thanks for the tip about eating. I would usually not eat anything the rest of the day when I felt sick! Thanks again!

Brittany
Old January 28th, 2001, 12:08 PM
First Mate

You should start taking the capsules a couple of days before you cruise to get the ginger in your system. Depending on the seas, I vary what I take on the cruise. On the Inspiration all but the last day the seas were very smooth, like being on a lake, I would just take one after dinner, just to keep it in my system. You can purchase them in any drug store or grocery store in the pharmacy section.
Old February 5th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

Used the patches on six cruises. They never made me sleepy or sick. Usually took them off after three days. If you are going to use them, get them at home from the pharmacy (need a RX) , Dinner partner at our table got them from the ship doctor and paid five times as much.