Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Anyone been on the Inspiration?

My husband and I are thinking about driving to New Orleans from Memphis to take a western caribbean cruise on the Inspiration. Is the ship nice? We went on RCCL for our honeymoon on the same itinerary and loved it. I have heard mixed emotions about Carnival, so I am interested in hearing about what anyone has to say about this particular ship. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2001, 07:48 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Anyone been on the Inspiration?

Just sailed on her 1-14-01, had a great time, crew were wonderful, food excellent, waiter was great, entertainment on par for cruise ships. Had no complaints whatsoever. Nice size cabins. It amazing how many people down Carnival and when you ask them they have never cruised much less on Carnival. The Inspiration was a top-notch ship. This was our 24th cruise, have sailed on NCL, RCI, Princess, Celebrity, Premier, Disney and some which are no longer in existence, our second Carnival cruise and can't really find anything bad about either on. All ships have their personalities and we have liked something better on one and something better on another, but have never had a bad cruise except for the Voyager last Jan.
Old February 6th, 2001, 08:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I must disagree with Judy. I was not very impressed with the Inspiration. I found the entertainment not as good as RCI. The Captain's cocktail party was a joke. The Captain barely made an appearance and one could hardly get a drink or an hors d'ouevre. The cruise director was not very friendly nor were the cruise staff. When we asked if there was much walking on one of the tours we were told no. All we did was walk. I was really angry about that. I would not have booked the tour if they had been straightforward with me. I had to get a refund on one of the tours because the lack of communication and coordination caused us to miss the tour. We were in the wrong area and when I asked one of the staff if this was the right place, he looked at my tickets and said yes.

Our service was good but not great. The ship is rather glitzy. I much prefer the understated elegance of RCI, especially the Grandeur of the Seas.

My cruise on the Inspiration was my first crusie with Carnival. I give anyone the benefit of the doubt and am trying them again this Sat on the Ecstasy. I sure hope this cruise is better than the Inspiration.

I would definitely recommend RCI over Carnival.

Judy
Old February 7th, 2001, 08:50 AM
First Mate

Funny how people look at things differently, we were with a group of 19 and everyone but 4 had cruised before and had cruised on RCI and felt Carnival was as good, sometimes better. The Captains Cocktail Party and repeaters party were voted the best ever. For once they had appetizers that were worth eating and plentiful and the drinks were never ending, you must have been sitting in a bad spot. We found the staff to be very friendly, as far as the cruise director he was fine, we never to get chummy with them, so as long as he does a good job that's fine with us. I do agree I like RCI's atruims better, but every ship has it's own things, I've been on 24 cruises and each ship has something you like and dislike, it all evens out in the end.
Old February 16th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Passenger

We sailed the Inspiration in December and had a lovely time despite cool and rainy weather 3 of the days. The ship is clean and the dining room staff very nice. Food varied from fine to very good though we ate exclusively in the dinig room so I can't comment on the Windjammer except that the pizza when freshly made was very good. We also drove from West Tennessee that was very easy - stayed the night in Jackson,MS and into New Orleans the next morning. I did find that the passenger list was primarily from the surrounding southern states and in general it was a more congenial crowd than when we sail from Miami - and I am a transplanted Yankee. We don't usually attend the cocktail or captain's party so that isn't important to us. Took our teenage boys and they also had a great time - freedom within limits. Have a great cruise.