Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2001, 12:53 PM
boards

Default Carnival Cruises

We would like to cruise again on the Carnival Line (have been on 4 cruises with them) but have not cruised since 1990 with them. However we are little older now and are not the party people we use to be. Would the Carnival Line still be the one for us? We have always found the cabins (including the size) to be good, the food was very good and the entertainment to our liking. We are in our 60's now, are there some like us who have enjoyed travelling with Carnival that find they can still enjoy the cruises with them.
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Cyndi Wagner

Default Re: Carnival Cruises

My husband and I are in our late 40s/early 50s and we still enjoy Carnival, mostly for the food, the value and, best of all, its A CRUISE!
Nope, we don't stay up and party any more but don't find that those who do interfere with our enjoyment.
As a matter of fact it is very nice to get up early and practically have the ship to yourself.
Our last cruise we felt that none of the night spots were really playing our kind of dance music, but we enjoyed having a nightcap at one of the quieter bars.
We have a teenage daughter who loves Carnival so its still a great decision for us as a family.
Old February 13th, 2001, 06:28 PM
First Mate

Just sailed on the Inspiration in Jan, I am 57 my husband 61, we were traveling with 17 other people, most of them older than us, in fact one couple is 78, they had a ball. Really never saw a lot of partying, I think the Carnival crowd is getting OLDER! Were some younger couples, but they had children with them so things were really pretty quite. The food service were outstanding, the entertainment on par with other cruiselines.
Old February 13th, 2001, 06:40 PM
boards

Thank you for the responses to my post. That makes it easier in deciding on which line we will cruise on next.
Old February 13th, 2001, 08:12 PM
First Mate

boards wrote:
>
> We would like to cruise again on the Carnival Line (have been
> on 4 cruises with them) but have not cruised since 1990 with
> them. However we are little older now and are not the party
> people we use to be. Would the Carnival Line still be the
> one for us? We have always found the cabins (including the
> size) to be good, the food was very good and the
> entertainment to our liking. We are in our 60's now, are
> there some like us who have enjoyed travelling with Carnival
> that find they can still enjoy the cruises with them.
Old February 14th, 2001, 10:50 AM
BillG

Any Carnival cruise we have been on has had a wide range of ages represented. While their cruise offer high energy activities and entertainment and the decor is certainly bright and vibrant, it should not prevent older passengers who are still young at heart from having a great cruise. There are a variety of activities and entertainment that should satisfy all but the fussiest of cruisers. From a quick reading of the boards it is obvious that Carnival has made a concerted effort to upgrade its food and service (which by the way, I never found to be lacking)and to eliminate any of the rowdiness that was their stereotype. Attitude rather than age is probably the most important determinant as to whether someone will have a good time on any cruise or cruiseline. While I have other lines on which I prefer to cruise, I would never arbitrarilt rule out Carnival or recommend that anyone who is comfortable with their style of cruising forego an opportunity to sail with them. Go back on the line and enjoy yourselves.
Old February 14th, 2001, 12:34 PM
LinecoachARHS

We are in our early/mid 50's and did a Mexican Cruise on the Elation in January 01. We found the ship to be very nice, albeit difficult to navigate around in, and the food and beverages to be outstanding. Dining room and bar service was excellent, but room maintenance left a little to be desired. On two seperate days our room steward failed to make up our room during the day. AND THE KIDS!!!! The under 7 crowd was everywhere, even singing camp songs in the halls under the direction of the "Camp Carnival" babysitter. Forget trying to use the hot tub during the day. On embarkation day the motto of the "tank top crowd" seemed to be "on by 1:00, drunk by 4:00". Carnival is a good value (which was the only reason we took the trip) but remember, you get what you pay for.
Old February 14th, 2001, 01:15 PM
boards

That is exactly been our experience on two of the cruises we went on with the Carnival Line. Is this true on all of their ships or is it the particular time of the year when its like that? We have nothing against having a good time, but there are limits to what some will call having a good time. Sounds like maybe I am looking at the wrong line to travel on.LinecoachARHS wrote:
>
> We are in our early/mid 50's and did a Mexican Cruise on the
> Elation in January 01. We found the ship to be very nice,
> albeit difficult to navigate around in, and the food and
> beverages to be outstanding. Dining room and bar service was
> excellent, but room maintenance left a little to be desired.
> On two seperate days our room steward failed to make up our
> room during the day. AND THE KIDS!!!! The under 7 crowd was
> everywhere, even singing camp songs in the halls under the
> direction of the "Camp Carnival" babysitter. Forget trying
> to use the hot tub during the day. On embarkation day the
> motto of the "tank top crowd" seemed to be "on by 1:00, drunk
> by 4:00". Carnival is a good value (which was the only
> reason we took the trip) but remember, you get what you pay
> for.
Old February 14th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

boards wrote:
>
> That is exactly been our experience on two of the cruises we
> went on with the Carnival Line. Is this true on all of their
> ships or is it the particular time of the year when its like
> that? We have nothing against having a good time, but there
> are limits to what some will call having a good time. Sounds
> like maybe I am looking at the wrong line to travel
> on.

We're in our 50s as well. I've cruised Carnival 5 times... all since 1996, and I've never encountered this type of atmosphere onboard. There always seems to be something going on.. but haven't ever felt over run by kids, or found a frat party atmosphere.
I do believe the west coast trips have more of a party boat feel than some of the other itineraries. Not sure why that is.
I think Carnival carries a pretty varied mix of age groups, and offers very good value for your money.
Regards,
Kuki
Features Editor
Old February 14th, 2001, 04:36 PM
boards

Thank you for your response. It was on the Holiday in 1990 that we had our worst experience. We later travelled on the Festival and enjoyed that cruise very much.
Old February 14th, 2001, 08:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think the time of year and how long your cruise is has alot to do with the average age of the crowd. I also just cruised in January on a 7 day cruise and the vast majority of the crowd were older. (I'm 40). I saw very few children on this cruise.
Old February 15th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Janet

We have sailed with Carnival six times; our seventh is booked for March 3, 2002 on the new Spirit. We are 50ish, married 28 years, with grown children. We love to have a good time, meet new friends, and always make the most of our cruises. But we are not "party-ers."

Once we made the mistake of sailing during Spring break. Mommy and Daddy back home would have been very disappointed to see the behavior of their little darlings on board the ship. I would love to have written to a few parents of the spoiled brats who stiffed the hard working service personnel on board the ship. They probably drank all of their tip money...

Once we made the mistake of sailing during February school vacation when the ship was overrun with youngsters. They behaved far better than the college kids, but I prefer to dine without a whining kid at the next table.

In spite of those experiences, we have always had a good time (even on those cruises.) We recognize that, to some, Carnival has an image problem. But even on those two cruises, the impact of the behavior of those folks was only minimal to us.

The ships have always been wonderful - some more wonderful than others. The entertainment has always been excellent. The service has always been very good, sometimes even better than that. We have always enjoyed the cuisine. Most of the ports were interesting and fun.

But the most important thing is our own attitudes. We go on the ship to meet new friends and have a good time. We don't let little disappointments detract from an otherwise great experience. Can't wait for next March.
Old February 16th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Passenger

Sure, Carnival would still be great. We're going on the Elation out of San Pedro 7/1/01. Where are you planning on cruising???
Old February 16th, 2001, 04:57 PM
boards

We haven't decided yet. We are thinking about a cruise that would include Aruba but don't know when would be a good time for us.
Old February 17th, 2001, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

We have been on carnival & celebrity. I would recommend celebrity.
Old February 17th, 2001, 11:00 PM
Robert Casey

My family sailed on Elation in summer '99. The ship was gorgeous, the food was the best of the 8 cruises we've taken (including RCL's Vision of Seas). Yes there are lots of kids on Carnival, but that's part of the attraction if you have a family. Kids were generally well behaved...only downer was my daughter got barred from the wonderful water slide aboard the ship...was 6 years old, but too small!
Old February 18th, 2001, 08:10 PM
jbhcw

I'm in my 50's with husband in early 60's. We have sailed Carnival many times, only a problem once on a four day (Fantasy) I think Carnival has calmed down some in the past few years. We were on the Triumph in November and saw lots of young parents with small children (Strollers) and some party folks, but all in all a good cruise for all ages. Our 27 year old son goes with us some times and he loves it, so there is something for all ages.
Old February 26th, 2001, 11:26 PM
First Mate

We recently did the Paradise and had a ball. It is non-smoking which for us was great. We will be leaving soon on a different line and on a "smoking" ship and are a little worried. There is as much or as little action as you could want, I would say. I would book a time when you could expect the least amount of kids as the week before we went was still spring break and our waiter claimed there were 900 "kid" guests that week. There were hardly any the week we went. Go and have a good time!