Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Passenger

Default Shore excursion in Cozumel, Cayman and ocho rios

Looking for good advice on shore excursion. Any to avoid.
How safe is Cozumel and Ocho Rios for wondering around?
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2001, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Shore excursion in Cozumel, Cayman and ocho ri

Hi Robin,
Its very safe walking around Cozumel and if you like to snorkel take a cab over to Chankanaab Park. I would definately stick to a tour in Jamaica, the falls are also a lot of fun there. As for Grand Cayman, be sure to go out to Sting Ray City,
its an awesome expierence, you don't want to miss that. The natives in Jamaica can tend to be a bit agressive, so just firmly say no if you are not interested in buying what they are selling and stick to a group or do a tour. BTW, what ship are you going on?? Have fun.

Donnassei
Old February 26th, 2001, 10:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

In the Cayman Islands go to Sting Ray City or go snorkelling. Avoid the island tour or the island highlights tour. They take you from one shopping place to another. Other than the Turtle Farm it was a waste of money.

In Cozumel we got off at Playa Del Carmen and took the tour to Tulum. If you are into history this is a great tour. However the tour takes 6.5 hours. If you prefer to party, this is not for you.

Barry
Old February 26th, 2001, 11:17 PM
Steve R.

We did the western Carrib. two years ago and had a blast! Ocho rios was fine and Cozumel was pretty cool. These folks want to be nice to you as you are leaving tourist dollars. We did the Mayan ruins and it was worth the money. We lucked out and sat in the front of the bus(The bus ride is a whole nuther story!) and talked with the young man that was our guide in between his canned speeches. He was great and we learned a tremendous amount from him. Ocho rios, we did a tour to Dunn's River falls and Island tour. Rent a taxi and do the falls if so inclined. It really is a cattle drive up the falls with the guides. There were litteraly hundreds of people there when we got there and it really took away from the true beauty of the area. We did some shopping and haggled nearly everywhere we went. If you are going to Grand Caymen, this is the real treat. Swim with the stingrays at least onece in your life. nothing else like it! Have a great trip! We had so much fun last time, we are booked in a month to do another to the Southern Carribean. Man I can't wait!
Old February 27th, 2001, 10:10 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Mark Send a message via Yahoo to Mark

We went on the Paradise with Carnival to the Western Carribean in October of 2000, We did alot of researching before leaving. I know that the cruise lines discourage you from going out on your own. But we found that for the most part it is the best way to enjoy that country. Ocho Rios - We got off the ship and they have a guy named Super that hooks you up with taxi drivers for the day. Instead of taking the cruise excursions that cost $35-60 a person, we decided to get a taxi. His name was Diamond, he had a great car and AIRCONDITIONING. He would take you where you wanted to go drop you off, pick you up at the designated time, and then take you to your next place. $80.00 for the whole day. We went to the Falls, the Botantical Gardens, Fern Gully, Shpopping at the Taj Mahal, and then the most magical place - Mahogany Beach. It is such a small quaint beach with chairs, drinks, food, and restrooms right on the beach. You give a donation for the chairs, the beach is free. This is a must see. No one even tells you about this. It does cost to get into the Gardens and the Falls. But it was so nice to do it without a crowd. Diamond takes real good care of you. He came back several times to check on us to see if we wanted to stay later or come back sooner at the beach. I would not however, venture out on your own walking except at the shopping centers.
Cayman Islands - We did take the tour for StingRay SANDBAR, This was Awesome, a definite must do.$ 32.00 per person. We then shopped for yummy rum cakes, and rum, and then off to 7 mile beach. It was beautiful we also took the shore tour for this. This included going to the Beach Club Hotel, a chair, a drink, and a buffet lunch for $25.00 per person. Another perfect day.
Cozumel - Chankalub Lagoon is the thing to do, it also is not on any shore excursions. This is the one place that taxi's are not a problem and no worries about walking around. You can take a taxi there for about $5.00 and then it costs $12.00 per person to get in. They have hammocks and shade, snorkeling, swimming, dolphins to swim with, botantical gardens, and trails. Buy any jewelry here- Rachet and Romero's has good buys. The best place for T-shirts is the very last store on the map, Los Cincos Soles. Three Shop Emporium has the best silver buys. And last but not least remember to go to Pancho's Backyard for the best Mexican food, and safe! Then at nightime go to Carlos and Charlies for more fun. Hope this has been helpful.
Old February 28th, 2001, 01:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Matt

I am going on the Triumph to the Western Caribbean for the third time and I can definitely recommend the excursion call "cool running" in Ocho Rios, which takes you by catamaran to the Dunn's River Falls. It is the best trip and a lot of fun with run drinks included. The trip back to the ship is awesome. Otherwise, Jamaica isn't too safe. Can get robbed if you get into the wrong cab. Cozumel is very safe. I have never done and excursion there b/c we make our own and of course we will be at Carlos n Charlie's the night of Cozumel. Enjoy....When r u going? Where u from? I amd going March 10th and I'm from NY
Old March 1st, 2001, 02:48 PM
Passenger

We are going on the Western Carribean cruise on 4-1-01. We are from Florida. This is our first cruise and hope not our last. Very concerned about the excursion. Everyone seems to say stay away from the cruiseships excursions.
Old March 1st, 2001, 02:48 PM
Passenger

We are going on the Western Carribean cruise on 4-1-01. We are from Florida. This is our first cruise and hope not our last. Very concerned about the excursion. Everyone seems to say stay away from the cruiseships excursions.Matt wrote:
>
Old March 5th, 2001, 03:56 PM
First Mate

As Robin mentioned I am also from FL, 1st time cruisers with Carnival and I have never done the West Caribbean. My DH has but that was about 8-9 years ago. I wanted to get the best possible feedback in order to make my plans, I will also be on the 4/1/01
Victory cruise. From what I've read, Jamaica is the one we should be concerned with and should definately take a tour. Otherwise, the other ports should be OK on our own. What do you think about the ruins tour with two children ages 11 and 6. They are well behaved but if it is something that will bore them I would rather not go.
Old March 16th, 2001, 05:42 PM
First Mate

I feel compelled to write to barbara, Don't take your kids to the ruins. It's a very long drive, very hot, and they'll have a much better time at Chanakaab Park where there's snorkling, beaching, dolphins, nature walk and much to enjoy.